Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 03:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times

Advertisements

Do you work in HR? How is this your business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 03:53 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Agree, but it ain't just corporate culture, governments are often like this too.
Valid point, though I basically consider the two the same - the practical difference these days between corporations and governments is very little. The only real difference from what I can tell is that companies need to show a profit while governments should at least have good-sounding excuses for their debt. That's about it. Both are run by insane people for insane reasons. Both concentrate wealth and power into the hands of relatively few people who deserve neither. Both enjoy trampling on the working class, though the excuses for this may vary... and neither should be trusted. This is why I always get a bitter laugh out of people who hate the government and yet love big business... they are two sides of the same crooked coin.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:40 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
So, to make a very long story short, I have been hearing rumors the past few months about my HR mgr and the Director of HR dating. I dismissed it, paid no attention, and thought simply because they work closely together, people like to start rumors.

I have confided several concerns about the director many times to the manager, since I used to (in a way) work for him, and I needed her help with how to communicate with him/what to do. I now no longer work with him, however he is still involved in my employment decisions (I just relocated thousands of miles away for this job), so my need to keep a professional relationship with him is still there.

I saw them out together in my town this past weekend, acting very much like a couple. Normally this would NOT bother me, however I am very concerned that she had shared some of what I confided in her about him, with him. I'm sure it's already happened by now, if it was going to. I don't think they saw me.

So, this may be a bit premature, but I do not trust this director for a lot of different reasons. I am not the only one in my company who has issues (well warranted) with him. He has a habit of kissing up to the right people and throwing everyone under the bus who is below him. She recently got promoted as well.

I am essentially worried about my job and my experience with this company. I have a really great reputation with my superiors as far as I know, but I know of several instances where he has tried to get people fired/looked down upon simply because he dislikes them. I feel really juvenile writing this post, but I'm really not sure how to address this, or if I should at all.

FWIW, I plan on moving on from my company in a few years regardless, but I'm just not sure what to make of this awkward situation.

Edit: I do not work in HR, and never desire to, so this has nothing to do with jealousy of her recent promotion or concern for my job in that respect.

So you're saying he acts like a director of HR? JUST KIDDING

Lets start off by saying... you can't really do much of anything here.

1) whatever you said to the manager is water under the bridge. You can't take it back. Hopefully it was more constructive than bashing
2) although she might, and I mean might share that she talked to you... She very well may not bring it up to him. Does she have anything to gain? unpleasant things said about your significant other aren't always the best shared with them
3)you don't work for him. if your superiors like you and you perform for them, in theory, the HR director doesn't really have the power to do anything. On top of that, your superiors should be actively trying to protect you and for that matter their turf.

4) I wouldn't call them out on having a relationship... normally that has to be brought to HR's attention.... I think they know about it. Then possibly up the ladder there...... and on top of that...... you don't work for these people...... so really there is little to be gained, except pissing off HR.

If you had a close relationship with your boss, you could mention it casually like... can you believe about HR Dir and Manager? I was actually talking to her about him and how to communicate better with him... hopefully that didn't blow up in my face.. and see what the boss says..

I definitely wouldn't file a complaint.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Don't get involved. Before you know it, it'll be a "he said, she said" drama fest.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 AM

9,821 posts, read 11,536,738 times
More Reasons not to trust HR ****smh***
I'm with everybody else, just keep away from it!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:18 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Don't confide in either. Of course they're sharing pillow talk.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 356 times
I have almost the same issue at work. I am the HR Manager and my boss is the HR Director. He dated his secretary for a while and she has now created a hostile work environment for everyone in HR. There are about 50 of us. It's a pretty big company. She throws people under the bus at every turn. She discloses confidential disciplinary reprimands in the "smoking" area. She talks about everyone. She complains constantly about how much work she has to do, yet other employees have noticed her on her Kindle almost all day. She pawns off her work on others. She has even yelled at both me and another HR Manager while our boss is gone. When we try to say anything it is always that she is under alot of stress. What do you do in this situation, when everyone realizes this except your boss and his boss? His boss is oblivious to it cause he is always traveling. I'm at the end of my rope. I do however have a good relationship with my boss' boss and he has told me that when my boss retires I am getting promoted in 2.5 to 3 years. The secretaries job grade is above several of my staff and now she feels like she can tell them what to do cause she is a higher grade. Any suggestions, other than to find another place to work. I almost feel bad though leaving cause several people have told me that I am the glue that holds the department together and the sanest and most rational person when it comes to HR issues in general. I am very good at calming situations down but recently have become burned out. My year in general has been a bad one emotionally. I lost a parent, was diagnosed with cancer and am recovering. In this same year I also broke a leg snowboarding. My staff also has had rounds of bad luck this year, one fractured an arm, another lost a wife, and one staff members husband went blind. It almost does not even seem real. Through all these trying times we as a team have pulled together and gotten things done. It's amazing to me that the secretaries stress involves having to take too many messages on the phone while my team has rallied around one another during some really tough times.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:15 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Other people's private lives are none of your business. Unless something unethical or illegal is going on quit being petty and stay out of their business. Can't people let other's be happy?

Old 11-19-2017, 02:42 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
If you can catch them again, take pics, send them to corp "Anonymously" that way management gets the chance to show them the pics and say "What's going on here?" That way, they can clear it or have corp shut them down. And you are safe and still "anonymous"

Old 11-19-2017, 03:58 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Get hard evidence and then blackmail them.

Or don't get involved...whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment