Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:37 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
lol. good luck selling generic dvds or junk that isn't specific on ebay with the hope of making enough for even lit emergency funds. baking cookies and raking in the bucks is also rich. I laughed and laughed. is this like the 1940's or something? you'd need to sell your cookies at exorbitant prices and have little to no overhead cost with good supply routes and numerous regular clients. essentially, you'd need to start your own business, or i guess if you're married fleece other married couples in the usual way (tupper wear parties, sex toy parties, soaps, cooking utensil, etc).

cutting grass ain't bad though. you'll need to spend a few hours knocking on doors to find people who don't mow the grass themselves or already have the neighbor kids doing it, but it can work if you don't already have a full-timejob that takes up your entire day. of course quitting your job for the grass cutting won't help too much since you need your full-time job to pay any of your bills.

but i guess everyone already has or lives within a 30 mile radius of eager beavers wanting to buy cookies, get their grass cat, and buy junky dvds they can watch on netflix.
Much truth to what you post here.

So some think its easy to relocate in todays economy? . I highly doubt it.

EBay was popular in 1998. Today, if say you are selling jewelry, you are competing with GLOBAL sellers, who run wholesale Ops. etc. It is a ridiculous statement to tell any American they will "make money " on EBay. Maybe if you're 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 08:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

So some think its easy to relocate in todays economy? .

Do you advocate doing only that which is easy?

Old 03-30-2014, 10:01 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Much truth to what you post here.

So some think its easy to relocate in todays economy? . I highly doubt it.

EBay was popular in 1998. Today, if say you are selling jewelry, you are competing with GLOBAL sellers, who run wholesale Ops. etc. It is a ridiculous statement to tell any American they will "make money " on EBay. Maybe if you're 20.
"Today's economy." That phrase is so overused. Of course it's today's economy, not tomorrow's or yesterday's. You move if you have a job to move to and while it may not be easy, that is how you get ahead.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:53 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Today's economy centers on white collar office work which is generally centered in the major cities. I can't imagine what someone living in a small town will do apart from commuting many hours or living on welfare.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:37 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
A good friend or two or 3 can be VERY IMPORTANT. I have friends that I hang out with, but none really I can talk to about mortgages, rent, or really serious issues. However, they're still groups I can ask stuff about, and it beats drinking at bars by yourself, playing single player video games, watching TV by yourself, or spending too much time here on the internet like here on C-D (no offense )

There are cases where it can make sense... for example, my sister is making enough money for her family of 4. My bro-in-law could've easily just been a stay-at-home dad (which has its many perks for the overall picture), but ended up taking a job that was sort of given to him by reference since it would go a long way towards pursuing future work if need be (he was out of work for 4 years at the time). Ohh, another thing... she's moved for a high-ish level management position where not only did they pay to move their stuff, but also for movers to come in and pack up everything! That's thousands of $$ saved right there alone!

TLR, but I'm sure others have covered family obligations, or their area may already be better for employment prospects.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:09 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually there are a lot of situations you haven't considered. You started this post based on your own situation. Doesn't sound like you're married or have children or any family obligations.

I to have lived in several states. But that doesn't mean everyone wants to do that.

You make it sound so easy...LOL. Just sell your house and go. There are people who are trying to sell houses, there is a lot of competition for that. Than you have people who don't want to yank their kids out of school and move them some place new. Maybe there are elderly parents to be concerned about.

There are many situations.
I'm 37, and I have a wife and two kids. Our first move was actually from abroad TO the US, and we subsequently moved from small-town Louisiana to New York City. This was not easy, but we managed it fine. Not everything in life is easy; I was just offering a possibility.

(In both instances above, we had to go into short-term debt in order to afford the move. However, the resulting positions have been well worth it, and if I hadn't moved I would probably making just over half of my current salary. So, that $10K we borrowed was "paid back" in far less than a year. Again, I'm not saying my results are necessarily typical, but I am suggesting that moving is at least a *possibility*, and those who haven't really considered it might want to give their job search parameters a think.)

Last edited by jeffpv; 03-31-2014 at 06:58 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 07:47 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
This has turned out to be a much better thread than i expected. I am just shocked at the number of people, the majority, who have an excuse of why they can't move. I simply can't understand where the drive to succeed at any cost went. I just lived the move for a job, so I know how it feels. I also know how difficult it was and how many times I could have just said "this is too hard". Where is the drive to better your situation? How is staying and being unemployed even a valid option to someones self worth and self esteem? I sure don't get it and think it does not bode well for the future of this country. Next it will be too hard to leave the house so why even bother working in the neighborhood.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 AM

757 posts, read 1,093,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
This has turned out to be a much better thread than i expected. I am just shocked at the number of people, the majority, who have an excuse of why they can't move. I simply can't understand where the drive to succeed at any cost went. I just lived the move for a job, so I know how it feels. I also know how difficult it was and how many times I could have just said "this is too hard". Where is the drive to better your situation? How is staying and being unemployed even a valid option to someones self worth and self esteem? I sure don't get it and think it does not bode well for the future of this country. Next it will be too hard to leave the house so why even bother working in the neighborhood.
A bit off-topic but it's like when I run into people who wouldn't drive 10 more miles to see a world-class doctor for a serious health problem. They just can't fathom doing the research and driving those extra miles when it comes to their health. "I live in X City and I won't drive to Y City". Never understood it.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:14 AM

52 posts, read 79,030 times
I actually did this about 6mths ago. I lived in PA and knew I wanted to move. My Dad passed away and I said that's it there's nothing holding me here now and I'm doing it. I wanted to live near the beach so I did research for months, all the while saving anything I could each week (and I'm a single mom of a son who was just a baby at the time and no help financially or otherwise from anyone else or public assistance). I quit my job, packed up and moved 18hrs away to FL. I saved for months, cashed in my 401K so I could take a few months off and enjoy my new area and the beach and a lot of extra time with my 2yr old. I have two college degrees and am working on my bachelors now so I thought it would be fairly easy to find a job even if I had to waitress for awhile. Here I am 6mths later and still unemployed. I finally found a job but it is horrible hours and childcare for a non M-F 9-5 job is almost impossible to find. I'm actually planning on taking this job but moving again at the end of my lease further south to another area of FL where the job market is a better and it's warmer all year round. While it may seem my situation didn't turn out the best it's the best decision I've ever made in my life. Starting over is scary and moving where you know nobody is definitely an experience but it feels so refreshing. It's wonderful exploring and finding all the fun stuff to do in our new town and being able to drive 20min and be on one of the most gorgeous beaches in the country! I grew up in a town of 4,000 people and never lived outside of it and I was 32 when I moved, now that I did this I know I can go anywhere and do anything and be just fine, it's liberating!

Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
I read somewhere that 80 something percent of people live within 50 miles of where they were born.

I was raised to go where the job is. I lived in three states and three countries as a kid and I've lived in three states as an adult. We've lived here now for six years and I'm positively itchy to move again even though I love it here. Keeps life interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment