Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:37 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
INTJs need not apply.. we only accept team oriented ESTJ sheep here who will play ball and listen to the middle management. It's a good idea for the corporations but I don't see personality discrimination happening. Best they can do at this point is to go on facebook to see if there are pictures of you with bongs or whatever.
Nevermind INTPs. Perish the thought of free thinking seeping into corporate america.

Last edited by tairos; 03-18-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
I potentially have great news for the people that hate these tests. If they are truly ineffective, then either companies will stop using them or they will spiral downward and lose out to their competition because they are hiring substandard employees, so yay for you guys.
That is completely untrue. Research has long indicated that interviews do next to nothing to predict job performance, yet they're typically the deciding factor in getting hired. Similarly, productivity peaks out around 6 hours a day, yet employers feel free to work you long past that point (and without overtime, of course) anyway. In the latter case, it's probably because they can just fire burned out employees and replace them at whim, but still.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:43 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Nevermind INTPs. Perish the thought of free thinking seeping into corporatet america.
Why would they allow "free thinking" in the workplace? That's counterproductive to the task of forcing everybody into strictly defined categories and tight boxes.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:07 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times
personality tests are nothing but a waste of time money and computer bandwidth

---

everybody knows how to answer those questions so essentially its pointless

how bout just interviewing people, asking real and relevant questions and making a decision based on that

i understand its a way to filter candidates but answering 60, 70 stupid questions really has no bearing on how you will work becuase i will say

"yes, it's extremely likely that coworkers would come to me for advice"

Old 03-18-2014, 01:11 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
how bout just interviewing people, asking real and relevant questions and making a decision based on that
Manpower. Companies don't have the HR staff to weed out thousands of applicants. A personality test doesn't require any more time than handing someone the papers and a pencil.

I know of a company where the HR people throw stacks of resumes in the air, literally. Any that land face up get calls. Any that land face down get rejection letters. It's sad, but true. I've witnessed this "procedure" with my own eyes.

Given that, I think I'd rather take my chance on a personality tests and being seen by a real live person than trust the fate of the density of the ink on my resume.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
That is completely untrue. Research has long indicated that interviews do next to nothing to predict job performance, yet they're typically the deciding factor in getting hired. Similarly, productivity peaks out around 6 hours a day, yet employers feel free to work you long past that point (and without overtime, of course) anyway. In the latter case, it's probably because they can just fire burned out employees and replace them at whim, but still.

Job performance is only one thing you're trying to figure out through an interview.

And while return may peak at 6hrs and diminish, it isn't like there aren't returns after 6 hours, they're just diminishing.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Job performance is only one thing you're trying to figure out through an interview.

And while return may peak at 6hrs and diminish, it isn't like there aren't returns after 6 hours, they're just diminishing.
But of course. They're trying to make sure you're the 'right sort.' More thinly veiled corruption.

It would be better to have two 6 hour employees than one 10+ hour employee. Guess which way corporate america goes. It's the same sort of profligate myopia that gives us incremental infrastructure improvement from low bid contractors that requires expansion/maintenance almost immediately upon completion.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
personality tests are nothing but a waste of time money and computer bandwidth

---

everybody knows how to answer those questions so essentially its pointless

i understand its a way to filter candidates but answering 60, 70 stupid questions really has no bearing on how you will work becuase i will say

"yes, it's extremely likely that coworkers would come to me for advice"
Actually eveyone doesn't. Of course anyone who has a clue what the job might entail would figure out the right answer.

For example in a job that requires interaction with the public or customers, they're looking for helpful personalities, good listening skills. Some people can't figure that out and if they can't figure out the right answer, you can't expect they will figure it out on the job.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
That doesompletely untrue. Research has long indicated that interviews do next to nothing to predict job performance, yet they're typically the deciding factor in getting hired. Similarly, productivity peaks out around 6 hours a day, yet employers feel free to work you long past that point (and without overtime, of course) anyway. In the latter case, it's probably because they can just fire burned out employees and replace them at whut still.
A good interview definitely does. If for example someone claims some special experience in their resume, for example they claim a certain skill set and you ask them specific questions, you can easily find their actual level of knowkedge. For example a machine they should know. You can find out if they probably just saw one, ran one, maintained one or selected one. Sometimes just asking the manufacturer of a machine they used, what they liked about it, or didn't like. You can tell by vague or specifuc answers.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
"Should workplaces be allowed to discriminate against prospective job applicants by having them pass a personality test..."

No. (Unless a potential employee can ask executives to pass a similar test to reveal their personality).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search