Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 06:37 PM

532 posts, read 958,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This happened to me on a thread about group living, ala Golden Girl. One person posted constantly about how this would never work, the finances would be impossible to figure out, there were laws against people who weren't related living together, women could never get along, who wants to live with a bunch of old cat ladies anyway, she didn't expect her roommates to provide care for her in old age, she was rich enough to hire her own help... On and on and on about how not only did she have no interest in living with other women, she didn't think it would work for anyone else either.

Posting links to articles where indeed this is working all over the country didn't slow her down a bit.

It brought down the conversation down, as you might imagine.

Finally, I posted that I was surprised that those who had interest in topic continued to post.

It was like waving a red flag in front a bull. I finally had to block her posts. It just got ridiculous.

I mean really. I don't go to the diet threads and post that dieting is impossible and they're all a bunch of fat cows or the motorcycle threads and talk about how anyone dumb enough to ride a motorcycle is signing up for a head injury.

It made no sense.

But then, not everything does. As posts on this thread will attest.
Sorry you had to go through that, it is silly. Nothing wrong with everyone having their own opinions and I enjoy a nice friendly debate, but I have to draw the line when I feel I am being personally attacked. Blocking can be a wonderful thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 06:48 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Unionized workers - period. Not needed in this day and age. If a person performs well on the job, they should have one. If not, "bye-bye".

Old 03-13-2014, 07:18 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Unionized workers - period. Not needed in this day and age. If a person performs well on the job, they should have one. If not, "bye-bye".
I have worked both union and non-union jobs. I'll take union any day of the week.

People can perform well on a job and still be fired because of a nutty work situation. At least the union will stand behind you as you fight it.

Safety conditions are almost impossible to enforce all by yourself. Even with the backing of your fellow workers, it's a tough row to hoe.

Unions set the bar for pay and working conditions. When the unions are gone, and we're almost there, we'll all be scrambling for peanuts.

Sure there are incompetent union workers who don't get fired.

Just as there are incompetent non-union workers who don't get fired.

As the posts above will attest.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:25 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Coworker physically assaulting me, throwing things at me while other coworkers around, told boss, nothing happened.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:19 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
This sums up that failed machine shop I was recently working at. They are "borrowing money to pay the utility bills" - nice - but absolutely will not change their failed business model. Lay off people who were doing their job while keeping the company drinking buddy, hunting buddy, bimbo, etc. employed? Sure... Actually get off their rears and start properly quoting parts for realistic prices and ship dates? Nope. Do something about the culture of hate and blame that is dragging the place down? Nope. Stop replacing skilled sub-contractors with cheaper nitwits? Nope. Stop ditching reliable customers for new ones that won't even pay the company? Nope.

In the time I was there, I often thought to myself upon leaving work each day that the place didn't deserve to be in business... and it looks like that is how their story will end.
Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell who is who in this arena. Many, possibly most machine shops are family operations. There's usually a considerable amount of preferential treatment for reasons outside of what a worker contributes to the company. It does destroy companies.

There's plenty of once good companies that also go to crap when the kids take control. Pretty soon, they are using the business account as a personal spending account. Even better when they take out loans just to cover their fancy appetites. The margins usually don't cover the abuse. The business, and the jobs once provided, are erased forever, nullifying dad's 30 years of hard work and sacrifice.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:13 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
She also enforced falsification of documentation and making sure we were all on the same page with our lies when the department of health came around for surveys.
I LOVED catching people/facilities/medical offices pulling **** like that, and making them pay for it.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,940 times
Quote:
You're single?

Shocking.
I just don't have the get up and go Passion's mom has. I mean my MAN could possible talk to hundreds of women a day. What if he's bi or bicurious?! Then, I'll have to talk to the men, too! That's how "happy" marriages of 50 years work.

I love how everyone is bad mouthing me. Not Passion only posts in this thread...

Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,940 times
Quote:
This happened to me on a thread about group living, ala Golden Girl. One person posted constantly about how this would never work, the finances would be impossible to figure out, there were laws against people who weren't related living together, women could never get along, who wants to live with a bunch of old cat ladies anyway, she didn't expect her roommates to provide care for her in old age, she was rich enough to hire her own help... On and on and on about how not only did she have no interest in living with other women, she didn't think it would work for anyone else either.

Posting links to articles where indeed this is working all over the country didn't slow her down a bit.

It brought down the conversation down, as you might imagine.

Finally, I posted that I was surprised that those who had interest in topic continued to post.

It was like waving a red flag in front a bull. I finally had to block her posts. It just got ridiculous.

I mean really. I don't go to the diet threads and post that dieting is impossible and they're all a bunch of fat cows or the motorcycle threads and talk about how anyone dumb enough to ride a motorcycle is signing up for a head injury.

It made no sense.

But then, not everything does. As posts on this thread will attest.
I keep posting because you and Passion are being rude in your responses. I asked a legitimate question and got catty responses. Don't be rude and be surprised when people respond back in a rude manner.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:58 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell who is who in this arena. Many, possibly most machine shops are family operations. There's usually a considerable amount of preferential treatment for reasons outside of what a worker contributes to the company. It does destroy companies.

There's plenty of once good companies that also go to crap when the kids take control. Pretty soon, they are using the business account as a personal spending account. Even better when they take out loans just to cover their fancy appetites. The margins usually don't cover the abuse. The business, and the jobs once provided, are erased forever, nullifying dad's 30 years of hard work and sacrifice.
In this case, it wasn't a true family operation, but connections mattered far more than anything else. The COO was a perfect example of this, but he wasn't the only idiot there who had a job solely because he drank beer with the right people.

Long story short:

1) Founder created the company and did a good job running it.

2) About 5+ years ago, he turned it over to his "good buddy" to run. The founder became semi-retired in place (though still the company president) and the COO took over all day to day operations.

3) The problem is that the COO is a total sociopath. His only management skill is screaming at people and escalating every interaction to one step short of a fist-fight. He also had no business skills. As time went on, he increasingly underbid every job and ignored all the data he had that told him the actual time and expense of producing a part. This meant, at least in recent years, the place lost money on most orders. He also wastes money on stupid things, throws good sub-contractors under the bus, shoves aside good customers to be replaced with shady ones who don't pay the company, etc.

4) The company starts a long, slide into oblivion. The company only makes money from repeat orders and loses money on every new job. The problem is, thanks to the gross underbidding and dishonest ship dates, the place angers more and more customers, resulting in less and less repeat business. The COO, being a sociopath, skillfully places the blame for this on everyone else but himself, basically convincing the company President that everybody who works there is a moron. Common sense would dictate that this can't be true - especially since some of the people worked there before the COO took over the place went to pieces - but the President buys into it since he cannot admit to having made a horrible mistake in turning the place over to his buddy.

5) In the end, the company crashes and burns thanks to the idiocy of the COO. Every serious error that cost the company a significant amount of money can be traced back to his decisions, and yet I'm sure the company President will walk away from the ruins patting his buddy on the back and apologizing for all the "morons" who worked there.

Nothing worse than a back-stabbing, stupid snake in a position of authority.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I keep posting because you and Passion are being rude in your responses. I asked a legitimate question and got catty responses. Don't be rude and be surprised when people respond back in a rude manner.
June, you may want to reread your posts. You questioned Passion's maturity right off the bat, then proceeded to make several other condescending comments about being a secretary, working for her father, how her mother watches her father like a hawk...

None of these comments had anything to do with ridiculous things experienced at work.

Can't help but wonder where this is all coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment