Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Yeah, it sounds like stupid drama. It's not worth getting worked up over, IMO. I'd take your boss's advice and let him handle it..
That's the plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
So because he isn't blonde haired and blue eyes he must not speak English. Nothing racial about speak English at all.
Next time I'll just assume when I'm ignored that the other person must just be having a bad day!

If me asking if you speak English offends you I'm sorry... Doesn't change the fact it's not racist comment. It's a common question that has been asked before.

Ferris Bueller?

Last edited by Kees; 03-29-2014 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: ... Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 02:01 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It's entirely possible that, if he doesn't have a good command of the English language, he may have heard whatever you said to him as some sort of insult in his own language, thus the reaction. Heck, in my first office job in the US you could have heard a pin drop in the embarrassed silence when I called over the partition to ask if anybody had a rubber. I asked again until some kindly person came over to tell me that the American word was "eraser". I had to ask him then, "so what's a rubber"? He was kind enough to let me know.

Ask your boss again on Monday and get it sorted out.
I had an elderly Hispanic co-worker who wasn't real proficient in English ask me that question one time- she knew that it wasn't used in a context she understood, but didn't understand how the word was being used.
She asked me privately, because she knew I wouldn't laugh at her, as some of our more immature coworkers would have.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:02 PM

508 posts, read 663,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
The whole thing was stupid drama stirred up by the other guy who told him what I said just to incite a bunch of crap.

Thoughts?
I would think it very possible that the blabbermouth co-worker presented the situation in the most incendiary way possible. So while the Asian co-worker may not have been all that incensed by what you ACTUALLY said, what he was TOLD you said and did may have been quite something else again.

I can't say why he wouldn't have responded except perhaps his understanding of English is imperfect and he thought you were telling him something rather than asking. Also, did you make direct eye-contact? In many Asian cultures this is considered extremely rude and it may have discomfited him so much that he walked away out of sheer anxiety and couldn't really process what you were saying.

To Look or Not To Look? : Eye Contact Differences in Different Cultures - Newark nonverbal communication | Examiner.com

Old 03-29-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
I would think it very possible that the blabbermouth co-worker presented the situation in the most incendiary way possible. So while the Asian co-worker may not have been all that incensed by what you ACTUALLY said, what he was TOLD you said and did may have been quite something else again.
I'm sure the blabbermouth probably threw in a few lines of his own... that's what they usually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
I can't say why he wouldn't have responded except perhaps his understanding of English is imperfect and he thought you were telling him something rather than asking. Also, did you make direct eye-contact? In many Asian cultures this is considered extremely rude and it may have discomfited him so much that he walked away out of sheer anxiety and couldn't really process what you were saying.

To Look or Not To Look? : Eye Contact Differences in Different Cultures - Newark nonverbal communication | Examiner.com
Yes I did... maybe that was it.

I really don't know what his deal was... he didn't respond to me then blew up over it 30 mins later. Wish it had never happened but oh well.

Rest assured I will be avoiding that guy. I don't need the drama and he needs me a lot more than I need him when it comes to the job. I run a waterjet and plasma and spend my day cutting the parts... he welds them to make a finished product. Without my parts, he is at a standstill. I need nothing from him to do my job.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 5,944 times
I wonder if all the millions of White guys who work menial jobs in China are asked if they speak Chinese.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:22 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
That's what I get for assuming that the guy wasn't just being a rude prick right?

Can't agree with you. It wasn't anything close to racism. When I lived in the south we had a large Hispanic population and it's no different than asking them if they speak English because they sure spoke a helluva lot of Spanish.

My sister has a degree in Spanish and teaches school... With a Hispanic husband named Manuel. I'd ask him the same question if I had to.

Doesn't have a thing to do with racism.
So why did you start this thread if all you wanted to be told, and all you're willing to hear, was that no, it wasn't offensive?

Old 03-29-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator34 View Post
I wonder if all the millions of White guys who work menial jobs in China are asked if they speak Chinese.
Did you join the forums just to ask me that? I'm honored.

To answer your question... I would say yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
So why did you start this thread if all you wanted to be told, and all you're willing to hear, was that no, it wasn't offensive?
You said it was offensive and I don't disagree that I offended the guy... I obviously did although it wasn't intentional. I tried to apologize and he got all hostile and aggressive and started cussing me... so I walked away.

He'll get over it. As for whether or not he likes me... I could care less.

You also said it was a racist comment... and that is what I disagree about.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:27 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Yes, it was offensive. Assuming because someone is "Asian" that they don't speak English is pretty racist. Just ask yourself (and try to be honest) ... if the guy was Caucasian, would you have said that?

You might have said ... "what's up with that guy ... why didn't he answer me when I asked a question?"
give me a break.

The man had a job to do and ingored him. Asking if he spoke English is a logical assumption. What if he started cussing at the man cause he ignored him and just assumed he understood him?

completely understandable how he handled this. The man cussing though? not at all, and he was failing to do his job by ignoring him if he did understand him, insubordination.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:30 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator34 View Post
I would if they blantantly ignored me and their response was critical to getting the job done.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,944 times
Quote:
Did you join the forums just to ask me that? I'm honored.
No. I joined before you even posted this thread.

Who cares if he was "offended". This is America and he came here knowing fully that he would be a minority and not like everyone else. If he can't handle being asked "Do you speak English" then maybe he would have a better life where he is a majority, in China.

People need to stop worrying about being so Politically Correct, it has ruined this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment