Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM

41 posts, read 226,057 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is a sales merchandiser for Kellog's. She is trying to persuade me to switch jobs. According to her she is a sales merchandiser and makes about $5,000/month from an hourly wage and commission. She also apparently has plenty of time off as she travels a lot. She said some of it has to do with work, but it looks like mostly fun from what I can tell. However, she isn't exactly the most honest person I know so I'm wondering if anyone else has worked for Kellog's as a merchandiser, and if you can share your experience with me. From what I've seen online, the merchandisers are only paid around $8-10/hour. Even working on commission some (which she says she does), it seems really unlikely that she makes that much money. I'd hate to leave my job (even though I don't particularly like it - it pays the bills) and not have it live up to her claims. So any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,000,718 times
Ive known a few merchandisers, and 5k a month seems a bit higher than reality.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:54 PM

292 posts, read 1,241,375 times
We may be talking about two similar-sounding but different positions here (and sometimes used interchangeably): merchandisers and merchandising. From what I've been able to gather over the years, merchandisers are individuals that go out to stores and restock, arrange and maintain the displays for a product line. There are also merchandising positions, which are a step above this position and usually require a degree. These are the individuals that plan the displays, decide the best way to market the product, and sometimes take on tasks that buyers perform. Maybe the person mentioned above is at the higher level. That is a totally reasonable salary for that position.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:49 AM

41 posts, read 226,057 times
She could be the merchandising position. I do know that I have run into her at the grocery store several times, and she is always stocking the shelves. Maybe she has a job that is a combination between the two because if it is stocking the shelves, I can't imagine they would pay that much! Thank you for your replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment