Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 09:47 PM

29,702 posts, read 24,784,687 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move for the 3rd time in 5 years. I've realized I hate staying in one place for too long. Once I get bored, I find myself dreaming of some place new. It doesn't matter if the grass isn't greener. I just hate seeing the same scenery day in and day out.

So what happens to candidates who move around a lot? I can only imagine that most companies want someone who will stick around for the long term. At the same time, no job is permanent anymore, no matter what they tell ya. They need ya when they need ya, and can ya when they don't. So am I sabotaging my long term prospects by leaving employers and their jobs in the dust? Will this lack of commitment present challenges in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,936,526 times
I thought you were in the process of buying a house. Is it not going to be in Chicago metro?

As for being a job hopper, yes, you need to stop. If other candidates are available with a more stable history, they will be looked at far more favorably.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:57 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,360,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm planning to move for the 3rd time in 5 years. I've realized I hate staying in one place for too long. Once I get bored, I find myself dreaming of some place new. It doesn't matter if the grass isn't greener. I just hate seeing the same scenery day in and day out.

So what happens to candidates who move around a lot? I can only imagine that most companies want someone who will stick around for the long term. At the same time, no job is permanent anymore, no matter what they tell ya. They need ya when they need ya, and can ya when they don't. So am I sabotaging my long term prospects by leaving employers and their jobs in the dust? Will this lack of commitment present challenges in the future?
I don't believe so in your situation because you're continuing to acquire skills and have a good work ethic. If I remember right, you're still in your 20's, and you have the itchy feet because you're still young. In ten years, you may be more likely to settle down for longer in a particular area for a longer period of time.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 PM

29,702 posts, read 24,784,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I thought you were in the process of buying a house. Is it not going to be in Chicago metro?

As for being a job hopper, yes, you need to stop. If other candidates are available with a more stable history, they will be looked at far more favorably.
It was a short sale. I can terminate the offer with no ramifications. Other areas are looking more attractive. Same pay, or pretty close, with cheaper COL, particularly in the tax front. The potential job is also in a very stable industry, and the position is higher up in the food chain.

I have no doubt that local candidates receive preferential treatment. At the same time, I speak with folks looking to hire who are claiming that their local supply is running dry. Most companies are very busy, and those with the right skill sets have long been snapped up. At that point, employers start posting job as in parts other parts of the country, hopping to attract out of state talent. Even still, it was very easy to find out of state work 4 years ago, and things weren't nearly as busy.

I can understand why an employer might take issue, but they also have a pressing need to fill a job. And really, there is no better way to acquire well rounded exposure to an occupation outside of job hopping. I've worked with many workers who stayed at the same company for years on end. These folks usually were good at one or two things, and their comfort zone was severally limited. Basically, these were disposable/throw away workers who were easily replaced and never missed. That's the danger of allowing yourself to become pigeonholed in a narrow role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I don't believe so in your situation because you're continuing to acquire skills and have a good work ethic. If I remember right, you're still in your 20's, and you have the itchy feet because you're still young. In ten years, you may be more likely to settle down for longer in a particular area for a longer period of time.
What I have found benefitial about moving around and job hopping... Every place does things differently. Learning multiple approaches has allowed me to attack problems in the most efficient and practical manner. Most people know of a way to accomplish a task. The more valuable worker is the one who can find the shortest path towards achieving the desired outcome. It has nothing to do with working harder, and everything to do with working smarter.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:30 AM

12,076 posts, read 23,189,033 times
Depending on the job/industry, yes, it can hurt you. While most people don't get a job and work for the same place for 30-35 years anymore, most employers want some stability. I don't want to hire you knowing I am going to be hiring your replacement in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment