Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 AM

11 posts, read 20,642 times

Advertisements

In the Goldsboro, NC area?:
Industrial Systems « Welcome to Wayne Community College | Goldsboro, NC

Im 19, so I figure since Im young, employers would hire me as an Industrial Maintenance Technician because Im more physically able and by the time Im 25, I'll probably have enough experience to be hired as an Industrial Maintenance Technician anywhere. I'll also probably transfer this to a University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:11 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
Nobody will hire you without experience and you can't get experience without someone hiring you.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There is no degree or certification that guarantees a job, including this one. The import thing is whether there are experienced people being laid off as more manufacturing goes overseas, that you would be competing with for every job.
I work with people doing that kind of work (I'm in commercial and industrial real estate) and every one I have seen at the various plants are at least 40. The younger people I see are working the assembly lines, packaging and shipping. Do it if you feel like you will enjoy the work, and I wish you luck, but don't expect to have employers lining up to hire you as the college advertisement would suggest.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:00 PM

29,796 posts, read 24,880,628 times
What are the core areas of study? Folks with experience dealing with hydraulic and pneumatic issues are always needed. Beyond that, depending on the size of the operation, the company may outright hire folks with knowledge of the electrical trade. For what it's worth, I've always been told that it's difficult to find maintenance workers with knowledge and troubleshooting skills dealing in hydraulics. When things slow down, production workers are laid off en mass. Not so with people possessing unique or difficult to find skillsets.

I've done some time in maintenance. You'll likely start out with plenty of cleaning, scrubbing, disassembling and reassembling... As you bust your behind, your employer will pass on bits of knowledge as the opportunities arise if they like you. Even with a degree or certification, you will need some experience before anyone lets you touch some of the more important stuff. Later on though, as you learn, you can even start a business and offer maintenance services to other companies.

The jobs may be a little undesirable, but think about it... Most people would rather avoid this type of work. This may be a benefit to you as a job seeker. Plenty of industrial jobs going unfilled these days, and this will become more prevalent as the older workers continue hitting retirement age.

Personally, I don't think industrial maintenance is a terrible choice. The skills and knowledge are often transitional, and never out of season. I prefer to work in the skilled trades, but when work slows down (as it often does) having a skillset to fall back on is quite a benefit. Having said that, it can be hard on the body. Developing proper lifting techniques is imperative. Always stretch in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There is no degree or certification that guarantees a job, including this one. The import thing is whether there are experienced people being laid off as more manufacturing goes overseas, that you would be competing with for every job.
I work with people doing that kind of work (I'm in commercial and industrial real estate) and every one I have seen at the various plants are at least 40. The younger people I see are working the assembly lines, packaging and shipping. Do it if you feel like you will enjoy the work, and I wish you luck, but don't expect to have employers lining up to hire you as the college advertisement would suggest.
The techs who service computer controlled equipment tend to be rather young. These folks are sent out by the manufacturers of the machines, or through a local troubleshooting service. Internally, I have seen younger maintenance workers, but they are usually hired for their back, and not for their experience. I'm sure they aren't paid much starting out, but after they prove their worth, and acquire some experience, the money can be decent. It's not exactly easy to find young people willing to work hard, get dirty, and show a little hustle. Companies will often take care of these folks if they prove themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment