Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:11 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times

Advertisements

Seems like all the local check cashing companies hire sign wavers - people dressed up in outlandish costumes to jump around on the side of the road and wave a sign advertising their business.

Do they honestly think this is effective? What is the point? I don't see how it is worth paying someone 8 hours a day to do this, but is there something I'm missing? Has anyone actually done this for a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 07:19 AM

136 posts, read 176,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
What is the point? I don't see how it is worth paying someone 8 hours a day to do this, but is there something I'm missing?
It's a way of circumventing city ordinances that don't allow the company to put up billboards and electronic message readers.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:33 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Seems like all the local check cashing companies hire sign wavers - people dressed up in outlandish costumes to jump around on the side of the road and wave a sign advertising their business.

Do they honestly think this is effective? What is the point? I don't see how it is worth paying someone 8 hours a day to do this, but is there something I'm missing? Has anyone actually done this for a job?
A painting company here in Fort Collins went from unknown and barely surviving to a thriving business that everybody in town knows about. They did it through 1 guy standing on the busiest intersection of town waving a sign. everybody in town knows the guy, you talk about the sign guy and everybody smiles and knows exactly who you are talking about. He also supports a family with 5 kids through that job. I would say it works for everybody.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
It's decent, honest work. I'd do it.

Also, some stores are located off the street and may not be visible to passing traffic. A "sign person" can inform hundred of people a day. It works.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We got plagued with them in nearby cities due to ordinances that forbid the use of sandwich-board signs except for a real estate open house during the open house.

They are used mostly for mattress stores and new home developments, but also retailers. Some of the more lively people are getting $12-15/hour. Another one that people tried was buying and parking a dead van with lettering all over it, but eventually the cities caught on and passed ordinances about parking a vehicle over 72 hours in the same spot.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,127 times
Ever heard of guerrilla marketing? This is it. It's marketing at its' most basic, cheapest, grassroots level and can be pretty effective. It's especially useful for small or new businesses who aren't blessed with millions in advertising budgets and their own marketing department.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:34 AM

389 posts, read 692,163 times
Quote:

It's a huge turn-off to me while driving by. The last thought that comes to mind is to do my business there. Also, I don't remember seeing people up North doing this.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Because the economy is still running on fumes, business needs money, willing try anything, and some poor soul needs a soul crushing job.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Sign waving is a good job.

You get paid every day in cash, and they don't really expect that you will be back tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:17 AM

219 posts, read 430,782 times
They are advertisers, not salesman. If you noticed them, even long enough to ask "what's the point" or to be "turned off" by them, then they did their job. They are not supposed to convince you to stop in and buy the product or service once you see them.

The above comment about their use by the paint company is a perfect example. People did not see the person and think "I need paint". They noticed the person, nothing more. But when the time came that they did need paint, they remembered where they could buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment