Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:04 AM

256 posts, read 462,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post
Seriously? You brought a forum back from the dead to talk about your job situation. I couldn't care less about title as long as they bring the money flowing. Why is the +30k more job a step down because of the title? IF you have the same responsibilities and I don't know how it would affect negatively.

ON your resume, you will have project management as a major part of your objective/summary so having a job with a different title but still same responsibilities and skill sets will not affect anything.
It will not be same responsibilities and I am moving from managing projects to finding solutions to projects. So it is moving from a management position to technical position. I think it is a step down in my career as a title wise and going back to technical field. My responsibilities will be more about finding solutions and act as a solution architect. I will learn some amazing skills that can benefit me in the long term. Actually, I was quite interested because understanding the software will make a huge difference in my career but that title kills everything for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 05:24 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Just curious on everyone's thoughts on this. Suppose the pay is exactly what you are worth, and the job responsibilities are fine, would you reject a job based on the tile given? For example, in my situation, I am an electrical engineer, I was offered a job where I'd be doing engineering, but the title was something like electrical systems technician . I turned the job down partly because I knew if I didn't have engineer in the title of my first job post college, I'd have problems finding engineering jobs down the road.
Job title is hugely irrelevant to me. Pay, pay in the form of benefits, work rules/conditions, and work schedule are what is most important.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:17 PM

286 posts, read 851,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademo View Post
It will not be same responsibilities and I am moving from managing projects to finding solutions to projects. So it is moving from a management position to technical position. I think it is a step down in my career as a title wise and going back to technical field. My responsibilities will be more about finding solutions and act as a solution architect. I will learn some amazing skills that can benefit me in the long term. Actually, I was quite interested because understanding the software will make a huge difference in my career but that title kills everything for me.
OK. So nevermind the great pay, great opportunity, great learning experience making you more marketable with having both technical and management skills, great potential for a better career , you still stuck on a bunch of letters that get glossed over in a resume as future employers rather read about skills and accomplishments rather than meaningless titles. Am I getting this right?

Old 01-03-2015, 11:27 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
title doesn't really matter in my industry (tech).

Here were my titles in order of career progression and the general pay:

Consultant ($40k) - small consulting company
Sr. Consultant ($70k) - small consulting company
Manager ($120k) - big consulting company
Technical Architect ($260k) - independent consultant
Manager ($120k) - small software company
Chief Technology Officer ($200k) - (a different) small software company
VP Engineering ($150k) - (yet another different) small software company
Chief Technology Officer ($72k) - (yet another different) small software company
Senior Director of Engineering ($175k) - (yet another different) small software company
Software Development Manager ($225k) - big software company
Product Manager ($280k)- big software company

As you can see, I usually cared much more about pay than title and it has never hurt me.

RVD.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:30 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Nope, not at all. As long as I'm doing what I like to do then you can call me whatever.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post
OK. So nevermind the great pay, great opportunity, great learning experience making you more marketable with having both technical and management skills, great potential for a better career , you still stuck on a bunch of letters that get glossed over in a resume as future employers rather read about skills and accomplishments rather than meaningless titles. Am I getting this right?
Thanks for the feedback! I think understanding the technical part is a great advantage moving forward in my career. Plus, it will probably make me more marketable than just a average PM with limited software skills. I feel like I will accept the technical position.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
title doesn't really matter in my industry (tech).

Here were my titles in order of career progression and the general pay:

Consultant ($40k) - small consulting company
Sr. Consultant ($70k) - small consulting company
Manager ($120k) - big consulting company
Technical Architect ($260k) - independent consultant
Manager ($120k) - small software company
Chief Technology Officer ($200k) - (a different) small software company
VP Engineering ($150k) - (yet another different) small software company
Chief Technology Officer ($72k) - (yet another different) small software company
Senior Director of Engineering ($175k) - (yet another different) small software company
Software Development Manager ($225k) - big software company
Product Manager ($280k)- big software company

As you can see, I usually cared much more about pay than title and it has never hurt me.

RVD.
Thanks a lot for the feedback! It seems like being a technical architect really did not heart your career path for management level positions. Was having experience with technical field an advantage when you were interviewing for management level positions?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 PM

286 posts, read 851,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademo View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I think understanding the technical part is a great advantage moving forward in my career. Plus, it will probably make me more marketable than just a average PM with limited software skills. I feel like I will accept the technical position.
Good for you. All the best in your career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment