Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 07:32 AM

188 posts, read 238,010 times

Advertisements

I had an onsite interview last week Monday and I emailed to HR contact person yesterday to find out the status/result of interview, he emailed me back saying that the last candidate was interviewing yesterday and they would decide by EOB yesterday and let me know.....but no news yet....
Is this bad sign OR good sign OR nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 11:05 AM

51 posts, read 83,300 times
The way this is written is slightly confusing because you are using past tense and present tense almost at the same time.

What I'm gathering is they said they had interviewed the last candidate the day before, and they would get back to you tomorrow (which is today?????), and they have not contacted you yet.

I've been told before that they would make a decision by the end of the week and I had to wait two weeks for the offer. So I think at this moment you're stressing over nothing. Go about your business as usual, and email them in about a week or two weeks to make sure. You've done your due diligence. Dont bother them again or it will seem a little annoying.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
When I hire I will almost always decide by the end of the last interview. After that, we make an offer contingent on the background and reference checks. Those not selected are not notified until after the person accepts the offer and all checks are done. This is to not have to go back to someone and say "we want you after all." If they said they would let you know by EOB yesterday and were still interviewing yesterday the person was probably being overly optimistic. I would suggest that the longer you go without hearing the less chance you were selected. Even if selected, unless they don't do a background check or did it before the interviews, it's likely to take a week before they call you.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCool64 View Post
I had an onsite interview last week Monday and I emailed to HR contact person yesterday to find out the status/result of interview, he emailed me back saying that the last candidate was interviewing yesterday and they would decide by EOB yesterday and let me know.....but no news yet....
Is this bad sign OR good sign OR nothing?
"Or nothing."

When I interview multiple candidates for a position (full time, a role strategic to the org), I sit down with others and stack rank based on the feedback after most or all are interviewed. That can take a week or more, sometimes a couple weeks (the interview process, not the sit-down: the latter happens immediately following last candidate interview of the sequence). Mostly objective, some subjective. We then talk it through: the person's potential peers, my manager, and my own impressions.

Soon as practicable, we then submit an offer to Candidate A, with a backup for Candidate B in case A bolts. That takes a little time to prepare, too. I've never had both A and B turn me down, though that is a possibility and may involve either more interviews if the remainder are weak, or moving on down the list if I'm pressed to fill the role.

I've seen organizations be much more metrics-driven during the interview itself, thus know very quickly how things stack rank. I've never been that way.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsquallhart View Post
The way this is written is slightly confusing because you are using past tense and present tense almost at the same time.

What I'm gathering is they said they had interviewed the last candidate the day before, and they would get back to you tomorrow (which is today?????), and they have not contacted you yet.

I've been told before that they would make a decision by the end of the week and I had to wait two weeks for the offer. So I think at this moment you're stressing over nothing. Go about your business as usual, and email them in about a week or two weeks to make sure. You've done your due diligence. Dont bother them again or it will seem a little annoying.

Good luck.
Yes, your interpretation is correct.

so far, no news yet...

Old 03-06-2014, 07:15 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When I hire I will almost always decide by the end of the last interview. After that, we make an offer contingent on the background and reference checks. Those not selected are not notified until after the person accepts the offer and all checks are done. This is to not have to go back to someone and say "we want you after all." If they said they would let you know by EOB yesterday and were still interviewing yesterday the person was probably being overly optimistic. I would suggest that the longer you go without hearing the less chance you were selected. Even if selected, unless they don't do a background check or did it before the interviews, it's likely to take a week before they call you.
This ^^^^^^^

And understand that if you are not the first person selected you still have a VERY good chance of getting the job. In the past 60 days I have had 3 job offers. The first two I turned down. The first one I turned down 10 days after they made the offer pending a background check.

It sucks to think you might not be number 1. But number 1 doesn't always get the job.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My understanding is normally they call ASAP to notify the candidate that you are selected, and then they will do the background check....so phone call first and then either written letter with contingency like background check and/or drug screening...

maybe case by case,,,,

Old 03-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
This ^^^^^^^

And understand that if you are not the first person selected you still have a VERY good chance of getting the job. In the past 60 days I have had 3 job offers. The first two I turned down. The first one I turned down 10 days after they made the offer pending a background check.

It sucks to think you might not be number 1. But number 1 doesn't always get the job.
this comforts me....
But, actually I have another offer from other company, but this company is a little better than the one that I got offer from. So, I can't postpone again and again the starting date of the other company, that's why I emailed to HR and asked him to let them know I have other job offer and need to know the result ASAP...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment