Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Fast paced = stress, frequent hard deadlines, demanding bosses, people who have no life outside of work, and long hours.

Been there, done that, have no desire whatsoever to return to that kind of environment.
I love fast paced work environment and a challenge it is one of the reasons thing that I am proceeding to have a career in emergency medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
In your experience, do you tend to avoid places like this?
I usually brush off "fast paced" because as mentioned by others, it's relatively meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
I'm a software developer, and in my experience, whenever a company says that they are looking for someone that "thrives in a fast-paced" environment or "the ability to work under pressure", it immediately sends a red flag to me. To me, this usually translates as "we have no specs, unit tests, and we don't care about long term viability of the software you write, we just want it shoved out the door as soon as possible under ridiculous deadlines". That, or it's speak for them wanting younger people with great passion and energy, yet willing to work for less money
Don't forget, no scope, no requirements, we want people with certification that you can't get anymore because the vendors no longer offer them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktop View Post
I'd say everything is fast-paced and its probably a filler word for the job opening post. You won't find a job that says "slow-paced".
For that matter, I love reading the company info sections... we hire intelligent people, self motivated, fun, work life balance.... no company will advertise anyways that they'll be in a mismanaged-to-the-ground hell hole, in the proximity of soul sucking succubae.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:09 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,147,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Good idea, but that's going to be really tough because if it is that bad, they won't allow you talk to anyone, because they know no on will take the job if they do. Over my 20 plus years of employment talking to an employee about how dysfunctional the place honestly was happened one time. And that place only allowed that because most quit in less than 30 days so it played to their recruiting efforts, or better stated lack there of.
I meant if you happened to know someone there or had mutual friends who could put you in touch with someone. No, the interviewer probably wouldn't want you to talk to anyone.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:19 PM

38 posts, read 58,493 times
Fast-paced means ....not boring and get ready to move and shake!
I would prefer faster than slower any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment