Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:29 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times

Advertisements

.....I'm still trying to figure out how on earth you make $800 a month delivering papers. My son had a paper route for a while, just one- but he only made $40 a month. How many routes do you have that you make $800 a month? And I'm also wondering, if you have trouble standing because of the arthritis, I would assume you have trouble walking as well....how are you able to manage enough routes to make the amount you do with all of the walking involved, and not have major, major flare-ups?

Sorry, it just doesn't make a lot of sense...?

Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
.....I'm still trying to figure out how on earth you make $800 a month delivering papers. My son had a paper route for a while, just one- but he only made $40 a month. How many routes do you have that you make $800 a month? And I'm also wondering, if you have trouble standing because of the arthritis, I would assume you have trouble walking as well....how are you able to manage enough routes to make the amount you do with all of the walking involved, and not have major, major flare-ups?

In my city, all, or almost all, of the newspaper routes are car routes. Quite a few of the routes are full time jobs for adults.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 PM

58 posts, read 83,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post

Two routes for a total of about two hours a night and the total amount of walking is less than 100y.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedhelp253 View Post
My writing isn't worth a ****
What about tutoring or teaching disabled kids? Or going into occupational therapy - adults or kids? You seem pretty educated and literate.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
To the OP: It's obvious that you are clinically depressed. If you dont go to a doctor and/or a therapist, I doubt if you will be able to get out of the state of mind you are in. This is where you need to start.

Your family relationships, your social life, your job prospects, your opinion of yourself and your capabilities can all change with the right help. You've got to reach out to someone who can help.
I am seeing a psychologist but it isn't really helping. She seems to agree that there just isn't much that I can do. I'm not agreeable to taking anything.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:49 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
1. You said you got an associates degree. Can you go back to that college for career testing? A lot of this sounds as if you are struggling to find a place in the world world but have no idea what you have an aptitude for. I wonder if a good session or two with a career counselor might show you some paths you hadn't considered? Vocational rehab, to me, sometimes seems like it's trying to fit round pegs into square holes. Career aptitude testing, though, takes into account personality, strengths, weaknesses, and other factors.

2. Economies rise and fall. This one has been unsteady during a crucial time in your life. But it WILL recover -- look at history. There's ups. There's downs. Don't assume that the economy is down for the count. It WILL bounce back.

3. See your doctor about depression. If you're in constant pain to some degree, that can be very wearing on the soul. Have you considered re-thinking your arthritis medication? If it's not working, perhaps a different treatment approach?

4. I know you want to be happy and love your job - who doesn't? Sometimes, though, a **** job is a steppingstone to a job that isn't quite so boring, and so on. It's a mindset -- if you remind yourself that "this isn't me, this is just my job" or "this is not my job forever", it might help you get through the day without too much angst. Think of a job as simply a way to finance the parts of your life that aren't spent working.

You're 24. You're a year younger than my son, and year older than my daughter. They are both taking their first steps out into the world of work, and what I noticed is that they both needed reminding that their first job was NOT their "forever" job. It's a way to test the working world, to learn how to be independent, and discover your true strengths.

And, finally -- attitude is everything. It disturbs me that a young person at your age is ready to pack it in when you have a life just unfolding in front of you. I would strongly encourage you to find some means of obtaining some kind of counseling. You're in a dark place, your view of the future is unnecessarily bleak, and you have some real health issues. I think you need some support in finding your way out of this hole. You've got a lot on your plate, but it CAN be solved. You're reaching out here -- so even deep inside, you're hoping that there's an answer. Find that hope, hold on to it, and use it to take a step in a different direction.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:51 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedhelp253 View Post
I am seeing a psychologist but it isn't really helping. She seems to agree that there just isn't much that I can do. I'm not agreeable to taking anything.
Find a different psychologist. This one doesn't seem to be a good fit. Psychologists are like shoes -- they may all be the same size, but they all fit you differently. And refusing to take an anti-depressant is like a near-sighted man refusing to wear glasses, or a diabetic woman who doesn't take insulin. There's no judgement value in taking an anti-depressant -- in fact, the pros strongly outweigh the cons. If I were you, I'd try ANYTHING that would help lift me up out of a dark hole. And it may be that your depression is acute, not chronic -- in which case, you take it long enough for you to get on top of your life, get a handle on it, and move on. BTDT.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Find a different psychologist. This one doesn't seem to be a good fit. Psychologists are like shoes -- they may all be the same size, but they all fit you differently. And refusing to take an anti-depressant is like a near-sighted man refusing to wear glasses, or a diabetic woman who doesn't take insulin. There's no judgement value in taking an anti-depressant -- in fact, the pros strongly outweigh the cons. If I were you, I'd try ANYTHING that would help lift me up out of a dark hole. And it may be that your depression is acute, not chronic -- in which case, you take it long enough for you to get on top of your life, get a handle on it, and move on. BTDT.
Nah

Old 03-26-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post

2. Economies rise and fall. This one has been unsteady during a crucial time in your life. But it WILL recover -- look at history. There's ups. There's downs. Don't assume that the economy is down for the count. It WILL bounce back.
The economy isn't going to get better. It's in a long-term decline due to irresponsible acts of government, and the worst is yet to come.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:26 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,368 times
Based on some of your responses to the suggestions people have made; its apparent that one of your biggest challenges is going to be yourself. You are refusing to consider all options that may help you. Your looking at things in the short term. So what if you have to take a job that makes you miserable now? If you have to stay there for 5 years and then can get a job you love for the rest of your life, it would be worth it.

You reasons for refusing to do certain jobs are either based on your personal principles or being emotional (I hate this job so I refuse to work it). I would recommend you try to look past those two reason and take anything that will help you to establish a FUTURE that you can live with. Stop living in the now, because that's clearly holding you back from putting in full effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment