Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:56 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times

Advertisements

Most RN programs require some form of volunteer work to apply, and if not, they usually involve some sort of practice in your first year anyway.

I'm not a nurse, but I do work in emergency services. My best advice? Be the kind of person who can be kind and patient, but who can keep some form of an emotional distance. Be able to walk away from it and leave it at work, or you'll burn out in your non-work life.

If you can deal with children with disabilities, you can be a nurse, just IMO. I personally found raising my autistic son to be much harder than dealing with the general public in their pain and misery. Whether or not you can survive in pediatric oncology, well, I think that is one of those situations that you don't know until you get there. That is probably the most heart-wrenching area to specialize in, I couldn't even pretend to imagine. I've not dealt with pediatric oncology but I've dealt with child sexual assault, and there is a certain amount of blanking-out that you have to do in order to do the job right. You have to learn to be a rock when everyone else is unstable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment