Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 PM

48 posts, read 149,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Even the temp agencies have started to become picky. They used to be a hot spot for getting experience in a certain line of work but now the many I've looked at are only looking for people that have a decent amount of work history. For example, one of the ones I talked to told me they only help people that have at least 1 year of work history. I don't know if it was always like that, I found an old thread on this forum where someone said it's a new weeding out technique.
So then what line of work do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 04:46 PM

303 posts, read 396,330 times
Quote:
Even the temp agencies have started to become picky. They used to be a hot spot for getting experience in a certain line of work but now the many I've looked at are only looking for people that have a decent amount of work history. For example, one of the ones I talked to told me they only help people that have at least 1 year of work history or you couldn't even apply. They told me if the policy ever changes they would let me know. I'm taking that as codeword for "when the economy picks up". I don't know if it was always like that, I found an old thread on this forum where someone said it's a new weeding out technique.
I'm definitely aware of this phenomenon. That's why he needs to hedge his bets, get a phone book and cold call some temp agencies.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:48 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,746 times
You have to get the GED. It's the minimum requirement for any kind of job training or jobs you might get. In late 2009 I was feeling just like you, I thought I couldn't do it but I studied every night on my own and when I felt ready I took the test and I passed it in 2010 on the first try at my local community college. September 9th, 2010. I got a nice big shiny diploma in the mail and a letter of gratitude from the department of education. It was one of the happiest days of my life in a long time. Unfortunately since then it hasn't helped me get much in the line of a job. But there are other factors at work preventing me from getting ahead. I don't have much work history either, but I know when I set a goal I ALWAYS end up successful at it. It happened in 2012 again, when I passed my drivers license on the first try.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
You have to get the GED. It's the minimum requirement for any kind of job training or jobs you might get. In late 2009 I was feeling just like you, I thought I couldn't do it but I studied every night on my own and when I felt ready I took the test and I passed it in 2010 on the first try. September 9th, 2010. I got a nice big shiny diploma in the mail and a letter of gratitude from the department of education. It was one of the happiest days of my life in a long time. Unfortunately since then it hasn't helped me get much in the line of a job. But there are other factors at work preventing me from getting ahead. I don't have much work history either, but I know when I set a goal I ALWAYS end up successful at it. It happened in 2012 again, when I passed my drivers license on the first try.
So you're telling me that there is no job for me.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:57 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,746 times
Probably not. Once you get the GED you can compete with hundreds of people to work at fast food, retail, and anything else you can think of. But if you don't want to waste your time with that you can try to find a career center around you and see if they have job training programs for poor people with no skills. You could try labor ready or places like that if you have one in your town.

I know in california most of the home depot stores have a "day labor" center in the parking lot. All the illegals stand there every morning to pick up jobs and they get paid in cash. I know someone out there that goes to one of them (he's legal) and he gets very steady work there. He makes almost $100 a day in cash just doing quick little jobs. If you're white you will need an ID to sign up. The "who you know" thing and your skin color plays a big part in getting picked for a job unless they are short on bodies.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Probably not. Once you get the GED you can compete with hundreds of people to work at fast food, retail, and anything else you can think of. But if you don't want to waste your time with that you can try to find a career center around you and see if they have job training programs for poor people with no skills. You could try labor ready or places like that if you have one in your town.

I know in california most of the home depot stores have a "day labor" center in the parking lot. All the illegals stand there every morning to pick up jobs and they get paid in cash. I know someone out there that goes to one of them (he's legal) and he gets very steady work there. He makes almost $100 a day in cash just doing quick little jobs. If you're white you will need an ID to sign up. The "who you know" thing and your skin color plays a big part in getting picked for a job unless they are short on bodies.
Well, if a GED truly is the minimum requirement for a job, then I may as well give up on life. Maybe you're the only one being realistic.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloon67 View Post
--> Getting A GED Will Be Harder In 2014

They erased all the subjects that I passed. It's like I never went. I already explained that, I'm living with my Dad.
They erased the information from your brain? How did they do that?

If you have no income you should be eligible for Medicaid.

Perhaps if you get medicated and/or get therapy you can function "normally" in society.

I reviewed some of the tests shown on the site you linked ... Are they serious? TOO easy.

Some jobs have a GED or HS Diploma as a requirement, I have applied for some, one job I was hired for, I had to PROVE it.

Last edited by JohnnyMack; 03-01-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 PM

219 posts, read 430,911 times
Sorry if this has already been asked or answered, but how old are you OP?

Old 03-01-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
They erased the information from your brain? How did they do that?

If you have no income you should be eligible for Medicaid.

Perhaps if you get medicated and/or get therapy you can function "normally" in society.
They didn't erase the information in my brain. They erased my passing scores. It isn't the information I was struggling with.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked or answered, but how old are you OP?
I'm twenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment