Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times

Advertisements

As in all of these situations, if you wish the $$$ and flexibility this job provide, I suggest giving him exactly what he's asking for. All of it. In detail. Flood him with it.

Keep a log of what you do. Down to the minute. Then, privately, calculate your time, and present him with the time and the logs. If you work as little on the side business as you say you do, it will not hugely impact your total hours. In the times where you're not working on your side-business calls, but instead, have nothing to do for this guy, record it as administrative duties.

To summarize: GIVE HIM WHAT HE'S ASKING FOR. After awhile, he'll tire of the poring through the logs and just say "screw it".

To summarize to everyone: When your boss asks for something, just give it to them. All of it. Always. With a smile. Let them come to the conclusion themselves that they really don't need or want all of the minutae.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 02:00 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumg1 View Post
Forgot to mention that my side business doesn't offer the same services the main business does, however they are in the same industry. The owner was made aware of this and even told me that this is fine. I never answer my phone if I'm talking with his clients or when I'm onsite. I'll just let it go to voicemail and call them back later. However if there is downtime and I'm at the office, then ill answer and talk with them for a few minutes.
You seem insistent on this employer paying to run a business seperate from your full-time employer. No employer will ever tolerate this. Run your business and forget this job, or don't run your business on the clock. One or the other. The arrangement you want will never be accepted by a full time employer.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:15 PM

4 posts, read 3,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The minute you started working on your side business, you should go off the clock till back working for him. This is called Double Billing. You in effect were wanting paid twice (by the employer and by your own business) for the same time period. If you make a complaint expecting him to pay you for the time you were working on your own business you will lose.

This article explains it clearly. It is about attorneys billing practice, but it applies to other businesses as well. It is called fraud.
When I first met with him, the agreement in place was that I would get paid as an employee with an hourly rate and I could still do stuff for my business. What I didn't include in my first post is when he got back from the first week, this is when he told me that if I did stuff for my business I wouldn't get paid, which is why he wanted me to write everything down to account for what I've done for his/my business and lunch. So if I worked 8-5 and did stuff for my business for an hour, then I would subtract 1 hour for the time I worked. I can't do work for my own customers except for sending a few emails and answering very few calls that come in. I did not have customers come to his business to do work there and expect to get paid, that would be wrong. I need to be at my home shop to do the real work for them through my business. The expectations he had were not clear and the agreement was modified .

Old 03-13-2014, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
You seem insistent on this employer paying to run a business seperate from your full-time employer. No employer will ever tolerate this. Run your business and forget this job, or don't run your business on the clock. One or the other. The arrangement you want will never be accepted by a full time employer.
I'm not going to disagree with you on this. I wouldn't hire an employee for my own business if he was working on his business. However he agreed that I would get paid from the time I arrived to the time I left and if I had to take a phone call or do whatever, then I could as long as it wasn't interfering with his stuff.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:51 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumg1 View Post
I'm not going to disagree with you on this. I wouldn't hire an employee for my own business if he was working on his business. However he agreed that I would get paid from the time I arrived to the time I left and if I had to take a phone call or do whatever, then I could as long as it wasn't interfering with his stuff.
Well he obviously doesn't agree now so you are in essence left with the choice above. I agree he owes you for the time you worked, but from here on, he's presented you with what he expects, so your choice is as mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment