Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:53 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times

Advertisements

No. Use your accounts payable position to become a staff accountant at your company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 10:48 PM

163 posts, read 311,440 times
Depends on the potential growth prospects at your current company vs. the other. If your current job is likely one you'll still be stuck in in 10 years with little growth, it might be worth taking a chance now rather than wondering later. Also, depends on your financial situation and income needs.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:22 PM

69 posts, read 176,332 times
Default The Internship is not Guaranteed

Yes they know that I am working full time and making more money than they are offering me. The only reason I am considering this is because its in my field and will give me some corporate tax exposure, which is where I ultimately want to end up. The company is not a CPA firm its a software development company, with an in house tax division.

Accounts Payable is really boring I only planned to give it one year of my life anyway.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:29 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
It would depend. Since almost all internships are paid now I would have to see both the pay of the internship and the pay of the current position.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:07 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
the big question isn't what makes more -- it is, "Do I have enough savings for six months should my internship not grant me a job offer?"

Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountingDude View Post
Would you quit a full time job to do an internship in your field for less pay?
As long as the pay was still enough for me to pay my bills, absolutely. But I've worked in my field before and it's just one that's tricky to get back into so snagging an internship is almost always just a way to show you're back in it and getting a job at that point isn't a problem. If it's a completely new field and your internship is your first go at it, I don't know.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:55 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountingDude View Post
Yes they know that I am working full time and making more money than they are offering me. The only reason I am considering this is because its in my field and will give me some corporate tax exposure, which is where I ultimately want to end up. The company is not a CPA firm its a software development company, with an in house tax division.

Accounts Payable is really boring I only planned to give it one year of my life anyway.
I worked as a CFO in the construction industry and with a public firm in the field. Construction is a good niche to know in accounting, but accounts payable jobs are something that most companies fill with 2 year community college folks or a GED individual with some training.

Are you getting any experience doing construction in progress scheduling? Certified labor work? Lien waiver documentation? AIA billings? Time and material billings? Accounting for fixed assets?

Since it sounds like this allows you to move towards your goals, I would pursue the software development company internship. The accounting is much more complex and you will get a taste of it for the future.

Don't discount working in public accounting for a few years before you go into corporate tax. Most companies will want big 4 experience anyways.

Last edited by Suncc49; 02-07-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-07-2014, 09:40 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times
If I were you'd I'd wait and jump when I find a full-time position in your field, or an internship that will definitely lead to a full-time position, rather than an internship that may or may not lead to one.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
the big question isn't what makes more -- it is, "Do I have enough savings for six months should my internship not grant me a job offer?"
More like one year or more.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:13 PM

69 posts, read 176,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
More like one year or more.
Not exactly I get paid pretty well for my AP role so I might need 3 months to save and I am a very disciplined saver so I already have a decent amount saved up for emergencies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment