Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,848 times

Advertisements

Ok. I. Really. Can't. Take. Much. More.

Seriously my coworker has been coughing for almost 2 weeks now. And then he came in the other day with pink eye. How the hell can I approach this without sounding like a jerk? I really can't take the coughing anymore and it is not fair the rest of us have to listen to it or possibly get sick. It is a loud, hacking type cough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,920 times
Drop a bag of cough drops on his desk and tell him to see a Dr?

Old 03-10-2014, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
Drop a bag of cough drops on his desk and tell him to see a Dr?

I think this should be the obvious answer. I'm not going to tell him to do anything. He is a grown man and has a wife. I'm talking about going to Human Resource director.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:55 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
If you have the point system in place like we do at our warehouse, many of our employees who come in sick have to face another point if they take a day off, so it's be sick or be penalized. I agree, he shouldn't be there and co workers might suggest to him a day off, or two.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:00 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Is it possible he has allergies and/or asthma? This time of year is rough on those folks!!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:12 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedEveryDay View Post
Ok. I. Really. Can't. Take. Much. More.

Seriously my coworker has been coughing for almost 2 weeks now. And then he came in the other day with pink eye. How the hell can I approach this without sounding like a jerk? I really can't take the coughing anymore and it is not fair the rest of us have to listen to it or possibly get sick. It is a loud, hacking type cough...
Have any of you gone over to him, and asked him what's wrong, why is he obviously feeling so bad? Forty-five years working, and I was never in a work environment where co-workers wouldn't have expressed some concern and interest in a situation like this.

I find that far, far more bizarre than his coughing. Ask, maybe you'll find out.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:35 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Have any of you gone over to him, and asked him what's wrong, why is he obviously feeling so bad? Forty-five years working, and I was never in a work environment where co-workers wouldn't have expressed some concern and interest in a situation like this.

I find that far, far more bizarre than his coughing. Ask, maybe you'll find out.
I agree. Hopefully it's an allergy or a mild respiratory condition. If he has not seen a doc, he should. Coughing can be anything from mild airway irritation to more serious conditions like COPD or lung cancer.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,920 times
I was being facetious about you telling him to see a doctor. The advice on the cough drops still stands….

Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Cough from sinusitis (which I have now) can last for weeks and longer depending on conditions. My suffering changed when I moved from Chicago to SC. I still get it but it doesn't last as long now. If you are annoyed by it; how do you think this guy feels about it? I guarantee it bothers him more than it does you. Is he a smoker?

Old 03-10-2014, 04:32 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
I've been sick for weeks, coughing every day at work. I can't take leave because I have a disabled family member at home and really need the hours. No one at work even notices me, they don't even seem to care. And to top it off, someone is AnnoyedEveryDay and was heartless and cruel enough to talk to HR about me.

Yeah, it must suck to be healthy and be annoyed by other's misfortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment