Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

My sister had no birth certificate because the courthouse in our county burned before her birth records were sent on to the state. My mother had to furnish our family Bible as proof of her birth. Census records can help with this also. I am trying to understand that you now have an I. D. Something is very strange about this and does not ring true. Are you all alone or are there people who have known you since birth??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:29 AM

249 posts, read 424,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Getting a passport requires several of the forms of ID the OP said they did not have. Though why they did not have a birth certificate and Social Security card has not been answered. and was there something weird about the father that he never gave the OP these documents or helped them get them before age 26? Is the OP a mentally challenged individual, whose parents took care of him till they died and the OP is trying to go it alone now?
Too much here that does not add up.
Indeed it feels like the OP Is omitting some information, but he is absolutely eligible for a US passport if he applies in person; there are no "forms of ID" that are strictly required beyond a US birth certificate, though it's much easier if you do have those other IDs.

As described here, he needs to bring his original birth certificate, which he can obtain himself, for proof of citizenship:

Get a passport

And for identification, he won't have a government or military ID or a driver's license, so he can go the secondary route:

Secondary Evidence of Identification

...wherein a witness will sign an affidavit for him. Just about everyone knows at least one US passport holder who could do this.

I got mine this way. I was (and am) lucky enough to have still-living parents, and my father presented his passport and signed Form DS-71 in the presence of the agency. Being born in the USA, my birth certificate proved natural-born citizenship instantly.

A US passport is a right, not a privilege, of US citizenship. Obtaining one is the master key to employment and international travel, and any eligible person can do this with surprisingly few hoops to jump through. As it should be.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:29 AM

552 posts, read 834,685 times
you probably need to go get your GED first off.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:54 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
If this story is true, now that you have id I would get a GED, and then think about joining the Military. It would give you time to get your life on track and gain some skills. You could even use it as an way to pay for college.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM

310 posts, read 371,508 times
I would honestly suggest getting your GED.. and sooner rather than later. I can fully understand your situation. At 16, my mom kicked me out and I had to live with my dad who I never met until I was 13-- & even after that he was in&out of my life (drugs).. So, I switched school (again.. i switched schools alot growing up) and moved into literally Bumfck Egypt. Even though my dad said he was clean, he was not and I had to move back in with my mom. i never felt comfortable. so by that time i was so fed up with switching school + stress (my mom & i still werent getting along well) I said F it. signed myself out & the second i ended that phone call I called a GED class. I started classes at 17 and within 3 months i had my GED. I then started college (still 17 & graduated with an Associates at 19)

dont let those things discourage you. Try to get your GED before it's too late--- you atleast should have some knowledge of English, reading, writing ect. Then go look for a job! The sky is the limit but nothing changes is nothing changes.

God bless.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 AM

198 posts, read 273,947 times
Default No ID

First of all, you need to get your GED or high school diploma. C'mon...it's not that hard. You can do it online. Employers want that even if you are just flipping hamburgers.

You could also contact your Congressman and request help from him. That's what they are there for. You need to do both the things I mentioned to get your adult life on track. Nobody said that life is easy, but the basics are necessary.

My best to you, and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:07 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
I sense a joke post.

If this is true, get your GED. Employers won't look at people with little to no education over someone with education/experience. Even people with education are struggling for jobs.

You're not a special snowflake.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
It is not hopeless. You will get a job, but it will be lower end probably. Fast food WILL hire you; just keep trying to different places. Apply to multiple locations of the same chain, apply in person and online.

Do you have a diploma/GED? What have you done since high school? Any college? Any church? Volunteer work?
That may be the only issue is explaining your void, but most of those places don't care. You could just say you've been caring for family since you left school. Use old teachers who remember you as a reference or a neighbor you're close with....
Actually that's a bigger deal than the lack of a GED. I own a sandwich shop and I wouldn't give him a second look if he has a massive gap on his resume like he's 26 and no work experience. That screams "I've been in prison for 8 years" which means likely something major which I would skip altogether.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,988 times
You described your situation the exact same way as a woman who walked in the SS office stating she need a SS card but never had one before. She said she was home schooled, mother and father passed away and she was helping to take care of an elderly man who was sitting next to her. The rep told her she needed to show proof of who she really is by giving a chronological order of her life events and if she cannot provide hard facts than get a lawyer. But they will not just had over docs to someone who cannot prove their existence. Contact a lawyer. They should be able to help. Tears will not help you get your stuff. Good luck

Old 03-07-2014, 06:03 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Not having a GED or diploma is a pretty huge impedement. It is not "what is he going to do with a GED?", but rather "What can he do without a GED or diploma?" And, unfortunately, the answer is "not much".
It's a huge impediment for people looking to make a serious career. This dude didn't even have any id until recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment