Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 06:33 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
What a sad state of affairs. People who want the workplace to be like a funeral home trying to justify not talking to anyone. How many jobs are out there that don't involve some type of team work? In my experience it is a lot easier to get people to work with you if you have some type of social and comfortable non work related relationship with them.

(And no, I don't support coworkers who talk about non work related things all day. But some chit chat should be encouraged.)
You're the person who went directly from being a corporate VP to cashiering at a 7-11. Huh...I wonder how such a thing could happen to such an astute person as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
That chit chat will most likely help you advance. It's all about who you know. It's really your loss.

I view them as either anti-social or socially awkward. I will talk to anyone and everyone and still be on top of all my work, no problem. But, it's my extra efforts with personal skill that gives me a huge one up over those that remain quiet and isolated from the real world.
Who you know? A recommendation from your boss is good enough and the poster you replied to just stated that his boss compliments him on his work ethic.

Being extroverted at work, such as yourself, isn't always a good thing.

The poster said that he only talks about things work-related, yet you think gossip and off-topic discussions is a "huge one up"?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:30 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Who you know? A recommendation from your boss is good enough and the poster you replied to just stated that his boss compliments him on his work ethic.

Being extroverted at work, such as yourself, isn't always a good thing.

The poster said that he only talks about things work-related, yet you think gossip and off-topic discussions is a "huge one up"?
Yeah... I've seen gossiping hens have their big mouths come back to bite them. Not a good look. I tend to avoid gossip at all costs especially in the workplace environment.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
Be honest--how do you feel about that coworker who barely ever says a word to anyone and always seems to be in his/her own world?
I think that is a person who came to work, to work and not socialize. America needs more people like that. It is also a person who minds his own business.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
as long as they don't snap and shoot up the place, its ok.
Exactly what I was thinking, especially about the guy described back in post #9. He would worry me.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 PM

390 posts, read 824,372 times
I don't talk at work unless it's work related, ever, but nobody does at my job. My job is pretty fast paced (I'm a developer at a web development company), so if the boss walks by while I'm socializing, I can get into trouble. There's pretty much an unspoken rule at my workplace that socializing is not allowed. Plus if I tried to talk to someone at work, they would get nervous that they would get in trouble or irritated that I'm interrupting them. Everyone is always so overwhelmed with things to do that we barely have time for bathroom breaks, much less talking to anyone. About the only thing I even knew about my co-workers before getting time to socialize at the Christmas party were their names and positions. I wish I had a slower paced job where I could socialize at work, but that's just the way things are I guess. I've worked at places that were far worse.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
I go to work to work. I don't get paid to socialize. When I worked in an office, I didn't speak much. I was too busy working!

I do NOT care who's sleeping with who, who's drinking when, about a ballgame from last night, about your kids, that your mother-in-law moved and has rearranged the furniture, that the mailroom guy watches Judge Judy while he's working, who you voted for, what your religion is, about Dungeons and Dragons, who's your baby daddy, be your Facebook friend, etc. I don't like drama and want no part of it. I don't need your fake friendship. I don't need to be backstabbed the second you turn around. So no I don't chit chat. I am paid to work. I am not being paid to be Maury Povich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
IN MOST CASES people who are promoted into management are folks who are outgoing and talkative. When you are in management much of your day is interaction. Introverts don't do well in management. If senior management sees you as introverted and standoffish to your coworkers, you will most likely be stuck in your current job a very long time!
This is far from true. I'm not a social butterfly. I keep to my self and do my work. Magically, I've been promoted at every company I've worked for. I was even a manager several times. How did I get promoted? Because I have a good work ethic. No one had to worry that I would come in hung over or spend the day chatting away not working. They knew if I was left an assignment, it would be done ASAP and done well.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:11 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,661 times
Considering I'm one myself, I'd consider them people who are focused on their work. Contrary to popular belief, being a busy body at work is not cute. If your promoted based on how nosy, gossiping and backstabbing you can be (ie socially awkward) in a day and time when you should be about BUILDING teamwork NOT tearing it down, its not the company I would want to spend 1/3 of my day with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
Be honest--how do you feel about that coworker who barely ever says a word to anyone and always seems to be in his/her own world?

Old 02-07-2014, 03:31 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,072 times
This is precisely why I work alone at night as a Security Officer. I don't interact with anyone thus there is zero opportunity to "offend" someone or anything like that. I come to work, complete my shift, then go home. I can chat all I want with my family when I get home. At work it's all about the quiet time.

I've had many previous jobs that dealt with customer service and interacting with all types of people, both fellow employees and customers. Despite how nice you try to be and how social you attempt to stay there is always going to be someone who takes something the wrong way or starts rumors or whatever. I worked at a call center where someone started a rumor I was gay just because I didn't take the opportunity with the office floozie at an after hours party.

So now I work alone and prefer it that way.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:54 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
Where I work now, they don't shut up! And, on top of it they email and text each other at least once week to trade days/hours, do lunch, whatever. I only wish I worked alone--maybe next job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment