Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:09 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times

Advertisements

I remember how my brother got his first job decades ago. My dad came home from work and told my brother something like, "I got you a job as a bus boy at X restaurant--you start tonight." My brother was so pissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 06:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
I applied for a job 350 miles away by going online at 11 at night. They called the next day and asked me to come for an interview in the next two days. I drove there, interviewed, and got the job the next day. I had 1 week to get ready LOL!! I stayed 11 years and my boss was the best boss I ever had. Went with my gut.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:15 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times
I moved for my H's career and became a SAHM. I missed working, but we lived in a tiny town with not a lot of opportunities in my field. My H told me about a job posting he had seen for a content tech. It was an internal posting only, but the company is very good at hiring spouses, so he brought my resume in to work the next day. One of the members of the hiring committee grabbed my resume away from the hiring manager and said nope, she's overqualified for your job.

He called me the next day for an "interview", which was basically him trying to sell me on working for him. He asked no technical questions or traditional interview questions. I had zero experience in the particular technologies they were working in and admitted it. The manager told me that since my H had a reputation as a hard worker, it made sense that he would have married a wife with a similar work ethic, and that he trusted I could learn whatever I needed to learn.

I was hired in as a part-time contractor because it took him a few months to get approval for a permanent position. He was a great boss - we worked well together.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM

454 posts, read 495,574 times
I was looking for a job after being laid off way back in 2000. I felt like I had sent out a million resumes and was just fed up.

I saw a job posting that I was qualified for and noticed the ad was signed by "Tyler Durden". I wrote the professional cover letter but at the end, I said I had no problems whatsoever with man teats. I was called the next day I worked there until they unfortunately went out of business. It was a great job!

Old 04-06-2014, 03:09 AM

89 posts, read 207,186 times
Odd way: Years ago, when I worked for an engineering firm, I applied online. They called me in for an interview. They asked me about my experience and if I could do the job that was posted. They didn't ask any silly personality questions. A week later, I was sent a job offer. These days, that would be odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment