Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:09 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,417 times

Advertisements

Hiring is for a period of years, not days, so the minimal cost of bringing someone from out of the area is easily absorbed in the person's tenure. Someone coming from farther away would be more likely to stay longer, for the most part, which saves in hiring time and expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 03:12 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Maybe if our welfare benefits wouldn't be so generous, people in areas where there are no jobs would start searching out areas where jobs are.

When you make it too comfortable to stay unemployed ( govt $$$$$$) there is little incentive to seek out work elsewhere.
It's not an easy transition from homeless to employed. You need an address and a valid ID, plus a place to stay and food to eat while you look for work. Plus the cost of living in major cities (often where the most jobs are) is higher than what most of the jobs pay. A person on their own couldn't afford it unless they had other people living with them. Some major cities THEMSELVES are in a mess economy wise, and are no different than the little towns these so called welfare people are based in.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
A TV station ran an interesting feature a few years back.

A guy who owned a few hotels in Philadelphia was driving in Baltimore MD and there was a traffic jam. A group of young black men would approach cars and offer to wash their wheel cover for a fee .............or else you face the consequences.

He lectured them on why they didn't look for a real job and they said " no one is hiring"
He gave each one his card and said he will hire them if they make the effort to go to Philadelphia and show up at his hotel.

Two weeks later, one guy showed up.
He got offered a room to sleep, discounted meals at the hotel restaurant and a full time job working in the hotel restaurant.

Two years later he was getting married and was going to be manager of one of the hotel's restaurants.

I doubt his buddies back in Baltimore found success and are probably still finding wheel covers to hold hostage.

( I believe this was on CBS Sunday Morning a few years back )

Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,330 times
The idea that companies do not hire people out-of-State is silly. I was hired out-of-State and had all my moving costs paid for. It comes down to who the company likes and believes will be the best candidate. The relocation business is a big business. Just do a Google search. Relocation and corporate hosing companies don't stay in business if people aren't hired from other parts of the country.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Maybe if our welfare benefits wouldn't be so generous, people in areas where there are no jobs would start searching out areas where jobs are.

When you make it too comfortable to stay unemployed ( govt $$$$$$) there is little incentive to seek out work elsewhere.
The myth of the welfare queen is still alive for a few people, it seems, even in this day and age.

Two years ago, my husband of 13 years up and left. I had one child. I immediately started looking for a job but there was no food, no money. If I wanted to received welfare - which I turned down - I was eligible for a whopping $135 for the month. In order to qualify for that, I had to volunteer and/or actively look for jobs, 40 hours a week. I had to be able to prove that I did this. So basically, the check would go for gas while you looked.

That's fine, but it doesn't pay the rent or mortgage, doesn't pay for heat and lights. Doesn't pay for medicine or car insurance.

We did qualify for food stamps and received about $350 a month. We were very grateful for this. I made sure that the money that I received was given to my local food bank when I was back on my feet.

So, I received a solid job offer three weeks after he left and was working a month after that. We survived but barely. It helped that a relative paid utilities and that I was already in foreclosure so I didn't pay the mortgage. Otherwise, we would have NOT made it.

The notion that people are lazing around on their sofas eating bon-bons while watching soap operas on their big tv while a Cadillac is parked outside is perpetuated by ignorance.

But I wholeheartedly believe in moving to get a job. I've done it twice, moving about 1,300 miles one time and then about 800 miles 10 years later. and I did it with barely any money. You do what you have to do. If I had to move again, I would.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:06 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:

The welfare queen is a near figment. Sure, a few of them exist - and where there is a system in place, people will exploit it - but they are so rare that it is inaccurate to assume that the system somehow supports or encourages them.

Also, removing social safety nets does not make jobs appear. I get really tired of explaining that. There are 2.6 to 5.1 people out of work per job opening (depending upon if you believe the optimistic U3 unemployment number or the realistic U6 unemployment number.) Removing safety nets will not somehow fix that ratio, and while one could say "move to where the jobs are," there aren't any real places in the nation that are that hard-up for workers. In short, the problem isn't that millions of Americans suddenly decided that they'd rather be unemployed and poor, but rather that millions of jobs were taken from this nation.

Sadly, that horrid person per job ratio is similar across the nation, and you'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere that is truly lacking workers. Sure, some oil patch jobs may be in demand - if you're in that field - and I'm sure there's no shortage of companies here and there screaming about a lack of "qualified workers" - until you look at their requirements and realize that nobody can meet them... and then the visa workers are brought in without qualifications, but they are cheaper, so there you go...

Old 04-09-2014, 02:02 PM

251 posts, read 341,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
The idea that companies do not hire people out-of-State is silly. I was hired out-of-State and had all my moving costs paid for. It comes down to who the company likes and believes will be the best candidate. The relocation business is a big business. Just do a Google search. Relocation and corporate hosing companies don't stay in business if people aren't hired from other parts of the country.
we've had feedback from hiring managers and HR people on this forum saying they don't consider out of state candidates, so the idea isn't that silly. As you said, it's a business, so companies only offer those perks if they can't find local candidates.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:

Blame the states. They control much of the welfare laws, the country just encourages actions. Think about it, emergency unemployment is federal, traditional unemployment is state run, Medicaid is federally subsidized but the states themselves decide the threshold (especially with the expansion for Obamacare.)

Old 04-09-2014, 03:45 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'd move in a heartbeat, but the real estate market in my area is deader than a door nail. If I can't sell, I have no funds to move.
Pick me up on your way through Birmingham, going West. I need to go, and soon. I love my job and even the company I work for. But it's still next to impossible getting a transfer to another locale, especially as far away as California, my dream.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
Good luck to you hipnapster. I appreciate your willingness to go where you can make a life for you. So many just have never had to deal with hardship to get to that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment