Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:47 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
A reputable MBA requires prerequisite foundational business courses. The Mba entrance exam should test students on those foundational principles.
That's not true....MBA programs routinely admit people from completely unrelated majors, such as engineering and others. Many top MBA programs even give business undergrad a disadvantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:34 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times
Yes they admit people with unrelated majors, but you still have to take prerequisite courses. You cant just go start a Masters in Business with no understanding of Accounting or Finance.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:43 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
That's not true....MBA programs routinely admit people from completely unrelated majors, such as engineering and others. Many top MBA programs even give business undergrad a disadvantage.
I'm sure they like to have people from different backgrounds, because it makes for a more diverse learning experience. A lot of them also probably have a job related to business or management.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:55 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,351 times
Quote:
Yes they admit people with unrelated majors, but you still have to take prerequisite courses. You cant just go start a Masters in Business with no understanding of Accounting or Finance.
Most of the programs that I'm familiar with will have you take basic accounting, marketing and finance your first semester. I don't know of any MBA program that requires you to have taken these classes prior to admission. What's your source?

Old 02-12-2014, 04:53 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Most of the programs that I'm familiar with will have you take basic accounting, marketing and finance your first semester. I don't know of any MBA program that requires you to have taken these classes prior to admission. What's your source?
It's standard for any masters program if you didn't study it before or work in the field.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:12 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
It's standard for any masters program if you didn't study it before or work in the field.
I don't believe that's the case for an MBA. If you've seen any literature claiming that MBA candidates should complete a prescribed set of business courses prior to entering the program, I'd be interested in seeing it. My MBA program certainly didn't require it, and several of my classmates from undergrad (engineering) completed their MBAs and I never heard any of them talk about taking any formal business classes beforehand.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:49 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
Normally I would slam MBA programs but I would kinda recommend doing this.

Take online business classes
http://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/13...-under-a-grand
Now I'm not going to specifically say that this is the same as a "true" mba. I'm actually current taking three (four as of sunday and five in a few weeks) online business classes. Just because they are free in the money sense does not really mean they are free in amounts of time. I'm juggling the 2-3 hours I have after work and weekends to do this. The intro to finance one is quite deep for what some might consider a free class. The syllabus alone is ten pages.

The way I see it I have a masters already but to show continuing education I don't mind taking the time to take online classes. I figure 3-4 in the spring, summer and fall should add up in a few years. Will I say I have a MBA? Nope. But they will be on my linkedin profile.

Study for the GMAT.
Why? Because I would argue the programs that don't ask for GMAT aren't good programs. If you find a program that does require a prescribed set of business courses (which I doubt) you can use the Coursera ones listed on that site.

My masters is in another field that is directly related to my undergraduate. Most people that were in my masters program were not of this undergrad major, it was all over the place. Finance, fire science, criminal justice etc.

Read business books...lots of business books.
Here's a list of 99 books
The 99 Best Business Books - Recommended Reading List

Sometimes when people talk about business as a subject I think it's like Magic eye. There's something there but no one can agree to as to what it is.With that in mind I would recommend online classes, reading and taking the GMAT. I don't think a business education should cost tens if not 100k. You don't need a MBA to understand Drucker or make a business plan.

You might also like this
Ahead of the Curve: Two Years at Harvard Business School: Philip Delves Broughton: 9780143115434: Amazon.com: Books

Old 02-12-2014, 07:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Quote:
An MBA is a MASTERS in business. If youve never even worked in business then how have you mastered it. Im really baffled by these Uni's that admit students who havent worked in the field. I waited to start my Masters until Ive worked in my field for 3 years and I can tell now I am a WAY different person than I was when I finished my bachelors. Learning theory is one thing, learning theory and applying it to past/current experience is another.

OP I would NOT hire an MBA with no work experience. All that shows me is that you couldnt find a job so signed up for more schooling. Sorry if that sounds harsh but Im a hypothetical business owner/ upper manager who needs a job done, and has no time to waste.
By your logic, wouldn't EVERY Masters program have the same problem? No one could apply or get into school for a Masters in social work, math, physics, education, computer science, etc unless they've worked in the field.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
This is simply false. I don't know where you are coming up with this stuff. There are no requirements for accounting or finance courses at almost all of the top mba programs for accounting or finance couses. And almost all non-business students don't take those courses.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I don't believe that's the case for an MBA. If you've seen any literature claiming that MBA candidates should complete a prescribed set of business courses prior to entering the program, I'd be interested in seeing it. My MBA program certainly didn't require it, and several of my classmates from undergrad (engineering) completed their MBAs and I never heard any of them talk about taking any formal business classes beforehand.
Ok to clarify, maybe the program will admit you without the foundational courses, but you will spend the first semester or 2 taking the prerequ foundational courses. You cant actually start the 5000 level+ courses until youve done so. I had a buddy graduate from Law school and go to UNF to get his MBA, he had to do just that.

There is just no way an English major will walk into a reputable MBA program and Ace a 6000 level Finance course with no previous foundation courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment