Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 01:09 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,686,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR-DIR View Post
You are talking in extremes. No one is saying you or anyone else should be chatting all day about non work related topics. Instead you need to find a middle ground.
"Finding a middle ground" doesn't even apply here. Your posts suggest people who don't talk much are SO miserable to be around, they should be forced to talk and open up when the reality is a lot of those people leave everyone alone. Why seek out the attention of someone who won't talk much anyway, when there are other people who do talk much? It's like going to a party and then honing in on the person who's just enjoying their drink quietly at a table and making them enjoy the party more. What's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 01:21 PM

28,559 posts, read 18,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR-DIR View Post
Study after study has shown that employees who like each other as people and exchange SOME conversation about non work topics during slow times work more effectively as a team. And the 21st Century workplace is all about teams.

Yes, no one wants to work with someone who is talking all day about non work related topics but some friendly conversation is to be encouraged, it builds trust and comfort in the team.

When we interview candidates the ones who seem to fit in with the team socially will be at a strong advantage. Many of our hiring managers will start the interview with small talk to see if the candidate will be someone the team will want around. Few people want to work with someone who is ALL BUSINESS.
To be honest, that's only a Generation X attitude. It's one of the generational specifics they taught us Boomer managers back in the early 90s.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:30 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,377,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I wouldn't have been smiling. Irritating people need therapy!
She was the boss

Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I doubt the typical person wouldn't be willing to do some small talk about the Superbowl or what have you, and then after they get hired become all business.
I'm not a typical person. I know nothing about Superbowl and I'm not interested in weather talks. I am friendly and loyal but don't like increasing the entropy by useless talk. Does it mean I should not be hired?

Old 02-08-2014, 01:51 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,078,191 times
This is no longer my father’s workplace. I have no interest in your kids, some football game you watched last night or your troubles. I’m just here to sell my time.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:42 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,148,611 times
Quote:
"Finding a middle ground" doesn't even apply here. Your posts suggest people who don't talk much are SO miserable to be around, they should be forced to talk and open up when the reality is a lot of those people leave everyone alone. Why seek out the attention of someone who won't talk much anyway, when there are other people who do talk much? It's like going to a party and then honing in on the person who's just enjoying their drink quietly at a table and making them enjoy the party more. What's the point?
I am not sure if the party analogy is similar. Talking to a person alone at a table is better than interrupting people that are already talking to each other. I assume people going to parties are there to socialize at least a little. Otherwise, just enjoy a drink at home. At work, there are all types.

As to work, it is best if we can adapt to quiet, social people and people that are about average in that regard. Most of us will work with all those types at some point in our lives. I agree there have been exaggerations of quieter people in some of the posts.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I am not sure if the party analogy is similar. Talking to a person alone at a table is better than interrupting people that are already talking to each other. I assume people going to parties are there to socialize at least a little. Otherwise, just enjoy a drink at home. At work, there are all types.

As to work, it is best if we can adapt to quiet, social people and people that are about average in that regard. Most of us will work with all those types at some point in our lives. I agree there have been exaggerations of quieter people in some of the posts.
My point is, why is there a NEED to get that quiet person who barely talks to anyone to talk? If they're actually working, no one complains about them and they embody a modicum of professionalism, what is the real problem?

Old 02-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I'm not a typical person. I know nothing about Superbowl and I'm not interested in weather talks. I am friendly and loyal but don't like increasing the entropy by useless talk. Does it mean I should not be hired?
I agree with your sentiment than you think. No, it doesn't mean you shouldn't get hired, and I was primarily responding to "HR DIR's" posts.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
No, it doesn't mean you shouldn't get hired...
Thanks!

Old 02-09-2014, 12:44 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,148,611 times
Quote:
My point is, why is there a NEED to get that quiet person who barely talks to anyone to talk? If they're actually working, no one complains about them and they embody a modicum of professionalism, what is the real problem?
You are right. There should not be a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment