Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:27 AM

381 posts, read 814,222 times

Advertisements

I was working with a recruiter who rejected me for being a US Citizen. Their client was looking for people on H1 Visas.

What conclusions should I draw from this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
They received approval of their application for hiring an H1 employee, so are only interested in a foreign worker. If they wanted an American worker they would not have applied for the DOL certification.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:38 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post

That you're not going to get that job.

Move on and don't give it another thought.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:39 AM

^Ain't my style. If they don't have a valid reason for wanting ONLY foreigners, I just can't let it go.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
They received approval of their application for hiring an H1 employee, so are only interested in a foreign worker. If they wanted an American worker they would not have applied for the DOL certification.
Basically, what I was getting at is what possible (or valid) reason could an employer have for having this requirement.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
^Ain't my style. If they don't have a valid reason for wanting ONLY foreigners, I just can't let it go.

You have no choice.

Not sure of you're familiar with it, but there is a think called the serenity prayer. Look it up.

In essence, it says put your energy into things you can change, don't expend energy on things you have zero control over. Be wise enough to know the difference between the two.

Take it to heart. You can spend all the energy you want to on this, it would be energy wasted and it won't help you get a job.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 AM

360 posts, read 811,909 times
Quote:
Whether not it's your "style" a recruiter has told you that you aren't of interest to their client. You could waste time trying investigate this or you could laugh at the stupidity of the recruiter and/or the company who they represent.

Which seems to be a better use of your time?

Old 03-28-2014, 08:50 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Basically, what I was getting at is what possible (or valid) reason could an employer have for having this requirement.
Valid reasons? There are no valid reasons.

Visa workers are cheaper. That's it.

Americans "cost too much" and, as we're so often told, "don't have the right skills" - hahahaha - so instead they'll hire some visa worker - who also probably lacks the right skills and may barely be able to speak our language - for a far lower wage.

The conclusion to draw is that US corporations are cheap and are at the root of the employment problem in this nation.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:52 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
I was working with a recruiter who rejected me for being a US Citizen. Their client was looking for people on H1 Visas.

If so, then it is discrimination on the basis of national origin; I suggest you file a claim with the EEOC.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:53 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Why don't you ask them? It can't hurt.

Quote:
Employers of any H-1B, H-1B1, and E-3 nonimmigrant workers are required to make a filed LCA and its supporting documentation available for public inspection at the employer’s principal place of business or at the place of employment of the H-1B/H-1B1/E-3 nonimmigrant workers within one day after the date of submission of the LCA.
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/h1b.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment