Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM

333 posts, read 386,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
But do you think you see bad behavior more often in small companies or big companies?
From my experience I can't tell if one or the other is better or worse. It varies from the culture and people you work with. Maybe one time corporate was worse over small, but now it doesn't matter. Employers across the board are on a high horse as they know it's a buyers market for them, and they can be picky and throw anybody out at anytime to have them replaced in a few weeks. Honestly it really comes down to the people you work with as I've had great bosses and co-workers to people who basically find ways to criticize you and make your job harder on purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
We used to work at a Soup Kitchen but left because so much of what was supposed to be going to the hungry was being resold or taken for other uses. This particular one was run by a church group who collected the donated food from places like Trader Joe, Safeway, or Lucky. The senior centers who offer free bread, forget to tell you that the stale bread is all that is left after the staff and others have picked over it. I totally cringe at the holiday food drives as there is so little protecting the hungry. If they will do it to the hungry, they will do it to you.

Greed, in sector, is an ugly emotion.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:41 PM

361 posts, read 922,343 times
There's always been a lot of jerks out there and every society has fostered it's fair share of cut-throat (much more literally in some cases) behavior. This isn't something that was invented by Reagan in the 1980s.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:37 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,180 times
It's not just management, it is the people who work in HR. I try to avoid dealings with HR, but the few times I have dealt with them they are just beyond useless, and often are in cahoots with management anyways. I got laid off last May and I swear the head of the department was smirking. How someone with no degree, an obvious drug addiction, and a filthy mouth can make it to the head of the department, bringing in close to 100K a year is beyond me.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:50 PM

878 posts, read 942,275 times
Because Reagan made it ok for them to be that way.

Reagan ruined America.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I disagree with the statement that there are just as many "snakes" in other roles as in the corporate world. I think the corporate world attracts this personality to itself. Having worked in it for 3 years now Ive seen the worst in human nature that Ive seen in 10 years of working. I feel that manual labor jobs actually promote a brotherhood, saw this in several jobs I held. Corporate work is designed to be backstabbing in nature, from the top down.
I actually agree that the corporate world attracts and cultivates these reptiles. However, I've seen the dark side of human nature in so-called, blue collar jobs as well. Those brotherhoods can be exclusionary.
That same kind of behavior is present in the corporate world. People stick together and keep out those who "don't belong". That's one reason why some companies become inbred, dysfunctional, snake pits.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 PM

361 posts, read 922,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
Because Reagan made it ok for them to be that way.

Reagan ruined America.
I forgot that human nature was perfectly altruistic before Reagan tampered with our DNA and ruined everything. This seems to be verified by the fact that Wall Street starring Michael Douglass and Charlie Sheen didn't come until 1987.

Clearly everything was running smoothly until that time.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I guess it started with hostile takeovers in the 80s but it just seems these days people will throw you under the bus for $15/hr. It just seems crazy to me the way humans treat each other in the corporate environment. Not even co-workers but executives are by far the worst scum bags of them all. Anyone else have this feeling or can lay some insight into the whole "hey this is business so i will ********* over no matter what" mantra?
1. The decline of Christianity in America (and perhaps religion in general) leaves far more people feeling that they don't have to answer to a "higher power"... therefore they feel that there will be no punishment for their evildoing if it ain't caught here on earth.

2. People reward those who do such terrible things, either inherently or directly. Such people get sensationalized - meaning that they no longer toil in obscurity. When they're noticed, they can advance... even if the reason why they're noticed is rooted in negativity.

The answer to your question is simple. There are snakes because people get rewarded for being snakes. If nobody ever got rewarded for being a snake, nobody would ever be a snake. Since the rewards almost always come from people OTHER than those who are being snakes, the true guilty party is the one you see when you look in the mirror. Do you buy anything from any company that operates in any underhanded or "mean" way? Y'ever checked the press on the companies to which you give your money? Do you allow your own managers / bosses to be "snakes" to you by tacitly accepting it instead of fighting back and/or quitting?

Only we can stop people from being snakes. We have to stop rewarding snakiness.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:04 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Well part of the problem is these people should have never been given management positions to begin with...IF said managers were promoted from within then the company culture supports this type of person OR someone dropped the ball big time. This all goes back to HR not doing their job and just being useless overpaid, party planner paper pushers and figureheads. I'm sure before these managers were promoted workers had problems with them and a number of things could have been detected. HR and upper management do not take on things like workplace harassment and many snake managers engaged in workplace harassment and foul play before they became managers..it's partially how they got there to begin with through sneaky tactics and debauchery. That's why it's worse at big companies it's easier for them to blend in with the crowd and not get noticed. The best thing you can do is get an alliance against these people and shine the spotlight on them in front of as many people as possible.
HR will do nothing if the senior HR officials have been in the company for years and themselves owe their careers to the cabal of other senior managers and executives. The same thing goes for the CEO. Essentially nobody wants to rock the boat on those who are watching their backs, so they tolerate the behavior of bad managers.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:01 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
1. The decline of Christianity in America (and perhaps religion in general) leaves far more people feeling that they don't have to answer to a "higher power"... therefore they feel that there will be no punishment for their evildoing if it ain't caught here on earth.
Yep. I bet all of those "snakes" are atheists. Makes total sense since 90% + identify as being religious.

I know I usually do a little raping and pillaging on my way home from work twice a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment