Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 AM

1,098 posts, read 890,942 times

Advertisements

I have a degree but no actual experience. If I held a huge list of accomplishments I'd put them on my resume...but I don't. Am I out of luck? Even internships are competitive. For some reason people think they are given out like candy. They're not. Especially in my field (GIS/Remote Sensing/Geography). I'm almost a year out of college and underemployed as a part time package handler.

I would like to start out in a GPS/Surveying role. Here's the kind of path I would prefer...
GIS Jobs Clearinghouse: Position Detail

With that being said, I know forestry jobs are extremely difficult to come by. I'd be happy with almost anything.

I started attending a local GIS user group but they only meet roughly once every 2 or 3 months and it hasn't been helpful yet. I've been told to move west. Colorado and Texas in particular seem to have good GIS jobs but I have no money to move right now. It's been seemingly impossible to land out of state interviews. I've only had 5 since graduation and they've all been in Ohio.

Here's a copy of my resume trailed towards Cartography. I have another version for Remote sensing. I know the coursework section is a little awkward but I really don't know what else to say;
https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=Kp...gG-2AeGjVaNpMQ

I realize my heading is slightly off center but that's only because I changed the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,427,748 times
One small point. Internships are definitely competitive but you had 8 semester and 4 summers to have gotten something. Part time work, volunteer work, work study, etc.

With that said, you have to do the basics:

1. Go out immediately and find a place to do some professional volunteer work in technology. You need it for your resume and to build your skills.
2. You need to rework your resume. It looks like the resume for a school kid. If you don't have job experience, you need to highlight the skills you bring to the table. Get rid of the Objective at the top. Have someone you trust review your resume. If need be, find a GIS person in your area and ask them to review your resume. People will help new graduates when you let them know you aren't hitting them up directly for a job.
3. Here are GIS jobs: Geographic Information Systems Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com . You will have to look nationally. Begin looking at places that are within a 12 hour driving distance. Also look in cities where you have family and friends who would let you stay with them for 2-3 months. Those places are your best bet.
4. You have to keep applying and applying. Don't get weary and tired and don't give up.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Here's an Ohio job. Deadline is March 2nd. That's enough time to rework your resume.

KentuckyWorks

Old 02-08-2014, 02:12 PM

1,098 posts, read 890,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
2. You need to rework your resume. It looks like the resume for a school kid. If you don't have job experience, you need to highlight the skills you bring to the table. Get rid of the Objective at the top. Have someone you trust review your resume. If need be, find a GIS person in your area and ask them to review your resume. People will help new graduates when you let them know you aren't hitting them up directly for a job.
Is this better? or too wordy
https://workspaces.acrobat.com/app.h...JPH8MVGolJqRUg

I have skills..I just don't know how to express them in a resume without looking like a "school kid"

I just wrote that up so there's probably a lot of stuff that needs rewording..but am I moving in the right direction?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:46 PM

Here's a good example. For the qualifications, you'll want to pull stuff directly from the job posting and change the wording around some. You'll need to change them and customized it for each job you apply for.

You'll also need a strong cover letter.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:40 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,317,245 times
to be honest. GIS jobs are one of the easiest places to find an internship.

you need to start by doing it for free if you have no exp. yet and are having a hard time finding paid work. Then keep working your way up.

In GIS experience is everything.

I did not look at your resume...

make sure you are specific about what you can do with GIS, what you know, programs, versions etc. Be willing to work in any fields (municipal, engineering, enviornmental, marketing, etc.)

that is how you start. Do not move west without getting some experience first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment