Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 02:07 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
There have been numerous studies done on the subject but I used the word "arguably" because we won't know until another 3 decades the impact of this generation. However, all studies points towards a negative impact. I have done a lot of research into the subject and most scientific data supports the conclusions from my previous post. There are even classes for supervisors in the work place that are designed around how to handle different employees and their personalities. Guess which group was classified as the most difficult to deal with? Here is an article that includes the results of studies that reflect the traits I mentioned:

http://aflv.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=9oRpYJDnhCw%3D

You can say its nonsense all you like but cold hard data would tell you otherwise. Everything you described above is personal experience. That not never an accurate way to make an assumption of something as broad as traits that are common among an entire generation.

In regards to your examples, I believe you answered your own question. Every generation has their share of bad apples. Those types of people you mentioned can be found in all age groups. I was specifically referring to the traits I mentioned in regards to millennial. All studies find that those traits are found among a much higher proportion of millennials then the previous generations.
Interesting article, but it clearly has a heavy bias to it - for example, slapping the Millennials around for "not doing math in their heads" as if using a computer is somehow a bad thing. A lot of the article also reeks of sour grapes - young people don't have to marry their high school sweetheart because now they can look for people on online dating websites - gasp, the horror!

Finally, I take issue with the statement "For example, Millennials' perceived entitlement isn't a result of overprotection but an adaptation to a world of abundance." That is FAR more true of the Boomers than the Millennials. The Boomers grew up in a world of nearly limitless jobs and rapidly advancing technology. While the Millennials have continued this trend, it is hardly something new. That, and Millennials are also NOT experiencing that nearly limitless supply of jobs that their parents had. So, no, I would not say they are the generation to grow up with "the most" since electronic gizmos do not replace a solid job market, affordable education, affordable healthcare, affordable housing, etc.

So, while the article may raise some valid points, it is clearly written by somebody pushing an agenda - he or she doesn't like young people and is willing to overlook the flaws of his own generation to make that point.

Let me put it to you this way: This nation's economy has been hollowed out not by the young but by the old, and it's not the Millennials who are sitting pretty on mountains of cash while continuing to bleed the jobs out of the nation. While I don't support narcissistic sociopaths of any generation, I think the older generation should remove the plank in their own eye before complaining about the speck in the eyes of the young.

Also, who raised the Millennials? Yep... the older people who are now aghast at having created young reflections of their own personality disorders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 02:11 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Youre probably noticing that the few 20 somethings who were actually able to find a job, are demoralized and pissed off at the state of affairs. Theyre buried under debt from that overpriced degree, theyre probably supporting someone in some way or another, they probably bring in just enough to cover the ever increasing bills we are getting in the mail, and theyre probably seeing how no one around them is getting decent promotions/raises.

Just probably, theyre pissed off.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:14 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Youre probably noticing that the few 20 somethings who were actually able to find a job, are demoralized and pissed off at the state of affairs. Theyre buried under debt from that overpriced degree, theyre probably supporting someone in some way or another, they probably bring in just enough to cover the ever increasing bills we are getting in the mail, and theyre probably seeing how no one around them is getting decent promotions/raises.

Just probably, theyre pissed off.
Now, now - as we've been told countless times around here, expecting all those years of work and education to amount to something is "being entitled!"

On the flip side, working at a company for 20 years while coming into work for 30 and then collecting a pile of benefits to last you through retirement is somehow completely different... funny how that works.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Congratulations you just met a Millennial. They are arguably the worst generation of Americans to ever populate this country. While every generation has had their share of kids that "dream big but I don't wanna to work for it but I deserve it all" attitude; this generation has a higher proportion of them then any generation before.

Some typical general traits that describe them are: Selfish, narcissistic, know it all's, lack of respect for experience, entitled attitude, spoiled, lazy etc. How do I know all this? Unfortunately I'm part of this generation and I see this in my peers all the time. To be honest, if someone initially judged me based on my DOB I wouldn't blame them, because as a whole our generation is pretty pathetic.
Oh yea thanks for all the debt, social security, bailouts, offshoring, price fixing, price gouging, bias subsidizing, bull **** excuse for an economy you left us to clean up. You sure took what the greatest generation built and did a great job with it didnt you!!

Old 03-14-2014, 02:32 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,190 times
Quote:
Oh yea thanks for all the debt, social security, bailouts, offshoring, price fixing, price gouging, bias subsidizing, bull **** excuse for an economy you left us to clean up. You sure took what the greatest generation built and did a great job with it didnt you!!
So not only did you completely miss the point of my post but you also just displayed half the traits of a millennial. For example, your post clearly is written in a way where you assume I'm from a generation born prior to generation Y. This would be a display of the trait of "know it all" because you decided to read only a part of my post. Since you know everything already there was no need to read the rest where I clearly stated that I was a millennial. And so there's exactly what I was talking about in regards to millennial......

Old 03-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
So not only did you completely miss the point of my post but you also just displayed half the traits of a millennial. For example, your post clearly is written in a way where you assume I'm from a generation born prior to generation Y. This would be a display of the trait of "know it all" because you decided to read only a part of my post. Since you know everything already there was no need to read the rest where I clearly stated that I was a millennial. And so there's exactly what I was talking about in regards to millennial......
Uh huh, so youre gen y huh? I assumed you arent a millennial because most people wouldnt bash their own generation and word it the way you did. Im sure for the sake of THIS argument you are a millennial.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Interesting article, but it clearly has a heavy bias to it - for example, slapping the Millennials around for "not doing math in their heads" as if using a computer is somehow a bad thing. A lot of the article also reeks of sour grapes - young people don't have to marry their high school sweetheart because now they can look for people on online dating websites - gasp, the horror!

Let me put it to you this way: This nation's economy has been hollowed out not by the young but by the old, and it's not the Millennials who are sitting pretty on mountains of cash while continuing to bleed the jobs out of the nation. While I don't support narcissistic sociopaths of any generation, I think the older generation should remove the plank in their own eye before complaining about the speck in the eyes of the young.
I was referring to the studies that the article mentioned where they gave data on the traits I mentioned being more prevalent in millennial. I realize the article was very long so maybe you didn't have time to read the whole thing. I picked it for a reason. It was actually a pro-millennial article. After describing the negative traits the author gave a prediction of the future. He concluded that he believes that millennials will do well despite their shortcomings. I just wanted to give you a pro article because I'm not biased nor do I blindly hate millennials (after all I'm one).

But based on the history of human civilization I have to disagree with the author. Almost every great civilization has had preceding generations degrade in terms of qualities that helped them become great in the first place. It would be quite hard for me to believe that the USA will be the only exception in all of history. So based on that its likely that gen Y will be the worst yet.

However, I completely agree with you regarding the economy. That definitely was no fault of any millennials. Furthermore, they have much less opportunities to succeed in comparison to previous generations; though a lot of their lack of success has to do with the traits that I listed. My observation was purely in regards to them having a higher proportion of negative personality traits in comparison any previous generation.

Last edited by griffon652; 03-14-2014 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 02:42 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Now, now - as we've been told countless times around here, expecting all those years of work and education to amount to something is "being entitled!"

On the flip side, working at a company for 20 years while coming into work for 30 and then collecting a pile of benefits to last you through retirement is somehow completely different... funny how that works.
We need to reclaim the word "entitled." It's hardly a bad thing.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Uh huh, so youre gen y huh? I assumed you arent a millennial because most people wouldnt bash their own generation and word it the way you did. Im sure for the sake of THIS argument you are a millennial.

Are you serious??? I clearly stated in my first post that I was a millennial! You know the post YOU quoted??

By the way I CANT edit something you quoted. So if you don't believe me go read YOUR OWN post with my quote. And you wonder why I said what I said about millennials. Your literally displaying every trait I listed with your posts.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 PM

836 posts, read 1,119,079 times
You're just out of school, first job, and you already have an attitude. Maybe they should try to think of this job as a place to get some experience for a few years, then look for another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment