Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 04:51 PM

17 posts, read 33,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Desktop administrator is where it's at. I sit around in my office for 9 hours a day playing minecraft. The only time I have to do work is when we get new software that needs to be installed on all the computers or if someone opens up a email that has a virus I have to fix the computer for them. Installing new software isn't too bad though, I just hook up multiple computers and run the installation wizard then go back to minecraft on my laptop until it gets done installing, then hook up more computers and repeat. The only other thing I've had to do was encrypt company data and since the folders were pretty large it took around 30-40 minutes for each one, so select the file, run the program, play minecraft, rename encrypted folder, go to the next one. I also get paid $18 an hour so it's not a bad little job.
For someone who already graduated from college without majoring in computer science nor taking any computer classes, what could be done to gain the skills that employers are looking for when hiring a desktop administrator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,491,526 times
1 Look up job postings for desktop administrators.
2. Get those skills and experience.

You have to know something about computers to actually get a job in the computer field.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,878,348 times
If you're basing your job search on how much free time you can get, you're doing it wrong.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 PM

881 posts, read 1,814,417 times
same OP as How do you get this IT job with lots of free time? or is there a sudden increase in people wanting to be paid for doing nothing?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,534 posts, read 81,025,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
same OP as How do you get this IT job with lots of free time? or is there a sudden increase in people wanting to be paid for doing nothing?
This person has 3 threads on the same subject, apparently trying to get paid for sitting around doing nothing.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:49 AM

398 posts, read 745,861 times
Why would you want to go to work, only to do mindless stuff? :/
You don't like learning or challenges, do you. It won't take you very far if you don't apply yourself. It's cool now but not 7+ years down the road..

Old 03-20-2014, 12:26 PM

322 posts, read 384,364 times
Quote:
I am wondering the same thing. I have been a system administrator previously and it was feast or famine with regards to workload. I hated the times when I was slow. I crave the challenge of software/hardware engineering.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,640,424 times
Quote:
just become a government worker you get paid for doing nothing all day.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:31 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,467,761 times
This is ReadingTime 3.0. ReadingTime and some other screen name before it started a few threads on free time working as a security guard and CNA.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 PM

17 posts, read 33,054 times
I found job description of desktop administrator:

Quote:
Basic Qualifications:
  • Associates Degree in Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, or equivalent technical work experience or certifications, required (how might one gain the equivalent technical work experience or certifications? What might be considered equivalent?)
  • 1+ years experience in application, technical support, desktop, helpdesk, or systems administration, required
  • Experience supporting Windows based users in a Microsoft Active Directory Domain environment, required
  • Experience imaging desktops and laptops, required
  • Experience troubleshooting basic LAN\WAN issues, required
  • Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook), preferred
  • 1+ years’ experience with Epic, PICIS ED PulseCheck and Stockell, preferred
  • Customer service and/or healthcare experience, preferred
  • Experience with supporting electronic medical records, healthcare billing revenue cycle system or similar product, preferred
  • A+ or Microsoft certifications, preferred
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment