Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 10:13 AM

531 posts, read 2,898,438 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I've been unemployed for just about a year. I was let go from a director level position at a Fortune 500 company last year after 15 years with the same company. I'm in my mid-40's and have had no luck getting a new position in the field I was in (marketing). The industry in which I've worked for my entire career is not in a growth mode at this time so opportunities are few.

I guess I'm wondering where do I go from here? Obviously at this stage I am aware that I should just take any job that comes along, but even that seems like it will be hard to find because I can't imagine a company looking to hire for a minimum wage job would even consider me. I'd like to try and transition my skills to a different industry but it's challenging to do this when there are candidates for openings with the experience an employer is looking for.

If anyone has been in the same boat and has thoughts or experiences they can share, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 11:37 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,572 times
Have you considered going into consulting? Given your background it sounds like you have a lot of good advice to impart.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Look for something that you can get into with minimal training/certification that benefits from marketing experience. Some that come to mind are selling insurance, real estate, furniture or cars; event planning/coordinating. In my case I combined the experience from different unrelated 17 and 16 years careers to get a job that required experience in both. There was some luck in timing, but once I found the opening I was a perfect fit. Besides sending out resumes, take some time to analyze what you did in your 15 years with that company, and anything else you might have done before that, then try to come up with a list of other careers that would benefit from your experience and skills. Tailor your resumes to highlight that experience and skills and how they will benefit the company. It's hard to be more detailed without knowing more about what you actually did. Marketing research is one area, but unfortunately most companies doing that start people off doing call center work, unless they have statistical analysis experience.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,478,379 times
I would recommend that you create a functional resume that highlights your accomplishments and transferable skills. Post it on all of the major job boards and network on Linkedin.com. It is really tough out there. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:07 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,773,356 times
it always baffles me when executives and upper level management feel "helpless" or something in this situation. I mean, how did you get that type of job in the first place? You must have had some sort of marketable skill to justify that job, right? You must have had a "go-getter" attitude to get into a Director level position, I assume .... Why don't you simply transfer that skill into a new industry?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
it always baffles me when executives and upper level management feel "helpless" or something in this situation. I mean, how did you get that type of job in the first place? You must have had some sort of marketable skill to justify that job, right? You must have had a "go-getter" attitude to get into a Director level position, I assume .... Why don't you simply transfer that skill into a new industry?
I was wondering the same thing.

OP, at the Director level, you should be able to transfer that experience to many different industries. Do you have a network or any contacts at other companies? Are you a member of any professional groups?

Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 AM

21 posts, read 23,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Have you considered going into consulting? Given your background it sounds like you have a lot of good advice to impart.
This this and this. If you can share some location info, I am pretty sure some of us here can have great information to give out.

Were you an IT director? or was it on the business side?

As a consulting manager / consultant you can make an absolute killing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment