Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 AM

84 posts, read 105,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Many folks pester govt. workers for bus tokens. Why some case manager along the way couldn't figure out how to get him a monthly bus pass is beyond me.

I would always check to see if perhaps they had someone else managing their money. Sometimes this person could be persuaded to buy them a bus pass. Or see if they could be signed up for a program that involved getting bus tokens for job seeking. I printed up a three page questionnaire about what employers they had contacted, how the contact had gone, what they needed to follow up with. When they would bring that filled-out questionnaire back, they could get another bus token.

I don't know what the big deal is with bus tokens as they are not that expensive and most who were forever bugging for tokens were on Disability so they were getting money. Many smoked, so clearly they had enough for bus tokens.

And the constant, constant stories about bus passes being stolen. Oh, Lord.

It is the coin of the realm among certain folks.
Actually, with this particular gent, it was far more than the token. When I was called to intervene, I stepped into a situation that I thought was easily resolved by just giving him the freaking token, even if it meant giving him a token every day. This is someone with what appears to be a very unusual OCD issue; it wasn't really that he wanted or needed the token. He wanted and needed to come in every day and stand in line and assert his "right" to the token (as evidenced by the times when he was given tokens; he'd find another reason to stand in line and pester the worker, such as, dragging out some old paperwork and asking her to count the pages). Also, he had free medical transportation for getting to where he needed to go; we checked with his mental health case worker about his transportation needs (knowing full well he'd be back the next day needing a new bus pass or yet more tokens ).

This guy wasn't selling them, trading them for cigs, etc (he wasn't getting them TO tell/trade). After a 10 minute conversation with him that veered into the Twilight Zone within 10 seconds, I could tell that the gates were down, the lights were flashing ... but that train was never going to come. He still comes in every day. I think he literally cannot help himself.

We had another gent who would come at the same time every day and strip down to shorts and stand in front of the enormous clock we have affixed to the front of the building and raise his arms up as if worshiping it.

A woman who came in to apply for cash assistance for herself and baby. She brought baby with her. Cute thing, for a plastic doll. She wasn't kidding or trying to scam. She truly thought it was her baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracijo1967 View Post
Actually, with this particular gent, it was far more than the token. When I was called to intervene, I stepped into a situation that I thought was easily resolved by just giving him the freaking token, even if it meant giving him a token every day. This is someone with what appears to be a very unusual OCD issue; it wasn't really that he wanted or needed the token. He wanted and needed to come in every day and stand in line and assert his "right" to the token (as evidenced by the times when he was given tokens; he'd find another reason to stand in line and pester the worker, such as, dragging out some old paperwork and asking her to count the pages). Also, he had free medical transportation for getting to where he needed to go; we checked with his mental health case worker about his transportation needs (knowing full well he'd be back the next day needing a new bus pass or yet more tokens ).

This guy wasn't selling them, trading them for cigs, etc (he wasn't getting them TO tell/trade). After a 10 minute conversation with him that veered into the Twilight Zone within 10 seconds, I could tell that the gates were down, the lights were flashing ... but that train was never going to come. He still comes in every day. I think he literally cannot help himself.

We had another gent who would come at the same time every day and strip down to shorts and stand in front of the enormous clock we have affixed to the front of the building and raise his arms up as if worshiping it.

A woman who came in to apply for cash assistance for herself and baby. She brought baby with her. Cute thing, for a plastic doll. She wasn't kidding or trying to scam. She truly thought it was her baby.
Oh, for fun. No wonder you all had security guards.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I'm sorry. I forgot you need a PhD and ten years of experience before you're allowed the honor or being a secretary.
Being a secretary in a law firm (or anywhere else really) is far from easy.

You need computer skills, multi-taskings skills, good grammar and, probably most difficult of all, the ability to deal cranky, condescending people who think they are better than you are but couldn't hold down your job down for a day.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 AM

84 posts, read 105,229 times
Quote:
Oh, for fun. No wonder you all had security guards.
No, we have actual deputies (police officers) in our lobby.

As you can imagine, they are absolutely the cream of their professional crop

Old 03-13-2014, 11:16 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,880 times
Quote:
Well, you've got "your" and "you're" down pat, anyway.
You've got sarcasm down pat, tracijo1967.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:18 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,880 times
Quote:
Being a secretary in a law firm (or anywhere else really) is far from easy.

You need computer skills, multi-taskings skills, good grammar and, probably most difficult of all, the ability to deal cranky, condescending people who think they are better than you are but couldn't hold down your job down for a day.
Because my generation and the one coming up very soon, haven't been raised on computers our whole lives.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
It's a mystery to me how such operations stay in business.
They don't.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
No, we have actual deputies (police officers) in our lobby.

As you can imagine, they are absolutely the cream of their professional crop
I would be so tempted to give a couple bus tokens to the deputies and tell that poor man that the deputies were the ones with the bus tokens, you just had to be persistent to get them.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:

I worked in mental health for a number of years. Your stories brought back fond memories.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:08 PM

821 posts, read 1,099,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

2. Employees lie to get a job... like they are doing anyone a favor.
If employees land jobs as a result of clever lying, then they are doing themselves favors. I've lied, and had others lie for me. I might even have a friend of mine who is a manager lie for me when it comes to my next job hunt.

I truly believe the modern job search is a form of psychological and intellectual warfare, and all is fair in love and war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment