Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:54 PM

7,919 posts, read 7,802,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
SHH! Don't say this near any of the New England boards! For some reason, although their jobs base continues to erode, and their taxes keep going up, and their discretionary incomes keep decreasing, and the illegals keep crowding around them in Section 8 conversions done out of desperation by people who evacuated without selling their overpriced shacks - they insist that as far housing goes, "asking price" equals "real value". That is to say, the more indebted the prospective seller makes himself, the more the shack is "worth".
Huh? The job base in the northeast is large. It isn't that large in other areas. California is nice don't get me wrong but unless they repeal prop 13 they are ungovernable. The Boston housing market never really popped like Atlanta, Orlando, Vegas etc.

"I'm not complaining but the fact of the matter is the jobs being advertised in town here overwhelmingly aren't asking for college degrees.. For professional jobs yes, but like others have stated the number of applicants generally far exceed the number of positions filled. What we have is an over-educated, indebted work force. Not good.."

eh. that's when you take a risk and plan to work for experience and then come back. I've seen it happen plenty of times. If you can show that you can move or at least travel that gives you a leg up on everyone. Some jobs do require traveling (truckers for starters). Most people I know of with decent jobs do have to travel time to time. Either domestically to the west coast/south or asia and europe. The more you tell a place "No" the closer you are to the chopping block.

"There is a HUGE education/skills mismatch in this country. My graduate school experience was spent learning about theories and being used as a grunt worker for professors' pet projects."

The funny thing about theories though is that...well. They are true.

Human history compounds and frankly there is very little that is unique or special about some businesses dilemma or situation. I remember a meeting I had a long time ago where issues were brought up and line by line I could detail how the same arguments were said decades if not generations ago.

Once you apply some logic, game theory and statistics it pretty much solves itself.

I remember in the fall of 2008 when some thought that "No one knew that the market would crash"
um..I know of plenty that called it.
Nourial Roubini, Bill Gross, Mohammad Alberian, Peter Schiff, Nassim Taleb, Meridith Whitney etc. but what they are largely academic and use "theory".

The problem that exists in much of the business sector is they take the "I'm special" argument waayyyy too deep. Selling should not be hard, marketing should not be hard, training people, profitability etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:15 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,563,190 times
The housing crash was predicted well over a decade before it even happened; it was just a matter of time, although many cities and states were hit substantially harder than states where the crash was essentially nonexistent or barely noticeable.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:09 AM

624 posts, read 762,542 times
So no, going to college doesn't "guarantee" you a job. But NOT going to college pretty much leaves you at the mercy of Walmart and McDonald's.

I realize it's a terrible position to be in, but I would rather be at the mercy of McD's or Walmart than the shake down artists that are in the student loan business.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,918,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
So no, going to college doesn't "guarantee" you a job. But NOT going to college pretty much leaves you at the mercy of Walmart and McDonald's.

I realize it's a terrible position to be in, but I would rather be at the mercy of McD's or Walmart than the shake down artists that are in the student loan business.
And work minimum wage for the rest of your life with no retirement? Even those places are rapidly requiring a degree to do the manager positions.

And it's ridiculous for posters to refer to Bill Gates or Jobs or Zuckerburg. These were one in a million prodigies with very high IQs and abilities. Definitely not the average person.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM

42 posts, read 50,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Ah, that data shows some improvement over the previous year, that's good news of an improving economy.

284,000 College Graduates Had Minimum-Wage Jobs Last Year
I am telling you people, puppies taste like donuts now, things are so good.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 PM

29,776 posts, read 24,865,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
And work minimum wage for the rest of your life with no retirement? Even those places are rapidly requiring a degree to do the manager positions.

And it's ridiculous for posters to refer to Bill Gates or Jobs or Zuckerburg. These were one in a million prodigies with very high IQs and abilities. Definitely not the average person.
I have a friend with a business management degree who has been working at Arbys for 2 years. Prior to that, he was unemployed for a year and a half after graduating. College does not guarantee anything. It merely allows for someone to bid on higher paying jobs.

Not having a college degree does not tie one down to the worst jobs available. It simply means the individual can't enter some high paying careers. You can only work one career, and since there are plenty of options out there, these folks can still become successful in their own right. They still have the option of pursuing meaningful occupations, usually starting at the bottom and proving their worth. These folks can easily open doors in exchange for effort and meaningful contribution in their field. The trick is picking something besides retail.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,796,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
If you thought paying tens of thousands of dollars for a college education guaranteed a high-paying job, think again.

About 260,000 people who had a college or professional degree made at or below the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour last year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

260,000 graduates in minimum wage jobs - Mar. 31, 2014
Perhaps look at stats o unemployment and life time earning first. more and more without a specific skill your at bottom forever unless its self employed. A lot of degrees that equal no usable skills in college tho.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,872,165 times
Quote:
This. I don't get why people point to them for the success can happen. If we look at small business stats, most fail. Admittedly most are restaurants and most just have the idea that if I cook, I can start a restaurant. Just watch Restaurant Impossible for reference to this. Many owners can cook and think that is the only thing to running a restaurant. I'm sure you can apply that to many different fields as well.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 PM

29,776 posts, read 24,865,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This. I don't get why people point to them for the success can happen. If we look at small business stats, most fail. Admittedly most are restaurants and most just have the idea that if I cook, I can start a restaurant. Just watch Restaurant Impossible for reference to this. Many owners can cook and think that is the only thing to running a restaurant. I'm sure you can apply that to many different fields as well.
And many learn from their mistakes, and give it another try. Obviously, many businesses do succeed, and the owners stand to make tons of money. More money than they would ever earn as an employee. People start businesses because the upside justifies taking the risk. If everyone only looked at the potential downside, no one would start a business.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:30 PM

260 posts, read 605,154 times
Quote:
And work minimum wage for the rest of your life with no retirement?
I have many friends who don't have a college degree and are getting paid well above the minimum wage and enjoy what they do. Quit spreading the lie that no degree means no opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment