Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 4,890 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm looking into getting a certification. I'm currently working in tech support in the UK, and I'm looking at getting something that will help me progress in the future. My wife is a US citizen and we are considering moving to her hometown in Massachusetts. I want to make sure I get a certification that is valid in both countries, so that's why I'm asking here.

I had previously looked into doing a CCNA, but a lot of people have told me to get into the Network Security area, due to it being a growing area.

My question is - Where do I start? Any certifications I can do? Anyone recommend anything different?
I'm thinking about looking into an MCSE, as I use windows server in my current role and find it easy to use.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
What is your current background/experience? Keep in mind that 'network security' is just that - securing the network (or certain aspects of it). Thus, you should have a good background in networking. Having a good grasp of what a CCNA requires is a good start (notice I didn't say to get a CCNA. IMO - there's a difference between having those letters after your name and actually having the experience utilizing those skills/knowledge).

If you go the MS route, keep in mind that it's more about how their solutions are implemented. This may or may not help depending on the environment you are working in. There's obviously a lot of overlap between security, network and infrastructure services (servers, storage, applications, etc); so the more overall experience you have in those areas, the better you will be at adapting to new concepts and methodologies.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 4,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
What is your current background/experience? Keep in mind that 'network security' is just that - securing the network (or certain aspects of it). Thus, you should have a good background in networking. Having a good grasp of what a CCNA requires is a good start (notice I didn't say to get a CCNA. IMO - there's a difference between having those letters after your name and actually having the experience utilizing those skills/knowledge).

If you go the MS route, keep in mind that it's more about how their solutions are implemented. This may or may not help depending on the environment you are working in. There's obviously a lot of overlap between security, network and infrastructure services (servers, storage, applications, etc); so the more overall experience you have in those areas, the better you will be at adapting to new concepts and methodologies.
Thanks for your response. My current background and experience is in Telecoms, I'm currently working in support for cisco CAD, genesys, verint call recording, and windows server machines.

I know exactly what you mean about the difference between having those letters and having the experience - Unfortunately I have no means for the experience, without the letters. In the US it seems the job market relies a lot more heavily on having certs, so that's why I'm looking into doing some as I'm thinking of moving there (my wife is a US Citizen).

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:29 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,958 times
The best way to go about this to actually look at a large number job postings for Network Security positions and take note of the requirements that they are looking for. If out of 100 different postings, 70 mention a strong preference for applicants with Cisco experience..then having the CCNA may likely make you more competitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment