Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 02:42 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,325 times

Advertisements

Here are the new excuses for the most careless, negligent, criminal, and unfair behavior:
"It's business." "That's good business." "He is a businessman."

Example:
"Damn, he fired that guy who worked for him for ten years because profits were a little pinched? That's messed up!"

"Yes, but he is a businessman."

Example 2:
"Why don't they hire new grads?"

"They are business people."

Example 3:
"You mean they understaffed that nursing home to the point in which someone died from neglect?"

"Yes, they are business people."

Example 4:
"You mean they are behind 100k on a bill to a vendor? Isn't the owner worth millions?"

"Yeah, but he is a businessman."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 02:55 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Impossible - I have it on good authority from internet trolls that the problem is with the workers an not the system...

Seriously, though, it is insane. It's reached the point where the most basic job requires specialized experience.

As for the language issue, of course that could be a concern for customer interaction, but I've seen no shortage of fast food joints around here where not a lick of English is spoken once the workers are no longer talking to the customers. I can understand why they may not hire somebody without experience on as a cook, but come on - how many years of "professional experience with a Whirlpool industrial model restaurant dishwasher in an fast-paced, taco-focused restaurant environment" or simliar is required until we as a nation admit that this is artificially manufactured "skills shortage?"

LOLOL!

I think I have posted this before

I have seen ads for restaurants on CraigsList wanting experience in dish washing. The places were your standard family diner.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Here are the new excuses for the most careless, negligent, criminal, and unfair behavior:
"It's business." "That's good business." "He is a businessman."

Example:
"Damn, he fired that guy who worked for him for ten years because profits were a little pinched? That's messed up!"

"Yes, but he is a businessman."

Example 2:
"Why don't they hire new grads?"

"They are business people."

Example 3:
"You mean they understaffed that nursing home to the point in which someone died from neglect?"

"Yes, they are business people."

Example 4:
"You mean they are behind 100k on a bill to a vendor? Isn't the owner worth millions?"

"Yeah, but he is a businessman."
True, sadly.

I think we've all seen this excused used to justify destructive and selfish behavior. The other excuse is that businesses are allowed to do whatever they want "since they exist to make money." That's nice, but it is hardly a good reason to allow bad behavior.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:37 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,051 times
Quote:
Impossible - I have it on good authority from internet trolls that the problem is with the workers an not the system...

Seriously, though, it is insane. It's reached the point where the most basic job requires specialized experience.
Yup, that's true. While I was looking for work over the last year even the most basic of jobs, like bussing tables at a restaurant required you to be an "experienced busser" and don't apply without provable previous experience. Well how hard is it to learn how to pick up the dishes from a table and wipe it down? Come on now! It really seems like all the employers are doing this experienced schtick now, as though they really don't want anyone to apply for the jobs. Beats me why they even bother to post the ads.

Yeah, no one in the job market now wants to train anyone for anything, even the simplest and most basic of jobs, and it's really gotten ridiculous.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:42 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If people without experience start getting these jobs, the people with experience will start complaining that they can't get hired. When there are only so many jobs available, employers go with the experienced because they don't have to spend as much time training, the new person can be productive right away, or at least sooner. That's just good business, and I suspect that anyone of the people complaining would do the same thing if they owned a business.

Those insurance jobs are a bad example. I remember being recruited by one a few years ago when I was looking, and it was basically minimum wage plus commission. Some even charged for the training. Unless you are a great salesperson with poor ethics, you sell to all your relatives and friends and then they fire you when you stop bringing in new policies.
Well, it depends. If society was on the verge of collapse from years and decades of high unemployment because of the stubbornness of politicians and big business I would give it some thought. The "race to the bottom" supporters will be cheering until it hits them.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:42 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Well, it depends. If society was on the verge of collapse from years and decades of high unemployment because of the stubbornness of politicians and big business I would give it some thought. The "race to the bottom" supporters will be cheering until it hits them.
And when it does hit them, they'll blame: unpopular minorities, random political figures - "communists," no doubt, young people, and so on. Anybody but the greedy clowns at the top who have created this mess - no, we can't blame them since they are businessmen, which justifies every rotten action they take, or so we're to believe.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meechi53 View Post
This isn't for me, I have a good job that I'm thankful for but a family member who is living with us came legally from another country, has a green card now and all that good stuff. They have an OK grasp of english, can converse but don't ask them to speak in medical terms or anything like that. They worked in IT/Electrical components in their native country.

Well they have been applying for jobs in restaurants, airlines, bilingual call centers, etc and even those jobs they are not getting hired for. They were told in a restaurant...to do prep and wash dishes that they were looking for "more experienced" people because they didn't have time to train. Meanwhile the advertisement they responded to is posted every other day on CL. They applied at a couple of bilingual call centers, told they didn't have enough customer service/banking experience. They apply at airlines for baggage service/loading airplanes and don't even get a call. They applied at a grocery store, took an aptitude test and didn't finish in time because of course the reading of english is slower than you or I. They applied for Chilis, Macaroni Grill, Friday's. for prep/cook and dont' even get a call.

How can people complain that there aren't enough willing people to work when I'm sure my nephew isn't the only one trying and trying but even the minimum wage jobs are too picky. And we are not in a location that has high unemployment.

What to do?
Find an independent restaurant (not a chain), that is owned/operated by someone of the same nationality (or close to it), and see if they can work as a dishwasher, prep or something. It will give them valuable experience and it will be easier to learn since they are in a familar environment.

If that is not possible (let's say they are from Iceland, or someplace where you aren't going to find a local restaurant owned by a similar ethnic group). Then have them go to a small independent restaurant and see if they can get a job there. People who have been through similar experiences are much more forgiving when it comes to giving people jobs.

In the alternative, maybe he/she should get a job that does not require heavy communications such as something more manual. People who work in labs, or fabricating, or other "hands on" type of jobs. Even motel maids don't have to have a strong command of English (as evidenced by the gazillions of Hispanic workers who can't speak a word of English).

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-28-2014, 04:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meechi53 View Post
I never said they werent' proficient. How many times have you gone to a restaurant kitchen and seen everyone speaking English? What I said was that their conversational english should be good enough to land some kind of minimum wage job, especially if they were calling for people to be bilingual. From what I've been told, it's hard to find bilingual people that are legal to do jobs.
Chances are that they are proficient enough to hold a conversation, but choose not to speak it. Or there are two or more others in the kitchen who can translate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
It's gotten way out of balance. And for those who don't comprehend, by "it's" I mean the job market. By "balance" I mean the supply of people to the available positions.

Some of the old jobs that you could get if you have a pulse just don't hire anymore. Here's something though: you can basically get hired to be a financial "advisor" or insurance sales rep if you have a pulse, provided no serious criminal record. Can you believe how hard it is to get a job in certain traditionally blue collar professions, like a janitor, and how easy it is to apply to work for a life insurance company, selling products to people who will come to depend on your "sage" advice, perhaps even to the point of life or death?

Now that's what I call out of "balance".
Perhaps that is how it has gotten in Alabama, but it is no where near like that anywhere I have lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
LOLOL!

I think I have posted this before

I have seen ads for restaurants on CraigsList wanting experience in dish washing. The places were your standard family diner.
I have sixteen years of experience in restaurants. Asking for a dishwasher to have experience IS asking for someone who already knows proper restaurant sanitation, knows that dishwashers do all of the other nasty stuff that no one else wants to do, and that they are going to work a lame job for a lame wage with little-to-no possibility of raise.

It could also mean they don't want "illegals".

Old 02-28-2014, 05:31 PM

893 posts, read 885,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
It's gotten way out of balance. And for those who don't comprehend, by "it's" I mean the job market. By "balance" I mean the supply of people to the available positions.

Some of the old jobs that you could get if you have a pulse just don't hire anymore. Here's something though: you can basically get hired to be a financial "advisor" or insurance sales rep if you have a pulse, provided no serious criminal record. Can you believe how hard it is to get a job in certain traditionally blue collar professions, like a janitor, and how easy it is to apply to work for a life insurance company, selling products to people who will come to depend on your "sage" advice, perhaps even to the point of life or death?

Now that's what I call out of "balance".

So by your logic, the OP's nephew could get hired to sell insurance or as a financial advisor?

You do realize that in order to sell insurance or financial products you have to pass tests AND then get hired, right?

I'm not saying there aren't lots of losers doing both of these jobs and there are bad people in those and every other profession out there but you still have to do more than what is required for a minimum wage job.

Horrible comparison.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:35 PM

893 posts, read 885,983 times
Quote:
And when it does hit them, they'll blame: unpopular minorities, random political figures - "communists," no doubt, young people, and so on. Anybody but the greedy clowns at the top who have created this mess - no, we can't blame them since they are businessmen, which justifies every rotten action they take, or so we're to believe.
rotflol

turn off MSNBC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment