Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Sure - we all keep records, etc. as a CYA. But to what extent? My point is that if you're starting to hoard stuff and worried that you can't keep it at work - then perhaps you should've already left.
That's easy to say if you can get another job lined up soon after you realize this. A lot of people still relatively new in the workplace just can't quit a job after being there for only a year or so and it it means you need to start hoarding documentation for another 6 months to a year for job retention, that's what you need to do. Even with management changes at work, this is what you might need to do because on-boarding doesn't always go smoothly and the people there are often held accountable for mistakes.

Besides, the focus of my asking this isn't about whether or not you should leave. I'm asking how to go about this in light of confidentiality and protecting one's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:55 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
That's easy to say if you can get another job lined up soon after you realize this. A lot of people still relatively new in the workplace just can't quit a job after being there for only a year or so and it it means you need to start hoarding documentation for another 6 months to a year for job retention, that's what you need to do. Even with management changes at work, this is what you might need to do because on-boarding doesn't always go smoothly and the people there are often held accountable for mistakes.

Besides, the focus of my asking this isn't about whether or not you should leave. I'm asking how to go about this in light of confidentiality and protecting one's job.
To which I already expressed an opinion earlier - disclosing information to 'authorized' parties isn't a breach of confidentiality. Thus, I doubt collecting and presenting information that involved or were sent to you (that isn't otherwise "Privileged") internally would be a breach. So you would just keep stuff as you see fit (emails,memo's etc.).

That said, if I managed to end up working for a bunch of clowns who put a target on my back - whatever I show is going to be pretty pointless. Regardless of what I have, at some point, it's simply going to be "Look, you just don't seem to fit".

Old 03-11-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

That said, if I managed to end up working for a bunch of clowns who put a target on my back - whatever I show is going to be pretty pointless. Regardless of what I have, at some point, it's simply going to be "Look, you just don't seem to fit".
Sure, you can still get fired but if you want to receive unemployment benefits, having evidence is going to the best thing to do. Companies are known for firing people in a certain way so they lose their benefits, even if they appeal.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I don't. I maintain great relationships with the C level execs and make myself invaluable. For 20 years it has worked well in every field I've worked in.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't. I maintain great relationships with the C level execs and make myself invaluable. For 20 years it has worked well in every field I've worked in.
That works if "you're a good fit." At a former employer, I did my work, received a positive review, and positive feedback from clients and outside agencies yet my supervisor didn't like me due to personality.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:58 PM

15 posts, read 12,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Congratulations on your perfect employer and life!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
That works if "you're a good fit." At a former employer, I did my work, received a positive review, and positive feedback from clients and outside agencies yet my supervisor didn't like me due to personality.
Which confirms that good work is rarely appreciated. Obedience and personality is much more valued. It didn't matter some people showed up 1-2 hours late at work as long as their boss is ok with it. Corporate America is just another welfare system for those that are wired to the higher ups. The more powerful friends you know the less work you have to do.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Which confirms that good work is rarely appreciated. Obedience and personality is much more valued. It didn't matter some people showed up 1-2 hours late at work as long as their boss is ok with it. Corporate America is just another welfare system for those that are wired to the higher ups. The more powerful friends you know the less work you have to do.
Even more of a reason to have evidence. If supervisors are going to go back and try to say how you didn't do something right or well and you followed their directive, having things in writing is invaluable.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 AM

624 posts, read 763,177 times
Quote:
What happens when HR continues to rely on an ambiguous definition of "confidentiality"? At a former employer a friend of mine had some issues with a supervisor and didn't know how to handle it. She asked me for advice and I told her to go to HR and she did. She was also quite young at the time and didn't always know what the best course of action was.

Whens she went to HR, her supervisor asked her why she was making the report and my friend briefly mentioned how she had talked to me and I suggested she go to HR. Then she was written up for "violating confidentiality" because when an incident occurs, only the people involved are supposed to know about it (in spite of EVERYONE knowing what the issue was). How do you combat vague HR interpretations?
HR is not in place to help or protect the employee's rights.

HR is in place to protect the company from the employees.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
HR is not in place to help or protect the employee's rights.

HR is in place to protect the company from the employees.
^ Probably one of the best statements yet. Never assume HR has your back. YOU have to have your back no matter what your occupation. For years I've always kept my job searches active, just out of curiosity while happily employed but IF something were to happen tomorrow then I have a contingency of available positions to fall back on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment