Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover5050 View Post
this in come equlity stuff is just bull.
I have two year degree and a job that requires speicif skills
why should some burger flipper
who could not be bothered to get an eduacation or skills for a better job make almost as much as i do
not my problem they are too lazy to get a real job
Please tell us you are kidding with the bad spelling, right? Is this supposed to be witty? I don't understand your post - surely you must see how badly written it is and all of the spelling errors. What is your point? At least a burger flipper can probably write a complete sentence and spell correctly. What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 12:22 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
This is one of the fundamental flaws in our society. No one appreciates hard work any more. I sometimes feel like we've created a caste system where those who work for a living are looked down upon. To make matters worse, we have various sub-castes within the working class where the "burger flippers" and the WM greeters are the lowest of the low. I don't understand that. What's so bad about working for a living?
For decades I worked administration jobs. Then I moved somewhere where the only jobs I could find were in the service industry. So be it. I started working in positions like a cashier, a parks worker, an information clerk, a baker, in a nursing home, etc. One thing all those jobs required was good customer service. That I have. To be honest those jobs, for me, were more fun and rewarding than sitting in an office all day.

So I also don't understand why some people look down on others for the type of job they have.

Last edited by geebabe; 02-11-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 01:34 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
There is a fundamental belief in this society - and probably in others as well - that as long as somebody is beneath you in socioeconomic status, it is acceptable to look down on them, treat them like trash, and so on. It's pathetic, but it explains why people who work service jobs are generally treated like trash, why hard work is rarely rewarded, and why many people in poverty wage jobs hate their position in life so badly; the pay is terrible, but they are also treated as less-than-human failures.

It's a great system, however, for those at the top. If you can convince the population that the *real problem* in the nation is somehow the "lazy" minimum wage workers, you can get the people to turn on themselves vs. asking the more difficult questions, such as: why does all the wealth flow to the top? Why have our leaders, regardless of political party, encouraged the destruction of American jobs? Why are Bailouts okay for huge, crooked, failed businesses, but food stamps need to be cut to punish those "lazy" poverty-wage workers? So many questions that need to be asked... better distract the people with sports, endless wars against "terror," and skillfully created hot-button issues that get everyone riled up and screaming hate and nonsense.

You know a nation is hosed when you've got people one step above poverty wage work blaming the people one step down from them on the socio-economic ladder for being "lazy welfare bums" while nobody bothers to follow the money and figure out what's really going on.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:43 PM

84 posts, read 133,718 times
Wow, such very thoughtful comments in rant post. I am truly impressed.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM

334 posts, read 584,993 times
Quote:
who could not be bothered to get an eduacation or skills for a better job make almost as much as i do
Don't be angry at the burger flipper or those who fight to have a living wage for the job they do. The companies they work for make their shareholders wealthy, and their senior management wealthy, but do not give a living wage for the work that earns that wealth.

Be concerned at the situation you are also in - evidently you are not being paid commensurate with your special skills and degree. Why? Because of the burger flippers? No, because of that pesky "income inequality" you fear and dislike.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
What exactly would be a good reward? A pat in the back is good enough.

I think people seem to forgot that you are paid today for the value you offer regardless of how hard or easy it takes.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:50 PM

307 posts, read 405,205 times
none of you are getting what the op means. he meant why should a burger flipper's wages rise to the level of skilled labor? al you have to offer is insults and lies. To HELL with wealth redistribution.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
People are not rewarded for hard work. People are rewarded based on how much value they add to their employer. If their skills are rare and add a lot of value they will make more money than someone who works like a dog but has skills that are easy to replace. Who do you think works harder, a professional baseball player, or the grounds keeping crew? I would guess that the grounds keeping crew works 100 times harder than the players. However, there are many more people who can be part of the grounds keeping crew than there are people capable of being professional baseball players.

You can work really hard and get nowhere if you are not actually adding value to your employer.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
none of you are getting what the op means. he meant why should a burger flipper's wages rise to the level of skilled labor? al you have to offer is insults and lies. To HELL with wealth redistribution.
First, I do find it amusing that burger flipping is considered completely mindless work. It's not "skilled labor" per say, but it's not an easy job, either. It's a miserable, stressful job environment where you get to interact with countless people with 1st world problems who want to take it out on you.

More importantly, burger flippers get paid about minimum wage, regardless of ability. If their wage is "rising to the level of skilled labor" that is only because the minimum wage is rising and the so-called "job creator" corporations have decided NOT to increase the wages of more skilled labor to compensate. After all, what a wonderful world it would be (for them) if everyone made minimum wage, regardless of skill or ability.

So, instead of raging at the burger flipper, who has no control over his or her pay, or at "wealth redistribution," perhaps we should instead be directing our rage towards the corporations that have decided that skilled labor isn't worth more than minimum wage... of course, being a crooked executive of a failed company is worth more than ever before these days... and that's where a good chunk of the extra money is going.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:37 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
I smell a troll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment