Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 06:52 PM

603 posts, read 846,837 times

Advertisements

Today I filled out my employment package and I go to orientation tomorrow morning. They told me they might have me start this weekend. It's just a security position but it'll pay the bills. It'll be me first job in 3 years and my first since graduating college.

How long should I stay there before I start looking for other jobs? I don't want to get stuck in security for a long time, and I want something that would eventually pay enough for me to buy a car. I'm just not sure for what other jobs I would qualify for with a bachelors in psychology and security experience. I have about 5-6 months before I start paying back my student loans, and by then I would like to be at a point where I won't have daily headaches about paying bills.

Once I get my schedule, if it allows me, I would plan to start applying to internships in different industries to gain a feel of other careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 07:11 AM

Anyone?

Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
I'm always looking for a better job, and have been since I had a paper route 40 years ago. Most security jobs don't pay that well so, that is a good reason to continue looking. Internships generally don't pay anything either. However, you'll find that it's easier to get a job if you already have one. Just center on what you want and what you think you're qualified for. I'd try the professional employment offices that are government run. They know what's available in your area. Be patient. You'll do fine. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
I think you should start looking for a better position right away. Why wait? You don't owe your new employer anything beyond showing up and doing your job while employed there. If a better offer comes along, give your notice and don't look back. If the job you are searching for is not going to be in security, then your experience in security will not matter to your next employer.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:39 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
Today I filled out my employment package and I go to orientation tomorrow morning. They told me they might have me start this weekend. It's just a security position but it'll pay the bills. It'll be me first job in 3 years and my first since graduating college.

How long should I stay there before I start looking for other jobs? I don't want to get stuck in security for a long time, and I want something that would eventually pay enough for me to buy a car. I'm just not sure for what other jobs I would qualify for with a bachelors in psychology and security experience. I have about 5-6 months before I start paying back my student loans, and by then I would like to be at a point where I won't have daily headaches about paying bills.

Once I get my schedule, if it allows me, I would plan to start applying to internships in different industries to gain a feel of other careers.
Congratulations! The good thing about security jobs are the flexible schedules. I would wait until you complete your probationary period and inquire about opportunities where you are at. Perhaps they have a management training program or customer service. Customer service is a great place to learn. Make small talk with people. Let H.R know that you are interested in other opportunities. It was a fight for me too. I do not believe I would have gotten into my career had I not developed a relationship with a H.R manager who saw potential in me. It is tough out there. You need some allies. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:42 AM

334 posts, read 585,281 times
Do your very best by your employer, and don't mentally downgrade your security job as unimportant or "just security" - do your best, and keep looking elsewhere, and your present boss will give you a stellar referral, if they are fair, and you will be able to move up job-wise. But getting this job is quite an accomplishment in today's world.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:12 PM

This job is going to be tough for me. I got assigned to 10 hour shifts as well. At first they wanted me working 5 days a week for a total of 48 hours, but luckily I got someone else that wanted those shifts. So now I work from open to close 4 days a week for a total of about 44 hours a week.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:08 PM

552 posts, read 834,685 times
just keep looking in the meantime. Since you only work 4 days a week, it lets you use a weekday to go to interviews.

Dont worry, I graduated from college with a BS in Microbiology, 5 months later i got a job in tech support, then went to work in a pharmaceutical lab, then went into IT, and then supply chain. Life is full of adventures, enjoy the ride with the different types of jobs and dont stress out about experience in a certain field. it's actually better to be well rounded so you have options. Some people are stuck in an industry cause that's all they know, and when that industry tanks, they are in deep you know what.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Congrats on the job! Keep looking, this isn't the job of your dreams it is just a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment