Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 PM

821 posts, read 1,097,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
So the basic idea of this thread is that thinking that no one owes anyone a job is due to a sense of entitlement?

Personally I would think it's just the opposite. Anyone who thinks that they're owed a job is a self-entitled child.
Way to keep perspective of what we speak of here and considerate of you to acknowledge what some lengthy posts contain.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Earn it. Deserve it. Don't think the world owes you anything. This world is not your home.
If you exist on this earth, part of the world is your home, whether it's part of a street in a cardboard box or n apartment or a mansion.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Sooo.... you guys owe me something? Sweet! PM me for my address. I'm waiting for all the stuff you guys are about to send me or job offers!
Way to keep perspective of the thread. Thanks for your meaningful contribution.

Gotta love the one to two line zingers on CD.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
So the basic idea of this thread is that thinking that no one owes anyone a job is due to a sense of entitlement?

Personally I would think it's just the opposite. Anyone who thinks that they're owed a job is a self-entitled child.
Actually we think one is QUALIFIED for a job and that fellow human beings should treat others with dignity.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, no, I volunteered and interned for years to get the experience.
Way to keep the perspective and context of what I speak of. Out of all I wrote, this is what you respond with, as if you couldn't understand what I meant.

If I have it correct, internships worth their salt requiring qualification.

People accepted you to volunteer and I don't think they would have done that if they didn't think you qualified for the volunteered duties or you weren't of good character. So you have to qualify in SOME way.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:38 PM

260 posts, read 426,218 times
Quote:
Well, no, I volunteered and interned for years to get the experience.
Me too! I'm still volunteering, have been for the last 5 years. It's the only thing I can get after all those rejections from all of the part time employers, but I'll take whatever's available.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,797,099 times
Of course I had to qualify. Why is that a bad thing? I had to learn qualifications, then convince someone to let me demonstrate them. Nothing wrong with that. It is a minimal expectation. We should expect nothing less than that.

I understand perfectly what you meant, but go ahead and be condescending. I just reject it. I also disagree with what most people on here mean by "meritocracy", I have a far wider view of what that means.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,831,425 times
Another way to put it is "Work is a privilege, not a right." Privileges are not necessarily earned, and often nor given to the most deserving. Certainly being the son of the boss helps, as does being born into a legal or medical family, and graduating the exact year when your major is in demand.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Of course I had to qualify. Why is that a bad thing? I had to learn qualifications, then convince someone to let me demonstrate them. Nothing wrong with that. It is a minimal expectation. We should expect nothing less than that.
I agree with this. Who said qualifications aren't needed? I am not special but I have a masters and took an internship and take my job very seriously and people I've worked with consider me a conscientious worker and I don't mind putting myself out. I slept at my job for Hurricanes Sandy and Irene. Where in this thread did I devalue qualifications and pulling one's own weight?

Quote:

I understand perfectly what you meant, but go ahead and be condescending. I just reject it.

Odd, considering what I say above and that I agree with you: one should qualify for a position.

Quote:
I also disagree with what most people on here mean by "meritocracy", I have a far wider view of what that means.
That's fine.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,436,402 times
I've used the statement "No one is owed a job."

When I use the statement, I mean no company is obligated to keep workers who no longer meet their needs. I usually use the phrase when people post silliness about being terminated or complaining about being in an "at will" state.

Everyone has the right (and the power) to earn a living and to take care of their family and personal obligations. But nothing is owed to us. No one (besides ourselves) is responsible for seeing that our needs are meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment