Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,081 times

Advertisements

it was the worst job i ever had i honestly did it to make some money i use to hold a sign for a smoke shop that sold glass pipes water pipes anything you can name ! but working there was a nightmare i was the longest employee working there an they would constantly tell me what to do ! they basically saw me as a human buildboardsign they didnt care that it was very hot outside at all ! whenever the shop was slow they would be rude mean whatever ! i was there for 2 years at first it wasnt so bad because i was working in ft lauderdale but after 1 year there the second shop went out of buisness an i moved to the first shop where i had to share hours with some homeless guy that just sat in a chair for 8 hours never moved then he had to leave because he was loitering cops told him to leave i was fine because i was flipping the sign an moving it around ! they never said a word to him or anything they were nicer to a homeless man then me an i was working so hard for 2 years tried to get to work inside ! it was a boguss job everyone there gets paid under the table an not in taxes the place should be shut down too they smoke inside the storage room hopefully they will. plus i only made 7$ a hour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
I can't imagine that EVERY one for the sign holders aren't thinking " why didn't I stay in school?"

Old 08-24-2016, 11:54 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I can't imagine that EVERY one for the sign holders aren't thinking " why didn't I stay in school?"
or "I'm doing this to go to school, so I'm not doing this later."

Old 08-24-2016, 12:07 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
- Low pressure
- Relaxing
- Get to meet friendly people
- Always in the outside, great for people who love nature
- Soak up the 'real world' around you while others hide away in cubicles
- Competitive wages despite no entry requirements, overtime available
- Opportuniteis to upsell verbally, to build powerful, trusting customer relationships
- Chances to put a human face on your Company brand and get real results
- Possible entry into advanced marketing lucrative high-flying sales careers
- Fairly exclusive, difficult to get into due to such high demand

Can you even give a reason not to be a sign holder ??

I think not!

Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM

206 posts, read 154,368 times
I did sign holding for a bit while attending community college. The pay was good for standing around doing nothing (12/hr, 18 year old college student). However I was too naive to realize the possible sun damage. But besides that I didn't mind it. I had competing businesses trying to poach me to hold signs for higher pay, or they thought I was making minimum and would offer 10 per hour.

I only stopped doing it when word went around that I was doing that for work, so people who knew who I was would drive by and offer me food (not in a positive way) as if I was starving and doing that job out of desperation or something. So I asked the agency I was working for to give me another job.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
I feel bad for the ones dressed as the Statue of Liberty during tax time, green metallic facepaint & all.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM

115 posts, read 98,635 times
With social media and the internet, i'm still shocked that this is a thing. For $15 a hour I would rather pay someone to sell my products on eBay or Craigslist vs. holding a sign on the road.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:02 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I have to wonder about this because they are all over the place now. Some of them have to wear costumes and dance around, which in the Florida heat can't be all that fun, but others get to just sit there in a chair behind the sign for their whole shift, talking on their phones or listening to music, or radio shows, or whatever.
Well, was on a sidewalk and one lady was STARING at one who was just standing there with the sign...doing nothing much to attract attention. She then crossed the street and the guy saw her coming and man, was he flapping it around. Nope, she wasn't fooled, took it and FIRED him on the spot.

Turns out they DEMAND sign wavers to WAVE them, not just stand and hold them like the beggars here do. Sitting in a chair? FIRED! On a cell phone? Better be a brief call or you're dead meat. Waving at people, doing some silly stuff and generally attracting attention will get you MORE work.

Doing less, gets you no work....

Old 08-25-2016, 02:25 PM

206 posts, read 154,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, was on a sidewalk and one lady was STARING at one who was just standing there with the sign...doing nothing much to attract attention. She then crossed the street and the guy saw her coming and man, was he flapping it around. Nope, she wasn't fooled, took it and FIRED him on the spot.

Turns out they DEMAND sign wavers to WAVE them, not just stand and hold them like the beggars here do. Sitting in a chair? FIRED! On a cell phone? Better be a brief call or you're dead meat. Waving at people, doing some silly stuff and generally attracting attention will get you MORE work.

Doing less, gets you no work....
When I did it years ago they didn't make me wave the sign. All I had to do was sit there and take care of it. Fairly simple. They were nice people though.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:37 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I had a friend that did it for a few months. He said it was super easy, but boring.

I think some businesses have the sign spinners because they are not allowed to post up a sign, even a non-permanent one. However, it's perfectly legal to have someone stand there holding a sign.

This must explain also why sometimes you see those old vans acting as advertisement signs. They aren't allowed to post a sign, but having a van parked there is perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment