Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:52 PM

532 posts, read 958,972 times

Advertisements

This actually happened to me today!

Went to my bank to open a safe deposit box.

You have to see a new account rep.

I had my choice of 2, but one had a sign stating "small business", so I went to the other one.

As I'm walking up to his desk, I see the look on his face, he would rather gouge his eyes out with a rusty fork than have to work.

I approach his desk and state my business and sit down. He smiled (sort of) and gave me his name, all the while barely speaking above a mumble. I have pretty good hearing, but eventually had to ask him to please speak up. I can understand opening up a safety deposit box account for a customer (with an account at the bank), might not be the most thrilling part of his day, but I'm sure we each have parts of our job we could do with our eyes closed.

When I asked him to please speak up, he did (slightly) and said he was very tired! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? If he had said something like "I just became a new father and the baby was up all night"....ok, not my concern, but at least a reasonable explanation. But just I'm tired.......

He got up to go get the keys, came back and CHECKED HIS CELL PHONE. Again, if he had said, "my wife could go into labor at any minute....", a reasonable explanation, if not, wait until we leave, the entire transaction took 5 minutes.

Finished signing the form, and before he took me to where the boxes are kept, HE CHECKED HIS PHONE AGAIN!!!!

I wanted to ask him if he was waiting to hear on an organ donor, but I was with my dad and my father hates confrontation.

BTW: I know there was a thread not too long ago about someone being reprimanded for taking a DumDum sucker, he had a bowl of them on his desk, and my father (god love him) reached out and took 2, nothing was said, probably caught the guy snoozing or maybe checking his phone for a 3rd time!

Debating on sending the bank an e-mail, then thought, is it worth it, but it's those thoughts that let this guy keep his job.

Would you contact the bank? I have his name. I don't want him fired (just a refresher course when dealing with people sitting 2 feet from you).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 05:56 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
It is not that serious. Maybe he was waiting for an offer from another job. I am sure that you have better things to do with your time.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
There are a couple schools of thought here. One is: This is normal service anymore. The other: I've had it with this attitude and would send your original post to the bank's main office. What they do with the information is not your concern. Whichever makes you feel better...

Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Well, I would like to know where this is, because I was in banking for a hundred years before my "job description was eliminated", which was code for, "we'd rather hire Banker Barbie", and I was always perky and engaged in my client's needs.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
This actually happened to me today!

Went to my bank to open a safe deposit box.

You have to see a new account rep.

I had my choice of 2, but one had a sign stating "small business", so I went to the other one.

As I'm walking up to his desk, I see the look on his face, he would rather gouge his eyes out with a rusty fork than have to work.

I approach his desk and state my business and sit down. He smiled (sort of) and gave me his name, all the while barely speaking above a mumble. I have pretty good hearing, but eventually had to ask him to please speak up. I can understand opening up a safety deposit box account for a customer (with an account at the bank), might not be the most thrilling part of his day, but I'm sure we each have parts of our job we could do with our eyes closed.

When I asked him to please speak up, he did (slightly) and said he was very tired! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? If he had said something like "I just became a new father and the baby was up all night"....ok, not my concern, but at least a reasonable explanation. But just I'm tired.......

He got up to go get the keys, came back and CHECKED HIS CELL PHONE. Again, if he had said, "my wife could go into labor at any minute....", a reasonable explanation, if not, wait until we leave, the entire transaction took 5 minutes.

Finished signing the form, and before he took me to where the boxes are kept, HE CHECKED HIS PHONE AGAIN!!!!

I wanted to ask him if he was waiting to hear on an organ donor, but I was with my dad and my father hates confrontation.

BTW: I know there was a thread not too long ago about someone being reprimanded for taking a DumDum sucker, he had a bowl of them on his desk, and my father (god love him) reached out and took 2, nothing was said, probably caught the guy snoozing or maybe checking his phone for a 3rd time!

Debating on sending the bank an e-mail, then thought, is it worth it, but it's those thoughts that let this guy keep his job.

Would you contact the bank? I have his name. I don't want him fired (just a refresher course when dealing with people sitting 2 feet from you).
I would certainly mention it to the bank president. IN PERSON. Don't send an email. Make an appointment with the president of the bank (when you father is not with you), and discuss this with him at length. Tell him that for every person that complains, there are at least four or five (or more) who simply take their business elsewhere. Be kind and explain gently, that you're doing this as a favor to HIM, not because you are a complainer.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-27-2014, 06:03 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
LOL @ him owing you an explanation.

If it bothers you enough to post about, write a letter to the bank manager.

I would have complained while I was there (Dad could have sat in the lobby) if it bothered me.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:07 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,551 times
I love how it's so hard to get a job, but once you have it you can act unprofessionally.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Wow, that is sad. I have never been inside a bank where they didn't trip over themselves to be cheerful and helpful.

If you complain, do it to the branch manager, but consider that the same guy who "helped" you may be the one who has to let you in to the vault with the safe deposit boxes each time you go in.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
Eyes gouged out with a rusty fork....waiting for an organ donor- LOL, those were classic, lol!

Old 02-27-2014, 06:31 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Wow, that is sad. I have never been inside a bank where they didn't trip over themselves to be cheerful and helpful.

If you complain, do it to the branch manager, but consider that the same guy who "helped" you may be the one who has to let you in to the vault with the safe deposit boxes each time you go in.
You know it's a crime to temper/steal what's in the vault and they have security cameras?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment