Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Give notice now....or wait?
Give it now before the boss goes on vacay 4 44.44%
Wait...you just never know what could happen 5 55.56%
What's a notice...? 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:50 PM

810 posts, read 3,295,507 times

Advertisements

Here's what a former employee did to me last summer: he called me while I was on vacation to let me know that he accepted a new job. I didn't mind the call, gave him some advice, and wished him well. After the phone call, he e-mailed me his resignation. It was on a Friday, end of day. By Sunday night, I already reached out to my boss, HR, and the former employee's cross functional team. It took maybe 1/2 hour of my time and I went back to relaxation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,992,955 times
Don't see why it would be a problem to give notice and start 3/17 instead of 3/10. I'm sure the new job would understand. Though I'd probably just give notice 2/28 and start 3/10, that's over a week notice.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 PM

13,343 posts, read 7,728,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
...If it were me, I'd wait until the drug test came back and I had an official start date.
Agree.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 PM

813 posts, read 1,266,274 times
If you are in charge while he is gone on vacation, and your last day is before he gets back, is there another person in charge until your boss is back?

Is there a contact person at the new job that you can explain the situation?

If it were me, I would explain to new employer about perhaps needing to give a 3 week notice vs. 2 so you do not leave the past employer in a lurch. I cannot see this as a bad move with the new employer as it demonstrates that you care about the company that you work for.

It also shows that you are not using drugs if you are willing to make arrangements based on a negative test.

I think it is important not to burn bridges, and to do the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment