Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:46 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Let's say you've been unemployed, or only marginally employed, since the meltdown of 2008. By now, your emergency unemployment compensation has long since ran out, you've exhausted your savings trying to keep the house while trying to find employment, and your car was repossessed. Maybe you have an older, unreliable but paid-off clunker, maybe not, but you don't have consistent or reliable transportation. Even getting to an interview is a real hassle, assuming you can get one in the first place. With the house gone, you rely on public WiFi and perhaps a Skype or Google Voice number, as you're too poor for a phone.

What do people in this situation do? Do they stay permanently at a shelter or with family and friends? Do they get fed at soup kitchens or simply beg? What would you do in this situation?
6 years unemployed? That is unacceptable, and how could someone even allow that to happen? I'd be working at McDonalds before being out of work more than a month, while I search for something in my field.

Best bet though would be to stay with family if possible.
Seriously, if someone could not get a job in 6 years, with a house to bathe themselves in and a car to drive, then there is probably no hope for them to try to get a job with no house to sleep and bathe in and an unreliable car to get to the interview.

Also, 6 years is a LONG time. If they couldn't get a job in their field, whatever that may be, they should have at some point in between sold everything off, paid off debts, and downsized to a lifestyle that can be maintained with a minimum wage to low wage job, plain and simple.

Some people just DO NOT KNOW how to live on a smaller income, and can't fathom giving up "nice-to-haves" and living on JUST NECESSITIES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:47 PM

552 posts, read 834,620 times
keep getting temp jobs. You can alternate between temp job and unemployment payments.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Get a CDL license and start driving, regardless of age and gender.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:11 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Prostitution. win-win.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:28 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
It's interesting to see so many "simple answers" as if were just that easy. Say a little prayer or platitude that you don't know how difficult it is, and move on if you don't have anything significant to contribute. This is in fact happening to tens of thousands of good people who have run out of options.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:56 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Let's say you've been unemployed, or only marginally employed, since the meltdown of 2008. By now, your emergency unemployment compensation has long since ran out, you've exhausted your savings trying to keep the house while trying to find employment, and your car was repossessed. Maybe you have an older, unreliable but paid-off clunker, maybe not, but you don't have consistent or reliable transportation. Even getting to an interview is a real hassle, assuming you can get one in the first place. With the house gone, you rely on public WiFi and perhaps a Skype or Google Voice number, as you're too poor for a phone.

What do people in this situation do? Do they stay permanently at a shelter or with family and friends? Do they get fed at soup kitchens or simply beg? What would you do in this situation?
I would go live with my parents.

They both have cars, so I could use one for interviews. I could technically live like that for many years until they get too old to cook dinner because their house is paid off and another plate for dinner doesn't really cost them anything.

Of course, I'd never be able to go out unless I asked them for $, so it'd be like I was 14 years old again.

It's not really that much more $ to take care of another human being UNLESS that person has health issues.

Even if they got too old and needed me to shop and cook, I could probably live like that for another 15-20 years until they pass without ever working. Of course, as stated before, I'd have no life.

I would do everything in my power to prevent that from happening long term, but it's an option that I have.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:11 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,944 times
I would live with parents and pray. I would highly consider crap jobs. Factory work, retail, fast food, waitressing, even Waffle House and Denny's waitressing, Labor Ready, go work with the illegals on a farm picking corn for $2 an hour, applying for a every freelance and temp gig I can find. I would also pass out flyers offering services I can do like tutoring, mowing lawns, or shoveling snow. There is also Mturk, pays crap, but if your bank account balance is 0, it is better than nothing.

I would also look into the Peace Corps, Americorps, moving to Africa to do mission work, teaching English overseas. By the time it gets to that point and one has been without work for 6 years, you need to not only launch a nationwide job hunt, you need to launch a worldwide job hunt and be open to going overseas.

If I needed continued help, I would ask churches and other social services agencies.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I would live with parents and pray. I would highly consider crap jobs. Factory work, retail, fast food, waitressing, even Waffle House and Denny's waitressing,
If I worked one of those type of jobs AND lived with my parents, it's a pretty good bet that I'd have enough $ to have a cheap car and go out every now and then. Probably even be able to take a decent trip every year.

Of course, marriage and relationships and sex go out the window.

I wonder how many people do that? Work low wage jobs and live with their parents until their parents die.

I mean, it'd be a crap life, but an easy, and stress free life.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:41 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Getting a temp job nowadays is not easy. Most temp agencies are just stockpiling resumes and hoping to poach your contacts especially managerial references. I've had temp agencies send me to interviews even more vigorous than a company would give a direct hire one was all day and I met with 6 different people. I even got rejected from one for HR horse crap I interviewed for several hours and they claim eh he didn't seem ethusiastic enough.

The days of anyone with a pulse getting a temp job are over.
What do you mean by that? In the bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Some people commit suicide. Being long term unemployed is depressing, and destroys your self worth when you constantly get rejected for jobs you are qualified for. Looking ahead and only seeing low paying misery when you used to be better off is the kind of thing that can send some people over the edge.
That's pretty much where I'm at. Bill Maher: "Suicide is man's way of telling God 'you can't fire me, I quite.'"

Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If I worked one of those type of jobs AND lived with my parents, it's a pretty good bet that I'd have enough $ to have a cheap car and go out every now and then. Probably even be able to take a decent trip every year.

Of course, marriage and relationships and sex go out the window.

I wonder how many people do that? Work low wage jobs and live with their parents until their parents die.

I mean, it'd be a crap life, but an easy, and stress free life.
Just curious, how would relationships and sex go out the window? Not all women are gold-diggers.
In fact, if there are so-called loser men out there, as you're implying them to be, there are definitely women in the same boat. Getting together could lead to an out and living on one's own again with the significant other. Also, being in a relationship could also potentially motivate someone to improve their career.

But also, clearly you and others in this thread look down on and possibly underestimate people who work these jobs. Plenty of people live on factory jobs making 10/hr, 15/hr, 20/hr, 30/hr. Plenty of people live on retail jobs, fast food jobs, janitorial jobs.

Also, it's not necessarily stress free.

But it can definitely be done. Some people just aren't willing to live on less, or like I said earlier, cannot fathom their lives in that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment