Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,788,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I have yet to get a phone call from any gov agency about my employment status, so I know I am not counted.

And this is why statistics and statistical sampling should be mandatory education. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Valid point:

All I was getting at is that there is no agency that tracks EVERY person who's out of work once their benefits expire. Yes, if you get a call as part of the household survey and you're out of work, have exhausted your benefits, but have looked for work in the past 4 weeks, you still count as "unemployed" even for the purposes of the headline unemployment number.
Well of course not. Sampling is used. Which in many ways is more precise than attempts at an census, which there is no possible way to do it.

The number may be questioned, but since the methodology doesn't change, and the structure of the compiling of the Federal unemployment rate is so rigidly divided and firewalled to make it impossible to be tampered with by politicians (think about it, if there was way for politicians to tamper with it, would the party in power ever raise it?), it proves very useful as a relative (not absolute) number.

Quote:

Let's make this a forum question - has ANYONE here ever been called in the household survey regarding employment? Just curious.

Yes, in the early 90s.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,235,039 times
I don't think that any numbers having to do with phone surveys are correct. Let me explain. You take a survey wanting to know who is working and who is not working. Unless you call my work you will not reach me. I don't answer the phone if I don't know who is calling. For me, I would never be one of the survey participants because of not answering the phone.

My thought is that you would have a larger number of unemployed that could answer the question. The reason is that they may be home more often than those that are working. Now That is a sad statement because the unemployed should be out looking for work. The problem that I am hearing about is that the unemployed may have become discouraged with the situation out in the work force and decide to forgo looking for work.

I base my thoughts on nothing of importance and I may be way off base as I only see my own situation, which is and has always been employed.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:14 AM

2,866 posts, read 3,616,889 times
What separates the employed from the unemployed?

A job.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My thought is that you would have a larger number of unemployed that could answer the question. The reason is that they may be home more often than those that are working. Now That is a sad statement because the unemployed should be out looking for work. The problem that I am hearing about is that the unemployed may have become discouraged with the situation out in the work force and decide to forgo looking for work.

My understanding is that this differential is factored in their modeling. Just as with political polling, there are adjustments made to account for people that refuse to answer, can't be reached by traditional means, adjust for people that will likely vote vs who were polled, people that lie, etc. It isn't a straight number, it is a model. These are very sophisticated and very well honed models.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,009,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
My understanding is that this differential is factored in their modeling. Just as with political polling, there are adjustments made to account for people that refuse to answer, can't be reached by traditional means, adjust for people that will likely vote vs who were polled, people that lie, etc. It isn't a straight number, it is a model. These are very sophisticated and very well honed models.
Agreed - the models are pretty good, for what they model. I was just curious if anyone here had actually be surveyed. I didn't mean to imply that if the answer was "no," than the model was flawed - my bad.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 AM

I received a call in the early 90s. I tend to answer surveys that call as a couple of times in my life I worked at call centers, so I'm sympathetic.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:02 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,308,500 times
Quote:
Agreed - the models are pretty good, for what they model. I was just curious if anyone here had actually be surveyed. I didn't mean to imply that if the answer was "no," than the model was flawed - my bad.

No problems - that's the problem with textual communications.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,771,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't think that any numbers having to do with phone surveys are correct. Let me explain. You take a survey wanting to know who is working and who is not working. Unless you call my work you will not reach me. I don't answer the phone if I don't know who is calling. For me, I would never be one of the survey participants because of not answering the phone.

I base my thoughts on nothing of importance and I may be way off base as I only see my own situation, which is and has always been employed.
Exactly, you can have unintended biases based on who you call. By a random sample, you can have the same people pop up that are either continually employed or unemployed. That is not if you go into exclusion sampling bias, they talk to more historically employed vs. historically unemployed like the healthy user bias or specific real area were you may not interview those in rural areas. Not saying hat this doesn't happen, just that it could.

Stats can be swayed or dismissed based on different biases. It's not as cut and dry as we have a 6.9 U-3 unemployment rate. It could be higher or lower for the entire population. It's a SAMPLE. It should never be taken as gospel at all which many people whether it is this or political ratings or Obamacare ratings.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:42 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,540,674 times
They should take their samplings on the C-D Work and Employment forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment