U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:27 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,189,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Some people commit suicide. Being long term unemployed is depressing, and destroys your self worth when you constantly get rejected for jobs you are qualified for. Looking ahead and only seeing low paying misery when you used to be better off is the kind of thing that can send some people over the edge.
Don't forget crime. I think some network with other downtrodden folks and figure out how to game social services for extra bennies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 PM

475 posts, read 692,550 times
I have a vocation so I would probably try and start my own gig.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:46 PM

3,754 posts, read 9,530,046 times
If getting desperate due to the lack of job continuity on your resume', then fake it. The companies that refuse to hire the long-term unemployed are really doing themselves a disservice. Put down some employment from companies that went out of business because no one can track it. If they later ask for a 1099 or similar, fake that as well. There are plenty of ways to get it done. There is no reason for a company to pass you over just because you got caught up in a recession.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 PM

11,410 posts, read 13,955,986 times
I would never let this happen to me.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:54 PM

382 posts, read 619,000 times
Get a haircut.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:03 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,946,432 times
If you got no place to stay, and you can't live with your mother, and you can't live with your brother, maybe you can live with your brother from another mother.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:12 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,275 times
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the local colleges offer retraining under adult continuing education for free. The San Diego area colleges offer certificate programs in various fields. It may not be en ough to compete with degrees, but it may help get a foot in the door.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,950,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Just curious, how would relationships and sex go out the window? Not all women are gold-diggers.
In fact, if there are so-called loser men out there, as you're implying them to be, there are definitely women in the same boat. Getting together could lead to an out and living on one's own again with the significant other. Also, being in a relationship could also potentially motivate someone to improve their career.

But also, clearly you and others in this thread look down on and possibly underestimate people who work these jobs. Plenty of people live on factory jobs making 10/hr, 15/hr, 20/hr, 30/hr. Plenty of people live on retail jobs, fast food jobs, janitorial jobs.

Also, it's not necessarily stress free.

But it can definitely be done. Some people just aren't willing to live on less, or like I said earlier, cannot fathom their lives in that way.

I live on $9 an hour or about 16,000 a year. I get by, but it's no extravagant lifestyle filled with trinkets. I enjoy the simplicity of working 32 hrs a week at a easy job. But of course it comes with a heavy price.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 AM

6,296 posts, read 10,463,432 times
Domestic servitude of some sort. Live in babysitter, nanny, house cleaner, cook. Care taking of property or farm work, live in gardener, groundskeeper.

If boating experience, go to sea on cruise ships.

If handy, be a live in apartment complex or motel manager.

Live in with the elderly or handicapped as a caretaker.

Top 10 Sites to Find a Property Caretaking Job Modern-Day Nomads

Also look at http://www.workingcouples.com

Last edited by Hollytree; 02-12-2014 at 06:42 AM..

Old 02-12-2014, 06:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 15,275,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the local colleges offer retraining under adult continuing education for free. The San Diego area colleges offer certificate programs in various fields. It may not be en ough to compete with degrees, but it may help get a foot in the door.
The Tennessee governor has proposed a program to allow graduating seniors to attend a CC effectively free. While this is helpful, incoming college freshmen have access to the full slate of grants, scholarships, and loans for funding college. It doesn't apply to other Tennesseans.

This doesn't help the long term unemployed in Tennessee. The people who could really benefit are the tens of thousands of unemployed or underemployed Tennesseans who have only a high school education or older workers whose former careers no longer exist and need to retrain. I'd like to see the governor expand this program to include all Tennesseans. The intent is good and the program is helpful, but it's not all the way there yet.

Still, you can train people until you're blue in the face, but if there are no jobs, educating them for jobs that don't exist isn't helpful. There are few jobs in east TN where a traditional education is required or even beneficial. When there are few jobs where an education is useful, people view education with suspicion. It's kind of a chicken and egg thing - companies don't want to go where the workers are untrained/uneducated, but if there are no jobs, people look at education and say "why bother."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment