Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times

Advertisements

I don't go out of my way to check anyone's work but if I see something wrong, I will tell my co-workers. (Well, the people I work with at night.) I figure, let them fix the problem before it becomes a big problem and before anyone says anything or tells on them to the supervisor. (Happens all of the time at my job and they'd rather I tell them, "Hey, you filled that out wrong," than certain people running to the supervisor and saying, "XYZ DID THIS WRONG!" Since that's what happens.) One of my co-workers appreciates it and calls me her "angel" sometimes. Ha. (Let's just say I have saved her from some big OOPs.)

I also work in health care (though I'm more directly involved in patient care) so I care that we are putting out quality because I don't need anyone dying or being treated for something that isn't really there just because I should only care about what I'm doing. However, there are plenty of things we can be written up for and/or have a discussion about with our boss when we do them wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
I try to fix someone else's mistake if it is a big one that could cause other problems, if there is time and the person is at work, I tell them to correct it. I also make time to tell that person about it unless I know they don't want to hear feedback from me directly which is rare. I never alert my manager about someone else's errors unless it is adversely impacting my work somehow.

It has been my experience to most other people (peers) if you complain to your boss about someone else's work without talking to that person first yourself, it makes you look undermining and untrustworthy to your co-worker and in return they resent you.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:49 AM

819 posts, read 3,207,912 times
Wow, some of y'all are so harsh.

If it was me I would go back to the employee. At my job my position is to check everybody's work. I'm a natural born investigator and people like me just love doing this kind of work.

Op- maybe you can suggest to your boss that there is some type of QC done on all completed work.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I often check on the work of one of my co-workers, because I always find something she did wrong. Sometimes, it's minor so it can just slide for someone else to find. But today, I found something kind of major. Now, sure, I could approach her and tell her, but she will be thinking (and say) why are you looking in my stuff??? I could notify our boss, but that would be no bueno, I know. I could just change it, but then I'm thinking, wow, so I'm just always going to chasing after her with a shovel to clean up her mess??

I don't know what to do. I personally think she should be notified that she is making careless errors, big and small, and to knock it off, or figure out why she's doing it. Maybe she has personal issues going on or something.
Yes, that's it. SHE has the personal issues. Not you.

Don't forget to tell her if her feet stink and she may need to change her toothpaste as her teeth are not as pearly white as yours.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,122 times
Quote:
I often check on the work of one of my co-workers, because I always find something she did wrong. Sometimes, it's minor so it can just slide for someone else to find. But today, I found something kind of major. Now, sure, I could approach her and tell her, but she will be thinking (and say) why are you looking in my stuff??? I could notify our boss, but that would be no bueno, I know. I could just change it, but then I'm thinking, wow, so I'm just always going to chasing after her with a shovel to clean up her mess??

I don't know what to do. I personally think she should be notified that she is making careless errors, big and small, and to knock it off, or figure out why she's doing it. Maybe she has personal issues going on or something.
WHY worry about it? Do your job, concentrate on your own performance, and go home. You are NOT required to anyone's job but your own. I sincerely HOPE you don't take crap like this home with you after work?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:33 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,626 times
Here's the thing.

If you don't have enough to do at work that you have that kind of time, this is going to come back and bite you the next time you make an error. Because it's evident that you have all the time in the world, you should never be making such careless mistakes.

You should stop kidding yourself though. You are nosy. You should tell your co-worker if you don't think she deserves the fallout, and if you truly believe that, it means you don't actually care about looking like a busybody. If you believe in honesty like you say you do, why would looking nosy bother you in the first place?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:38 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Delusional Debbie doesn't realize she is being a Creepy Cindy and Snooping Sally putting her Nosy Nellie where it doesn't belong.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:06 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Fine. I'm a busybody. I never said it was up to me to "school" her. I think it's up to someone to somehow make sure she stops making these careless errors so often because as I said they can have a big impact in some situations. And yes, I do need more work. But unfortunately it's not there. And yes they are free to review my work. No it's not always perfect, but if I was making errors like this, I would hope I would be notified, because it's just bad all around.
If the errors are something YOU would like to be notified of, then you should let her know about them so she can do something about fixing them and avoiding further errors like them in the future. Just do it in a respectful, non-judgmental way. To have the errors fixed would be better for you, her and the company at large and it would be nice to do so without making it a big deal and an inquisition with the boss. If she does not mend her ways, then that may be the time to escalate. Give her a chance first.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Here's the thing.

If you don't have enough to do at work that you have that kind of time, this is going to come back and bite you the next time you make an error. Because it's evident that you have all the time in the world, you should never be making such careless mistakes.

You should stop kidding yourself though. You are nosy. You should tell your co-worker if you don't think she deserves the fallout, and if you truly believe that, it means you don't actually care about looking like a busybody. If you believe in honesty like you say you do, why would looking nosy bother you in the first place?
^^^ These two things. Lord, I am glad the OP is not my co-worker.

One thing I have learned - being a perfectionist about everyone else's work means your OWN work must be absolutely FLAWLESS.

I worked for a couple of years as an auditor at my company. When those jobs went bye-bye, I found myself doing the same work of the people I had been critiquing all of those years.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:04 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,473 times
In this tread, I see a lot of answers from slaves who don't like jobs they are doing, do not care about the high quality of company's work, about being proud of what they do/where they work, and just want their paycheck doesn't matter how bad they work. This is why "Made in the USA" label is not that strong statement of quality anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment