Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 01:05 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Women in the workplace have NOT done a good job helping other women. It's why middle age women in corporate America seem to be vastly disposable while the middle aged man fares far better.

The men protect each other; golf together, etc. Several different ethnic groups mentor one another.

Women - we do nothing. We need to get our shyte together. I swear TODAY that if I can help one women get ahead - I will do so.
Why do you think that is? I've always found it interesting how when I have seen polls asking women if they would prefer having a male or female boss for example, it's almost always overwhelmingly male; even co-workers.

Granted, I have to say I feel the same way. I have noticed when men, for example, see another man that is really great and awesome at something guys tend to think "Hey, that dudes cool let's bring him into our fold", whereas women seem to think "Kill, destroy" sadly when they see another woman that is really intelligent/smart/great. Men tend to build each other up whereas women tear each other down, it's quite sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Am I being TOO judgmental?

Any one else chuckle or shake their head at some comments by stay at home moms about keeping their skills up by doing the household finances or volunteering for community groups -- or even serving on a company board.

I'll see, hear or read comments about how they've keep their skill current by doing those things (VERY part-time), so they can re-enter the job market -- after being OUT of the market for 5 or ten years.

My first thought is that just by saying you think THAT keeps your 'skills' 'up to date' shows how out of it they are.

MAYBE if a person had a real work-place part-time job I could accept the comments a little better. But I want to say, honey, (no offense intended) doing the family budget or volunteering for the PTA....while better than NOTHING I guess, doesn't mean your job skills are up to date.

Being out of the job market, I wonder if they really know how hard it can be to find a job -- when you HAVE one, let alone you've been out of the market.

And 2) maybe the kind of entry level job a housewife of ten years would get...you wouldn't need a whole lot of skills for anyway. But even then they'd be up against 100 other people for that job.

My polite, restrained, simple answer:

Yes, you are being too judgmental...among other things.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:46 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
It is - for fewer and fewer.
Then again, if you can do it by "cutting back" it means you have enough to cut back from.

Also, many dual-income families work so they can also help their children later, not just early in life.

Mommy-and-me time can be fun for both mom and kid; but college funds, tutoring to get into one of the few professions still allowing for some dignity, a down payment on a house or any little nest egg - those will be God-sent for any young adult of tomorrow.

Many families can predict the brutal competition tsunami coming their children's way. It's called globalization.
Have you read the thread on call centers in the Employment forum? As a parent, I get sick to my stomach to think my children could end up there. So I hope not.

If you are middle age or older...chances are you came of age competing for a pretty decent job with a few of your blessed fellow Americans. You were all living snug and comfortable within the well-guarded borders of the most privileged nation in history.
The employment borders are now open and your children will compete with a very big and very hungry Globe.

Chances are they will have it much worse then you did. Therefore they may need more help from you than you ever needed from your parents.
This post bears repeating. You raised accurate, superb points in it.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Why do you think that is? I've always found it interesting how when I have seen polls asking women if they would prefer having a male or female boss for example, it's almost always overwhelmingly male; even co-workers.

Granted, I have to say I feel the same way. I have noticed when men, for example, see another man that is really great and awesome at something guys tend to think "Hey, that dudes cool let's bring him into our fold", whereas women seem to think "Kill, destroy" sadly when they see another woman that is really intelligent/smart/great. Men tend to build each other up whereas women tear each other down, it's quite sad.
I don't feel that way at ALL. It has been my female bosses that have helped me through the ranks; they also understand work and family issues. That's just been my experience.

I just don't see it happening lately. Perhaps workplace culture has simply gotten too cutthroat.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm projecting that "onto the rest of you".
I have no job, no kids, I am not married, I have no dog, my ID is about to expire and a blister on my behind just won't go away.
Your ability to draw conclusions is enviable. Put it on your resume and you will always be able to razzle-dazzle that job market
That didn't sound bitter at all

Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
This post bears repeating. You raised accurate, superb points in it.
I agree. And that's why our kids started Mandarin Immersion school in kindergarten. We're thinking way ahead.

As for returning to the work place, I (a dad) was laid off in 2009 and couldn't find work, so became a SAHD by default for a year and a half. I found contract work and have been working on contract for the past 3.5 years. I didn't find that I had lost any skills when I returned to work. I'm frustrated that I haven't been able to find perm. work, so I started working on a certification last Fall and will be done with the coursework next month. This will update and add to my current skills, so I'm hopeful.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:16 AM

356 posts, read 1,269,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Am I being TOO judgmental?

Any one else chuckle or shake their head at some comments by stay at home moms about keeping their skills up by doing the household finances or volunteering for community groups -- or even serving on a company board.

I'll see, hear or read comments about how they've keep their skill current by doing those things (VERY part-time), so they can re-enter the job market -- after being OUT of the market for 5 or ten years.

My first thought is that just by saying you think THAT keeps your 'skills' 'up to date' shows how out of it they are.

MAYBE if a person had a real work-place part-time job I could accept the comments a little better. But I want to say, honey, (no offense intended) doing the family budget or volunteering for the PTA....while better than NOTHING I guess, doesn't mean your job skills are up to date.

Being out of the job market, I wonder if they really know how hard it can be to find a job -- when you HAVE one, let alone you've been out of the market.

And 2) maybe the kind of entry level job a housewife of ten years would get...you wouldn't need a whole lot of skills for anyway. But even then they'd be up against 100 other people for that job.
I was a stay at home mom for 8 years. I went right back in the job market, got a job and am once again a top sales person. The 8 years made no difference.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:40 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
I'm a sahm and have been for the past ten years. I've been offered two jobs in the last five, out of the blue. I'm not planning on returning to work so I turned them down. Both were related to volunteer work I do for a nonprofit and for my children's school, where I handle large budgets and produce a lot of copy.

Now were either job the kind of salary and career track that I was on before kids? Nope.

One thing I think that affects this debate as well is the kind of network that many sah parents have. If you can financially stay at home for several years then you may live in a neighborhood (or go to the gym with or your kids play soccer with) with many successful people who may be hiring managers or friendly with hiring managers. Networking is still a big deal and many of the SAHMs I know that have returned to work did so by tapping their existing network.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Speaking of living in the 1950's, it's nice to know that in 2014, non-SAHMs (non-parents and non-female alike) are always there to scold us like children about our choices in life. To tell us what we experience in the employment field, what direction we should take in our lives, remind us of our place. Seems like a 1950's thing to do?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:02 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Quote:
Whatever happened to working for your own family, in your own home?

Does that still count - or only a job or a volunteer with some formal organization exonerates?
Unfortunately, employers don't think it counts and THAT is the real problem. I think our culture nowadays places less value on the kinds of relationships you build through networking on a community level versus a work level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment