Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:47 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times

Advertisements

Should workplaces be allowed to discriminate against prospective job applicants by having them pass a personality test for certain positions? These tests are now prevalent on online applications for customer service positions, and I know from experience that these inventories are not easy to pass and leave many able-bodied people searching for work when work would otherwise be available. It's my opinion that an employer should be willing to give anyone a chance, especially if it's the type of job that apparently "anyone" can do, e.g. unskilled labor. What are your thoughts on this? Who writes these inventories, and why?

I know I've been shut out many a time from getting another part-time job because of these personality tests. I don't agree with the insensitive cold mechanical glaze this nation is starting to apply. Everything is done online and sorted through by computers, like a machine that can't even catch my grammatical errors most of the time is capable of deciding whether or not I'm the right candidate for a job. I sincerely think companies need to rethink this hiring strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:28 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
What kind of tests are you talking about? Briggs Meyers typing or something like that, for management/professional positions or screening for jobs where personality and performance would clearly correlate? If so, employers should absolutely use them if they want. there's no reason on earth that they should give everybody a chance if they have a way of screening out applicants that have a low likelihood of being suited to the job. And job applicants should be happy about it. If I'm a detail and order freak how well do you suppose I'd do in a job that's has constantly changing priorities? Or if I'm a people person needing constant stimulation, how well am I going to do at a job that requires solitary and routine tasks?

And BTW, not anyone actually can do "unskilled" labor, or at least not for long. If somebody is overqualified or bored or has an "attitude" then they aren't going to do well with coworkers or customers, or they're going leave ASAP.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 03-17-2014 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: forgot a point

Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
What a joke! Are you a boss? Those personality tests that make the online app take forever are a big waste of time. All that trouble to apply to an entry level 8-10 dollar an hour job? I've applied before and they're inconvenient.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:30 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
I applied at an exterminator company for an admin job and I had to take a personality test. It was called DrakeP3.
I didn't get the job, but I don't think it was because of the test, the two interviewers were younger than me, and it sounded like they wanted someone with a sales personality(which is not me)
I have also had to take tests for Nordstrom & Macys.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 AM

The question is; are the tests a good thing?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What a joke! Are you a boss? Those personality tests that make the online app take forever are a big waste of time. All that trouble to apply to an entry level 8-10 dollar an hour job? I've applied before and they're inconvenient.
Yes, I am a boss. I'm talking about serious tests, per my post, such as Briggs Meyers. Ever hear of it?

As for whatever tests you've been forced to take, how do YOU know they're a waste of time? Just cause you happen to think so?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Yes, I am a boss. I'm talking about serious tests, per my post, such as Briggs Meyers. Ever hear of it?

As for whatever tests you've been forced to take, how do YOU know they're a waste of time? Just cause you happen to think so?
Figures only a boss would give such a standard rebuttal to the op. Point is, the personality tests on most online job applications for entry level retail work seems ridiculous. Why screen for jobs that require selling shoes or hardware? Now do you have a typical corporately response to that?

Old 03-17-2014, 10:06 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
I have always had to take one as a 911 dispatcher, I think it has some value as it can weed out those with zero common sense (it is very scenario-based).

However, for retail jobs? Anything like that? Seems silly. Maybe they get so many applicants that they try and weed out people. I think the only winner here is the one who gets these companies to pay for their tests.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:07 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I give an indirect personality test, when I interview someone in our group. I let others interview the person as well to see how he/she interacts with others then get feedback from the group to see how they feel.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I have always had to take one as a 911 dispatcher, I think it has some value as it can weed out those with zero common sense (it is very scenario-based).

However, for retail jobs? Anything like that? Seems silly. Maybe they get so many applicants that they try and weed out people. I think the only winner here is the one who gets these companies to pay for their tests.
Exactly, for retail it seems like a big racket. For upper echelon jobs I agree they're pretty important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search