Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:38 PM

603 posts, read 846,915 times

Advertisements

I have my bachelors in psychology but basically no work experience. It seems like the only jobs I'm qualified for is security, fast food, or housekeeping positions. I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do as a career, but it's also hard to intern because most require college credit. Some even require experience. I also don't have any real skills.

Would just going for a master's degree in something help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Any thought of going to grad school to become a professional psychologist? Would you be able to practice in any area(s) with a masters degree? There are plenty of stories regarding people who acquire masters degrees with no work experience... And many of these stories do not have happy endings.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:50 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
I have my bachelors in psychology but basically no work experience. It seems like the only jobs I'm qualified for is security, fast food, or housekeeping positions. I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do as a career, but it's also hard to intern because most require college credit. Some even require experience. I also don't have any real skills.

To do anything in psychology, you pretty much need to get at least a masters in counseling or something like that don't you?

Old 02-15-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
To do anything in psychology, you pretty much need to get at least a masters in counseling or something like that don't you?
Yes. You need at least a masters in counseling or psychology.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Any thought of going to grad school to become a professional psychologist? Would you be able to practice in any area(s) with a masters degree? There are plenty of stories regarding people who acquire masters degrees with no work experience... And many of these stories do not have happy endings.
I don't really have an interest in psychology. I was originally a sports management, but I switched majors and chose psychology because my school was really small and didn't have a wide choice of majors.

I am interested in human resources and higher education like academic advising, student affairs, admissions, etc.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,584 posts, read 81,186,228 times
You could get a job with a BA in Psych as an overworked, underpaid social worker, at a county agency, but even those jobs are now going to laid off people with a lot of experience and advanced degrees. You could look for office jobs that require a degree but not in a specific subject, then work your way up from the bottom by getting experience and promotion, but it could take many years. If you go for the masters, things could be better by the time you are ready but then it could also be worse so it's a gamble. Even school counselor jobs require a masters these days, and budget cuts have reduced the demand.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:14 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
My granddaughter and her husband both have a masters in psychology. They have good jobs counseling. He recently opened his own office. The pay must be good because they've bought a lovely home and seem to have the latest electronic gadgets. What impresses me is when I give their children cash, the kids take off running to their rooms to put the money in their banks.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:17 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Nothing against the OP but why is it that so many get a degree in a specific field and expect a high wage from some company with a lot of money who knows where or how they acquired their money.....was not printed that's for sure.

I suppose it would be nice to have a private practice and charge a hefty hourly fee telling some people where they went wrong in life and what would be the best remedy to solve the problems.....just does not work that way in true life.

I got my degree and never used it in a true sense but did start my own businesses (6) in other fields over a 36 yr time frame......more money and a piece of mind the same time.....can be done.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:39 PM

I don't expect a high wage or anything. I'd just like a job, even if I'm only making $9/hour. It's better than nothing.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post

Are you joking? Grad school still is not job experience. Having any degree puts you ahead of many people.

Tough question: why haven't you ever gotten a job?

Bottom line: choose an areas and get some experience. Your degree as given you transferable skills that you need to market to employers. You have computer, research, math, statistics, interpersonal, etc skills. Find the jobs that need those skills.

Look on idealist.org, volunteermatch.org, or volunteer.gov and find a place that needs business/career type volunteers. That will be your first job listing on your resume.

Go to indeed.com and search for job titles that interest you. See the skills/requirements they have. Do what you can to get meet those requirements.

You will need to have a functional resume vs a chronological resume (google it) to highlight your skills and downplay your lack of actual jobs.

The biggest thing you can do is to not whine, get proactive, and begin to CREATE the career and life that you want. It's not going to be given or handed to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment