Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 06:10 PM

551 posts, read 582,708 times

Advertisements

I do not understand the hostility towards the OP or towards HR in general on this board. Taking a shot in the dark the visitors to this particular forum are experiencing frustrations with finding or promoting employment...issues many experience now, due to a weakened economy. This is not HR's fault.

I find the advice helpful and as the OP said, in order to win the game, you have to play by the rules. If you don't play by the rules you won't win. Bearing in mind increased competition in the market decreases your chances of winning regardless. It's almost the lottery nowadays. HR does the best they can under the circumstances, as should you. Focus on being the best you can be, as a candidate, in an increasingly diverse and competitive market. There are no sure bets anymore. The OP shared some honest and very real insights, and whether he/she agrees with the fairness of these practices, they DO exist. Be cognizant of this. Whining and berating the unfairness of it all will not change the reality of our present circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,311,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is amazing that when someone in a position to know, tries to pass on their knowledge to those looking for work, that they do not listen to the advice.

They get angry, is he/she does not tell them what they want to hear.

They are without work, or wanting to move up in the world, but will not take an insiders advice on how the real world works from the employers side. They are not accepting the fact, that they may be doing something wrong when they are looking for work.

They think they are an exception to the rule, and rules the company uses to hire people should not apply to them when they are applying for work.

Every company of any size, develops a plan to hire employees that works for them. And most companies will be working with much the same plans, as over the years, it has proven to work for them.

If it works well for them, and they can attract and keep a decent work force with minimum loss of employees and can replace the lost employees with a good quality replacement, why change their plan of operation. They have long ago, learned if they keep making changes in the plan, that there are problems that spring up, and they will hire a few people that do not work out and costs the company money to replace them.

This is a good example, of how people are out of work, and do not listen to an insider that can help them.

OP said: 1) Pick up cues from the recruiter or hiring manager when you do that long walk from the conference room to the location of your interview regarding small talk. So many candidates are so nervous that they don't say anything when we try to make small talk to them. They may have all their talking points figured out for technical questions but they can't carry on a conversation without using their Smartphone.

The response from a reader: Why? So you can throw trick questions at them?

OP said: 2) Have 5-6 talking points ready for the interview. These are things you want to bring up regardless of the actual questions they ask you.

Readers response: Why?? All most people care about is the salary and if they're going to get a shi$$y boss.

This is the same attitude by so many of the young people on this tread, unemployed, and do not understand what the OP is saying. This attitude, is what is costing them jobs. Simply talking to the person off the record, so they can see a little of your personality, and eagerness to work there, the responder above, thinks is just a trick to keep from hiring them. If you want the job, show you are a friendly easy to talk to person, as that type of person is what they are looking for.

And telling them to do some research on the company, and to ask a few questions to show their real interest in the job, is too much as all the responder wants is to know how much the pay is. They show right there, they are not really interested in the job, but only want a pay check. Who wants to hire someone like this. Either show an interest in the company and the job, showing you really want to work for the company, or forget getting the job. There is no need to know how much the pay is, as you will never be paid by them.

When you are applying for a job, you are there to show the company representative that you are really interested in working for the company. That you are a nice person that is pleasant to be around, so you will fit in with the other employees. That you have a real interest in knowing more about the company, and the job you are applying for.

The responder above, will go into the reject pile every time. I know as back in my corporate days, I interviewed a lot of people, and people like him/her were automatically rejected.

You are there to sell the company on you, and why you are the best applicant and they should hire you. If you don't make the sale, you will not get the job.

Listen to the OP, and take the advice he/she is passing on to you. It is the real world of employment, and advice that you should listen to. If you are not willing to do what she/he is saying you are not going to get a lot of good jobs.

Look, I don't have a problem with this. I'm calling her on "we don't hire old people who live 35 miles away and were out of work 121 days"

Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
I do not understand the hostility towards the OP or towards HR in general on this board. Taking a shot in the dark the visitors to this particular forum are experiencing frustrations with finding or promoting employment...issues many experience now, due to a weakened economy. This is not HR's fault.

I find the advice helpful and as the OP said, in order to win the game, you have to play by the rules. If you don't play by the rules you won't win. Bearing in mind increased competition in the market decreases your chances of winning regardless. It's almost the lottery nowadays. HR does the best they can under the circumstances, as should you. Focus on being the best you can be, as a candidate, in an increasingly diverse and competitive market. There are no sure bets anymore. The OP shared some honest and very real insights, and whether he/she agrees with the fairness of these practices, they DO exist. Be cognizant of this. Whining and berating the unfairness of it all will not change the reality of our present circumstances.
The problem is that HR is complicit in the rules. They are more than happy to carry them out if that means they get to keep their job. No matter how silly the rules are or how many laws they break.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM

120 posts, read 212,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR-DIR View Post
I am a long term observer on the City Data Board but I have never posted before. It's so interesting to see the back and forth on this board.

4) After a key word search identifies the top 50 resumes, each resume gets about 10 seconds. You are in the reject pile if you don't fit these criteria:

* Live within 30 miles of the job
* Have training or work experience doing the same type of work.
* Show upward mobility
* Show accomplishments that showed you did more than the job description
* Attended professional development in your field.
* Have been employed in the last 4 months. (We don't bother with the long term unemployed in most cases unless they come through an employee referral.)
* Appear to be currently or recently making about the salary we are going to pay. (90% of our applicants are under or over qualified.)

What do you think. Fellow HR or hiring managers, do you agree? Or want to challenge or add to my list?
I do not agree with " Live within 30 miles of the job". I have had many job interviews within 2,000 miles.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's ridiculous. That's like saying nurses are collaborators because the hospital discriminates against the uninsured. If people are so angry, they should write to the 1%, who DO make the rules, yet everyone seems to defend, putting all their anger and hostility to others who are just "cogs in
the wheel" as most of us are rather than the corporations who make these decisions. I think it's helpful to know what we're up against, I don't see how shooting the messenger helps anyone.

Hospitals don't discriminate against the uninsured. They are required by law to take anyone who is sick in.

And if the "cogs in the wheel" pushed back a little bit, maybe something would happen.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:27 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
If it's 30 miles of the job then why would any company use a website? I know professional jobs that are advertised nationally. People relocate for them all the time.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:07 PM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
The problem is that HR is complicit in the rules. They are more than happy to carry them out if that means they get to keep their job. No matter how silly the rules are or how many laws they break.
This is pretty much EVERY job. Most people have certain rules at their workplace that we think are stupid or misguided, but guess what, your job is to carry out what your superiors want. Your job IS to follow the rules your organization makes. In what industry is this not the case?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Hospitals don't discriminate against the uninsured. They are required by law to take anyone who is sick in.

And if the "cogs in the wheel" pushed back a little bit, maybe something would happen.
They TRIED, the 99 percenters, and they were ridiculed and reviled by the very people whose backs they were trying to have, namely ours, the "cogs". The "masters" have successfully convinced too many people that our enemies are within our ranks and even below them rather than at the top, and we are paying a serious price for it. A cog "pushing back" against another cog is going to change exactly nothing. If any of you are old to remember the comic strip Pogo, "We have seen the enemy, and he is us". That's what this thread makes me think of.

You want to "push back"? Find out which companies have policies that are bad for the average worker, and stop spending money with those companies (after you write them so they know WHY they are no longer getting your money). Find out which politicians support laws that are bad for workers, and stop electing them (after you write to them and tell them why they will no longer get your vote). Start your own business, and treat your employees the way you want to be treated. Run for a local election. Write a letter to the editor of your paper. This is how you "push back".

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-09-2014 at 09:04 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL;33400616[B
]Hospitals don't discriminate against the uninsured. They are required by law to take anyone who is sick in.[/b]

Yes, they do. I have worked in health care for 18 years. They take them in the ER but they don't get the same treatment and they get kicked out the second they're not dying. Try getting good treatment for cancer or another serious illness without insurance. Emergency rooms can't fix everything.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They TRIED, the 99 percenters, and they were ridiculed and reviled by the very people whose backs they were trying to have, namely ours, the "cogs". The "masters" have successfully convinced too many people that their enemies are within our ranks and even below them rather than at the top, and we are paying a serious price for it. A cog "pushing back" against another cog is going to change exactly nothing. If any of you are old to remember the comic strip Pogo, "We have seen the enemy, and he is us". That's what this thread makes me think of.
I cannot rep you enough for this post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment