Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 08:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,432,885 times

Advertisements

Many application processes online now require you to fill out the info that is extracted from your resume. I know many of these processes run the huge number of apps through a computer screening that looks for key words and scores the applicants.

Do you think this is resulting in better employees or worse than in the days of just sending in a resume and having it reviewed by a human?

On one hand the computer does do a good job of scoring probably and eliminating those with little to no relevant experience and skills. But on the other hand many people understand how these systems work and can manipulate their info in their favor to get a good score from the computer. I know after the computer scores then a human will look at the resumes but still many many good applicants will get denied by the computer.

One of my co-workers has this down to a science. He gets an interview at almost every job he applies for at my company but never gets the job. I'm just thinking maybe many good candidates are being passed over because they don't know how the computer scores.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,056,692 times
I think an automated process does a fantastic job at screening out hard skills, and it is horrible at sniffing out soft skills.

Second, any process can be gamed, and that is exactly what is happening right now as to render the entire process useless.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:44 AM

2,617 posts, read 6,996,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Many application processes online now require you to fill out the info that is extracted from your resume. I know many of these processes run the huge number of apps through a computer screening that looks for key words and scores the applicants.

Do you think this is resulting in better employees or worse than in the days of just sending in a resume and having it reviewed by a human?

On one hand the computer does do a good job of scoring probably and eliminating those with little to no relevant experience and skills. But on the other hand many people understand how these systems work and can manipulate their info in their favor to get a good score from the computer. I know after the computer scores then a human will look at the resumes but still many many good applicants will get denied by the computer.

One of my co-workers has this down to a science. He gets an interview at almost every job he applies for at my company but never gets the job. I'm just thinking maybe many good candidates are being passed over because they don't know how the computer scores.

What do you all think?
Sounds like his "science" isn't working very well then, does it? He doesn't get the job cause he had to game it to get the interview and the interview betrayed his lack of qualifications to do the job. Guys like that are hated by employers and, with few exceptions, don't get hired.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,432,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Sounds like his "science" isn't working very well then, does it? He doesn't get the job cause he had to game it to get the interview and the interview betrayed his lack of qualifications to do the job. Guys like that are hated by employers and, with few exceptions, don't get hired.
That's my point though. He has the science down of getting an interview and this prevents someone more qualified from being offered an interview.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,548,955 times
Quote:
What do you all think?
Companies hire when they *need* to. Employees help grow the company. Unemployment or better still non-participation is very high right now. So it appears the hiring processes don't work very well whatever is being used now.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 AM

6,563 posts, read 11,209,008 times
Quote:
That's my point though. He has the science down of getting an interview and this prevents someone more qualified from being offered an interview.
This is assuming the hiring organization have a cap on how many they interview. I know we typically keep interviewing until we fine the right/best candidate. Of course, its still very possible that the best candidate was "weeded out" early. Which goes to the OP's point. However, there are also various factors on why you get weeded out early (when perhaps you have good qualifications). It can be the automated system, or it could be ineffectively written resumes.

Even with automated systems - I've had to go through 20-30 resumes at a clip. And I'd be lying if I said I've never just tossed some because the format/organization wasn't easy for me to read. Could these folks have been some of the more qualified - sure.

No process is ever going to be perfect.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,767,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
There's two issues.
1) You could have gamed written applications back in the day. All you have to do is put in the same buzzwords and say you had the experience.
2) Who's to say their interview skills aren't the problem? They can be great candidates but if there is a better fit, the company will go with the better fit. It's easy to think that the problem is them but occam's razor is being applied to a very complex problem. If they do a great interview but an equal candidate does amazing on it, that's the difference and why the amazing interview.

Quote:
Perhaps but as I said, you could have seen this before computer applications. One could also say the length and how intensive the application process is could also keep more qualified applicants out of the process because they do not want to spend an hour on the application asking if they had the preferred requirements and get asked about stealing several times in the skills assessment portion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search